Huh? Woman complains about Hobby Lobby display

I once got criticized for saying somebody was a Jew instead of a "Jewish person". I had no idea the term "Jew" has become a slur. Is it offensive if I say that someone is a Lutheran? Or do I need to refer to them as a Lutheranish person?

Jew isn't derogatory. Not at all. I have Jewish friends and have them say it.

I recall a controversy a couple of years ago when a sports reporter used the term "a chink in his armor" in describing a weakness in a Chinese players game. Really upset some folks in the Asian community and on the left in general.

And then there was Howard Cosell and Kimmy The Greek.

Last edited:
Well, Doug Adler is suing ESPN for getting fired when he made a comment that Venus Williams was playing a style of "guerrilla" tennis. Apparently there is another word that sounds similar that would be offensive if he used it.

Cotton balls should be called fluffy balls, but then someone would be offended by the word balls.

They prefer to be called "reproductively challenged canine companions". RCCC will be protesting in front if your house shortly. Fortunately, shouting "SQUIRREL!" usually disperses them quickly.

And asking, "Whoooo's a good boy?!?!?" really messes with their heads because they all think THEY are!

We had a minor furor in DC a while back because one of the mayor's staff used the word "niggardly" in a proper context and was strung up and fired over it. At least the NAACP got some backbone and pointed out that people shouldn't have to censor their speech because those who hear it might be stupid.

A few years ago a Dallas County commissioner discussing a failed initiative called it a "black hole", which promptly sent two black commissioners into a tirade about the use of racist terminology.

Of course if that sort of thing were to happen today, quite a few more people would go into tilt.

A lot of neutered dogs self identify as *******....
far-side-dogs-tutored.jpg

Reactions: SDB
I had a friend whose wife, upon hearing someone discuss some "Mexicans" (in a conversation about some people who were business colleagues from Mexico), claimed it was a derogatory term. Confronted with the reality that people who are from mexico are "Mexicans," just as people from Texas are "Texans," she refused to admit that the term was not offensive, per se.

After extensive discussion, it was concluded that the new and proper term was "FFSOB," or Friends From South of the Border.

A word it just a word. It's the speaker's intent that makes it derogatory or not. Unfortunately people are bad at interpreting others' motives.

Worse than that. People assume others motives when they just could ask them.
You could have just said what you meant then I wouldn't have to be bothered with asking your meaning and having you bungle the response. Don't bother me, Oprah is on and I have bon-bons to eat.

You could have just said what you meant then I wouldn't have to be bothered with asking your meaning and having you bungle the response. Don't bother me, Oprah is on and I have bon-bons to eat.

New cars! New cars for everybody!
(Oh crap. You all have to pay taxes on those? Oh. My bad!) LOL

That's got to be the defining moment of Oprah for me. LOL. Totally awesome.

A word it just a word. It's the speaker's intent that makes it derogatory or not. Unfortunately people are bad at interpreting others' motives.

If you're goal is to be offended, you will be ;)

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about you Mari. :D

I had a friend whose wife, upon hearing someone discuss some "Mexicans" (in a conversation about some people who were business colleagues from Mexico), claimed it was a derogatory term. Confronted with the reality that people who are from mexico are "Mexicans," just as people from Texas are "Texans," she refused to admit that the term was not offensive, per se.

After extensive discussion, it was concluded that the new and proper term was "FFSOB," or Friends From South of the Border.
"Border" is a trigger word to some people.

Back