DMV Area: WIFI or Aviation Adventures

Brendan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingkiwi28
Hi,

I'm looking to get back into flying after a long break, but haven't flown in the DC area. I live near Bethesda Maryland and was looking at flying at KGAI - Washington International Aviation Academy, or Octopus Flying Club. Otherwise, even though it's a bit of a drive I was looking at: KJYO - Aviation Adventures.

Does anyone in the area have any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

I drove from NE DC to KHEF at Aviation Adventures because I thought their planes, instructors, service was worth the hour drive. Thoroughly thought of it as a first class operation.

Hey, another local. Welcome to PoA!

If you are a Fed, contractor, military, military retired, or a first responder, Fort Meade (NSA) has an aero club - it's a big club, multiple airplanes, and they focus on training; PPL, comm, CFI, IFR. Google Fort Meade Flying Activity. Rates are good for the DC area. KFME is the identifier, by the way.

If you are a Fed, contractor, military, military retired, or a first responder, Fort Meade (NSA) has an aero club - it's a big club, multiple airplanes, and they focus on training; PPL, comm, CFI, IFR. Google Fort Meade Flying Activity. Rates are good for the DC area. KFME is the identifier, by the way.

Double check eligibility requirements, I believe they are more restrictive now. They just did a big purge of the membership to increase aircraft availability.

They dumped some folks a while back, who were reserving, and then no-showing - might have been something more recent I'm not aware of; there is/was one a**hole "manager" at NSA was making himself obnoxious, for sure, and was not a fan of the club. But worth exploring if you are eligible.

Unfortunately I'm not Fed, contractor or military etc, but thank you for the recommendation.

Both are good options and definitely something to be said about having an airport 20 mins away. Plane and instructor availability is going to be better at WIFA but a club is a great way to build relationships and friendships with a pilot community. Expect a longer training timeline in a club though. So would say depends on your timeline. Welcome back!

Hi I am in Rockville. Please Msg me back if you are intersted im sharing cost of flying. I am in search of flying budy to go airport hopping.

Hi,

I'm looking to get back into flying after a long break, but haven't flown in the DC area. I live near Bethesda Maryland and was looking at flying at KGAI - Washington International Aviation Academy, or Octopus Flying Club. Otherwise, even though it's a bit of a drive I was looking at: KJYO - Aviation Adventures.

Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks!

I'm in Leesburg (KJYO) and I've had a great experience flying with Lorcan Kelly from Av-Ed. That flight school recently changed ownership and got a fresh investment including some new aircraft - may be worth a look as well.

Double check eligibility requirements, I believe they are more restrictive now. They just did a big purge of the membership to increase aircraft availability.

"FMFA offers recreational flying opportunities for club members that are active or retired military, federal government employees, or Civilian Air Patrol. "

Did they mean Civil Air Patrol? If so, anyone who is service minded and otherwise eligible to join CAP could also join this. It would be sketchy to join CAP and then never do anything with them....

Back