Garmin Pilot databases...What's included?

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
I'm looking at getting Garmin Pilot for my iPad. Looking at the subscriptions, I figure I'll get the U.S. Premium so I can get the geo-referenced airport taxi charts. At the bottom of the Garmin page, where you select which subscription you want, there is an add-on section where you can add Garmin North America Navigation Data for $24.99 and Jeppesen North America NavData for $49.99. What is that, and do I need it?

From what I can see it's just for matching the Pilot database exactly to the DB in your avionics if you use something like the FlighStream to sync them. I don't have the data or a FlighStream and my Garmin Pilot seems to have everything I've ever wanted(airways, airports, navaids, fixes, etc)

Also note: If you have Garmin Avionics in your plane you can get a bit of a discount on Premium if you have a Garmin subscription for your avionics.

I only have the US Standard subscription. It gives Garmin VFR and IFR maps, as well as VFR, WAC, IFR Low, IFR High charts.

In the process of buying a plane now that has a GNS530 in it. Going to be taking over the subscription on that for what's left on the updates.
So, what you are saying, I don't need the add-on database?

Back