My $100.00 Home Gym

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
A guy way, way, way out in the Middle of Nowhere wanted this gone, so he priced it reasonably. I've been looking for one, so I pounced on it like a cat on a bird.

home-gym.jpg

It's a Weider 8630. List price was about $600.00 new. This one's in pretty good condition with no missing parts, torn seats, or other annoyances. It also was only partially disassembled, which made both the transport and the reassembly easier.

The nearest decent gym to me is about 40 miles away, so I've been looking for something along these lines for a while now. I think it's well worth the $100.00 and three hours of driving. It will pay for itself quickly in gas and gym fees.

Rich

Well, it's probably worth the $100. Just make sure you inspect the cables/pulleys and grease the slides as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home gyms are the way to go...one day I will have a home “gym” - simply a Power Rack with a bench to do squats, bench press, deadlift, barbell row, and overhead press!

A guy way, way, way out in the Middle of Nowhere wanted this gone, so he priced it reasonably. I've been looking for one, so I pounced on it like a cat on a bird.

home-gym.jpg

It's a Weider 8630. List price was about $600.00 new. This one's in pretty good condition with no missing parts, torn seats, or other annoyances. It also was only partially disassembled, which made both the transport and the reassembly easier.

The nearest decent gym to me is about 40 miles away, so I've been looking for something along these lines for a while now. I think it's well worth the $100.00 and three hours of driving. It will pay for itself quickly in gas and gym fees.

Rich
Good find. Enjoy

Well, it's probably worth the $100. Just make sure you inspect the cables/pulleys and grease the slides as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything seems in good shape. Really, all it needed was lubrication. I get the impression the guy bought it for his kids, and they lost interest. That seems to happen a lot with exercise equipment.

Rich

To your health Rich. Part of the reason I enjoy going to the gym and having a trainer is he is constantly inventing new ways to torture me. It keeps it interesting so whatever works...

Everything seems in good shape. Really, all it needed was lubrication. I get the impression the guy bought it for his kids, and they lost interest. That seems to happen a lot with exercise equipment.

Rich
Don't let it happen to you.

Pretty normal for home gym equipment to get bought and never used. A friend of mine bought some really expensive (multi thousand dollar) elliptical around 10 years ago. I told her "It'll be a nice place for you to hang clothes." She didn't appreciate that.

Few months later went by her house... yep, clothes hanging on it. Hadn't used it once.

My office has a gym which I need to make more use of. Find myself working through lunch a lot, which would be the optimal time to use it. But I've started doing horseback riding and if I can keep up doing that most weeks, then I'm getting a good workout just doing that.

We "inherited" just that machine in the basement of the last house we bought. Needed new cables - originals had cracked coverings and seem stretched.
We've replaced them from manufacturer at some cost.
But does seem to be a nicely engineered piece of kit.

Yep, we stored some bowflex clothes hangers in our basement for several years. Until our neighbors bought it and stored it in their garage...

For years, my home gym was running shoes.

Eventually, we got a mid/high end treadmill that we nearly wore out. Now it gets used in bad wx for walks.

For years, my home gym was running shoes.

Eventually, we got a mid/high end treadmill that we nearly wore out. Now it gets used in bad wx for walks.

The doctor told me a while ago that I needed to add resistance work to the aerobic work I was already doing to control some sort of other metabolic thing that's going on alongside (or under, or over) the diabetes. That wasn't a problem save for the fact that the nearest decent gym that's reliably open during something resembling a regular schedule is about 40 miles away. This solves that problem.

Rich

The doctor told me a while ago that I needed to add resistance work to the aerobic work I was already doing to control some sort of other metabolic thing that's going on alongside (or under, or over) the diabetes. That wasn't a problem save for the fact that the nearest decent gym that's reliably open during something resembling a regular schedule is about 40 miles away. This solves that problem.

Rich
Yeah, time takes its toll. Fortunately, we have a well equipped Y nearby where we can do our miles in the lap pool. Now I'm paying (knees and hips) for all those road miles.

