Can a Diamond DA62 Carry 7 people?

I didn't like the styling too much in the beginning but now it's starting to grow on me.

That strake on the tail is LOW with 7 people. I'd be scared it would hit

AvGas nozzles wont fit in a Jet-A hole.

Other way around, Jet-A fuel openings are bigger than AV gas openings, so Jet-A nozzles should not fit in AV gas planes, but AV gas nozzles will easily fit in Jet-A openings. Usually not a safety issue to to put AV gas in a turbine which can burn anything, but the diesel DA62 unfortunately is not a turbine, and would not fly with AV gas. Probably a good idea to supervise fueling and then lock the fuel caps.

I didn't like the styling too much in the beginning but now it's starting to grow on me.
Same here, I hated it when I first saw it now I love it. The DA62 is an awesome and actually very capable plane

Really you should be supervising fueling every time. At least sticking around long enough to make sure the stickers on the truck that pulls up say the right thing.

Other way around, Jet-A fuel openings are bigger than AV gas openings, so Jet-A nozzles should not fit in AV gas planes, but AV gas nozzles will easily fit in Jet-A openings. Usually not a safety issue to to put AV gas in a turbine which can burn anything, but the diesel DA62 unfortunately is not a turbine, and would not fly with AV gas. Probably a good idea to supervise fueling and then lock the fuel caps.

What he said. And the jet a to 100ll cap size differences have occasionally been ignored by some fuelers too. Rare but it happens

The DA62 is a dream plane...
It is, and the price is comparable to a top of the line SR22. You lose the safety of the chute, but you gain an engine. You lose the $15K repack fee but you have more maintenance, plus the RG aspect. There are many tradeoffs. I think people are also scared of the diesel.. they know and love Lycos and Contis

With a range of 1,275 you can swap fuel.....somebody is going to have to use the restroom out of 7 people.
Looks like they were doing a LA-SF run. The range ring was showing 2:15 before eating into reserves.

It is, and the price is comparable to a top of the line SR22. You lose the safety of the chute, but you gain an engine. You lose the $15K repack fee but you have more maintenance, plus the RG aspect. There are many tradeoffs. I think people are also scared of the diesel.. they know and love Lycos and Contis
Ummm how are they comparable in price? Last I looked a fully loaded SR22 with all possible options including custom paint was only pushing 850 K.. The DA62 was closer to 1.3M for standard config and could hit 1.4M with everything.
That is about a 60% price delta.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Ouch, @tspear I didn't know they were that diff, I thought a DA62 could be had for under, but close to, one mil

At that price point a lot of other options are available on the used market, you start approaching turbine territory

Ouch, @tspear I didn't know they were that diff, I thought a DA62 could be had for under, but close to, one mil

At that price point a lot of other options are available on the used market, you start approaching turbine territory

Yeah, I cannot afford either, but the DA62 is actually competing against the Piper M350 which cannot carry as much or far, but really is cabin class, or looking at a 50% share in an SF50....

I really just glad there are those that can afford them and sell them in a few years for a lot less in the used market...

Tim

Nonsense. You'd be very lucky if your engine torched before V1 so you could abort T.O. There have been accidents due to that exact misfueling.
I actually heard the same, some guy passing through the FBO when I was there said that he took half avgas in his turbine engine for some maintenance reason every so often. Mixed right in with the Jet A. I was under the assumption that you could burn anything in a turbine engine, you just had to have the hot end inspected or something along those lines after a certain amount of time. Am I wrong?

I run refined fry oil in my turbine

In the C-425 Avgas could be used if prist was added, and then inspected or limited to 25 or 100 hours, I don't remember.

Yeah, I cannot afford either, but the DA62 is actually competing against the Piper M350 which cannot carry as much or far, but really is cabin class, or looking at a 50% share in an SF50....

I really just glad there are those that can afford them and sell them in a few years for a lot less in the used market...

Tim
I do like the DA62 but I think it does have a different mission profile from the M350. I think the M350 is a more serious cross country plane. The M350 is faster, flies higher and it actually does have the same range as the DA62, 1345 nm but the economy cruise speed of the M350 is 20 knots faster. Either way getting those ranges in either at reduced cruise speed is a long time in the saddle. The weather capability of the M350 is going to be better, mainly owing to the ability to get on top most of the time, and when not on top, at least able to navigate in relatively benign IMC conditions safely pressurized at FL 240 or 250 using radar if necessary. The M350 will be cheaper fully optioned with lots of standard features on the M350 like radar, FIKI and AC that are options on the DA62 though. Notwithstanding a DA62 is a great aircraft for carrying a lot, pretty long distances. Very modern with all the G1000 bells and whistles as well as ESP.

I actually heard the same, some guy passing through the FBO when I was there said that he took half avgas in his turbine engine for some maintenance reason every so often. Mixed right in with the Jet A. I was under the assumption that you could burn anything in a turbine engine, you just had to have the hot end inspected or something along those lines after a certain amount of time. Am I wrong?

Should be in your POH. My PT6 is limited to 150 hours of AV gas between overhauls. Fuel density is lower, so expect slightly decreased range for the same amount of fuel. Only time I would run LL is if I were in a remote area and there was no Jetfuel available. May not apply to all turbines, so check the POH.

100LL is an emergency fuel in the T-38. Requires the addition of 3% oil per volume, since it lacks the lubricity of jet a. But it pretty much grounds the engines after use, per MX directives. Operationally in 2017, there is no reason we would purposely operate with 100LL. The command would rather pay the hangar fees or accept the hull loss on the ground, than buy the risk of operating with alternate fuel. Kinder softer CYA world we live in now....

Flew test flight in da62 during sun n fun this year. Got hour and half maybe. The sales people were day and night difference from last year. Plane was very nice. If it was pressurized I would probably buy one. As I rememeber fuel burn was really low. Flew very good on one engine. Fadec Control so no brainer on engines. Landed pretty much like the Malibu.

As I understand it, turbine engines can run on many fuels if their fuel control can be adjusted to compensate.
Back in '83 when I started working on G-1 turboprops my boss/co-worker told me about it happening to a corporate G-1, both engines over-temping on t.o. roll. In '85 when I went to G-1 school (taught be Flight Safety Int,) at the factory in Savannah, they were talking about two separate incidents where both engines were over-temped due to being fueled with av gas.

I took a demo in the DA62 as well and enjoyed it (I think I did a pirep of it on here). My take was that it was overall very nice but pretty pricey as a new plane (no used option, yet of course) and a bit slow, as well as fairly old school panel but amazingly easy engine management and quite easy to fly, even on one engine. I'm not a huge fan of the big center stick for a traveling machine where you would be on autopilot 95% of the time but I guess you could get used to that.

To read what people have posted tells me Diamond got it right this time with the DA62. How that plays out in the marketplace is anybody's guess but I hope they do well with it, there is no comparison in the market today. For this twin to get around the same fuel burn as a single engine is amazing in itself, 7 Seats? Nope Can the DA fly on one engine? Yes it can, probably better than most light twins in the past. I understand there are going to be drawbacks, Maintenance costs, Price..etc

Hey Bugatti's are among the most expensive cars but they sell.....lots! Why not a DA62? ;)

Back