Home gyms are the way to go...one day I will have a home “gym” - simply a Power Rack with a bench to do squats, bench press, deadlift, barbell row, and overhead press!

That's what I have. Also got a rower a while back. It doesn't see as much usage as the other equipment, but I will pump out a hundred or so strokes to kill time every now and then. This summer I finally broke down and got a treadmill. So far that seems to be getting quite a bit of use. Thinking about getting some Rouge weights next summer to supplement the el cheapos I have now.

I walk every day, threadmill some days, and use dumbbells. Jump in the pool once in awhile. Lots of yard work this time of the year too.

I eat my lunch at my desk then go to the gym everyday during my lunch hour. Lift 3 days and stretch the other two. That's a good find Rich, hope it gives you great service.

Mrs. Steingar has a treadmill in my home office that's been unused for years. She won't let me get rid of it because she might use it some day.

Yup, I'd like to have a power rack with a lat tower. Easy and compact way to do all of the usual press motions, squats, pull-up/chin-ups as well as weight storage. I think a separate rowing machine and some assortment of barbells are about the only other thing I'd need.

Yup, I'd like to have a power rack with a lat tower. Easy and compact way to do all of the usual press motions, squats, pull-up/chin-ups as well as weight storage. I think a separate rowing machine and some assortment of barbells are about the only other thing I'd need.

Small frig to keep your beer cold. You're welcome. :D

My wife bought an exercise machine for me with the thought that if she bought it, I'd use it.

She was wrong.

I did the opposite, bought wifey a treadmill (she wanted it) and she doesn't use it. :dunno:

This really is all you need (and some more plates of course). Now...this will still cost you a pretty penny. If your lucky you can find nice equipment on Craigslist for under $1000 (power rack, quality powerlifting barbell, bench, plates). New, a nice setup from Rogue will cost you ~$2500+. Unfortunately I am in a condo, so a home gym isn't viable for me. But when I own a home I will without a doubt be getting a nice setup like this.

In general, machines are a waste. You can only do so much and you certainly aren't going to see the results that you would by doing the big five compound lifts. Now I understand that may not be viable for the older folks to be deadlifting, squatting, etc. In that case, then machines are acceptable IMO.

Power Rack.jpg

I suppose I could spend upwards of twenty grand to have the same setup that I pay Mr. 24 Hour $12 a month for, but a) where would I put it, b) where are my spotters and c) where is my eye candy.

And, once a year, the counter girl wishes me a happy birthday.

This really is all you need (and some more plates of course). Now...this will still cost you a pretty penny. If your lucky you can find nice equipment on Craigslist for under $1000 (power rack, quality powerlifting barbell, bench, plates). New, a nice setup from Rogue will cost you ~$2500+. Unfortunately I am in a condo, so a home gym isn't viable for me. But when I own a home I will without a doubt be getting a nice setup like this.

In general, machines are a waste. You can only do so much and you certainly aren't going to see the results that you would by doing the big five compound lifts. Now I understand that may not be viable for the older folks to be deadlifting, squatting, etc. In that case, then machines are acceptable IMO.

View attachment 56519

Agree free weights are the best since they'll work more muscles, although machines do have their advantages for some exercises. Getting a few free weights would be a nice compliment to what Rich has, some dumb bells would be fine.

I suppose I could spend upwards of twenty grand to have the same setup that I pay Mr. 24 Hour $12 a month for, but a) where would I put it, b) where are my spotters and c) where is my eye candy.

And, once a year, the counter girl wishes me a happy birthday.
Sold

this was my home gym. we spent maybe 200 on everything. it was great for a little while. the elliptical still gets some use.

Attachments

• 10690019_10204195591505514_7289670748012585640_n-1.jpg
    10690019_10204195591505514_7289670748012585640_n-1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 19
Agree free weights are the best since they'll work more muscles, although machines do have their advantages for some exercises. Getting a few free weights would be a nice compliment to what Rich has, some dumb bells would be fine.
Take a job working as manual labor and you'll never have to work-out a day in your life...

WB-PR10-LTO-L.jpg I'm a fan of the Rogue stuff, but I always liked the design on the PowerTec rack, too. Guys on the lifting forums will go 'round and 'round about what rack is best. As long as it holds the weight, I really don't care.

I am somewhat of a "workout program" snob for several reasons.

1. There are a lot of folks in the gym who have no idea what they are doing or why they are doing it
2. There are a ton of junk personal trainers out there who set their clients up with a typical split body routine (4-5 day). This is a waste of time.
3. Most folks spend way to much time on machines and isolation movements.

Unfortunately now a days people change programs like underwear. And there are so many programs out there that try to sell you some "secret" formula workout routine. It is all ********. I've seen some of the same people in my gym for the past two years, doing the same routine and lifting the same weight. Your body is lazy. Building muscle is the last thing on your body's to do list. You have to stress your body and progressively lift heavier if you are every going to build good muscle mass and strength.

If you truly want to build muscle mass and strength then go with legendary programs like StrongLifts or Mark Rippletoe's Starting Strength (there are many other variations of these that are fine as well). These are classic 5x5 or 3x5 programs. You only do the main compound lifts - barbell squat, bench, barbell row, overhead press, and deadlift. Starting Strength adds in Power Cleans. These programs are built upon progressively lifting heavier. Every time you go in the gym you add 5 more lbs to the lift. These programs work because they are no nonsense, simple programs that have worked for the past 100 years. Classics like Reg Park, Bill Pearl, Arnold, etc all did some form of 5x5 at some point. You don't need some fancy dancy 20 excercise workout 5 days a week. Any new lifter (or anyone that has not done some serious weight lifting in the past) should be doing a full body compound movement routine like 5x5. You have the bonus of "newbie gains" as your body responds very quickly when you stress it with these big compound movements. The beauty of these 5x5 programs like Stronglifts - they are 3 days a week.

As you become a more advanced lifter you move on from these programs as you plateau. This is where you benefit from split body routines or more advanced programs where your at a level that your body really does need more rest in between workouts (hence why you workout certain muscle groups on a certain day). But until you reach that point their is no reason to NOT do these full body compound lifts (and yes all 5 main compound lifts work your entire body if you are doing them with proper form).

I am naturally an ectomorph (skinny, lean, tall, "hardgainer"). I weighed 160 lbs forever, I am 6'1". I tried all sorts of typical split body routines. I saw results, but they weren't spectacular. Did a ton of reading and research and gave Stronglifts a shot. Now I am 195lbs (and no I am not anywhere close to fat or chubby). My strength and lifts have gone up significantly and I have yet to plateau. It is also a lot of fun as you are progressively lifting more weight everytime you are in the gym. You really see results and progression. StrongLifts 5x5 also has an amazing app for your phone that you can track everything on. It is dead simple.

TL;DR - Do a 5x5 program if you want to build muscle mass and strength. StrongLifts or Starting Strength.

Last edited:
View attachment 56526 I'm a fan of the Rogue stuff, but I always liked the design on the PowerTec rack, too. Guys on the lifting forums will go 'round and 'round about what rack is best. As long as it holds the weight, I really don't care.

Yea Titan makes nice stuff too. As long as it isn't junk. People have actually died from ****ty power racks that had safety pins fail, crappy benches fail, etc. Rogue is definitely overpriced, but it sure is cool stuff!

Another New Years resolution gone bad,and you benefit. I prefer the commercial gym,the sights are more relaxing ,as you work out.

I've actually done the same routine for the past... ten years? Longer than that. Minimum 1 hour of cardio on the elliptical (I prefer the Precor AMT) or stationary bike followed by:

Chest press, shoulder press and curls, or their dumbbell equivalents (I have a bad back, so I'm using more machines these days) on push days, and:

Ab crunches, pull-downs, reverse flies and weighted rows on alternating pull days. All three sets, 12x10x10 reps, increasing weight.

I don't power bench anymore. I weigh a little over 170 lbs. In my best shape I could bench three plates (315 lbs) and crank out ten reps of 225 like they were nothing. Can't touch that now. I do enough bike riding and cardio I don't bother with leg exercises.

Yeah I could probably do a better program, but it works.

Back