Can a Private pilot fly a company plane with passengers?

jsparks

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JSparks
hypothetical question for possible future use....

Can I as a private pilot in a business (non avation related business) owned plane or a plane in which the business credit card rents, fly as pic with passengers for business related travel? The purpose for the flight is purely for speed of transportation and not for compensation in any way. My employment is in no way related to flying.

I see information related to reimbursing such flights and it gets a little muddy. This situation in my eyes isn't about reimbursement because no personal funds would be used.

If it is company owned or rented, you will need a commercial license. If you rent it personally, you can only be reimbursed the passengers pro rata share of fuel and rental costs.

If you own the plane, as a private pilot you can fly it and be reimbursed by your employer.

But if you are reimbursed, the FAA doesn't want you to carry a passenger. That point was not in the FARs but in a letter; unfortunately I don't recall which letter.

I don't recall how all this changes if you don't own the plane.

Last edited:
If you own the plane, as a private pilot you can fly it and be reimbursed by your employer.

But if you are reimbursed, the FAA doesn't want you to carry a passenger. That point was not in the FARs but in a letter; unfortunately I don't recall which letter.

I don't recall how all this changes if you don't own the plane.
It is in the FAR. Most folks didn't see it that way, but it was:

61.113(b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:

(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment; and

(2) The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire.

Most read it as "additional" compensation, or something similar. The Chief Counsel didn't.

If it is company owned or rented, you will need a commercial license. If you rent it personally, you can only be reimbursed the passengers pro rata share of fuel and rental costs.
and a II or better medical.

Hypothetically, the FAA will never know unless something bad happens during the flight.
Unless, of course, you post it on a public Internet forum or something like that. I iguess he did pose the question as "can I" and not "may I".

Well.... I could be way off base here, but I never thought a corporate flight department (that's what it is afterall) owned a fleet of C172's.
You may be talking about type ratings and something the Feds look at a bit more closely???

Well.... I could be way off base here, but I never thought a corporate flight department (that's what it is afterall) owned a fleet of C172's.
You may be talking about type ratings and something the Feds look at a bit more closely???
Not sure about a "fleet" but there are certainly small companies around which use piston aircraft for regional business travel regularly enough to justify the cost and tax afvantages of ownership. I can see the scenario coming up, even if it's just the "owner" of the company who is the pilot.

Could you make the flight in the company plane with passengers if you were not paid (even your regular wage as an employee) for the flying time? For example, you recorded the flying time as vacation, or whatever time off mechanism the company uses. Obviously the point of this would be to ensure that you can't be considered to be flying "for hire" at all.

You also have to consider what the risk management officer and the insurance carrier will say.

My employer's risk management is good with me as a private pilot flying and being reimbursed. And I am very happy with that.

They require that I have $1 million smooth liabilty coverage, with the employer as a named insured. The smooth part is stupid, however, because it applies a certain level of liability coverage in case I injure/kill passengers occupying my seats, and they seem unaware that the FAA doesn't allow those passengers.

Could you make the flight in the company plane with passengers if you were not paid (even your regular wage as an employee) for the flying time? For example, you recorded the flying time as vacation, or whatever time off mechanism the company uses. Obviously the point of this would be to ensure that you can't be considered to be flying "for hire" at all.
I believe flight time is considered compensation in the eyes of the FAA. If you pay less than your pro rata share, then you are receiving compensation. You should read the letter. It can be found here:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or.../mangiamele - (2009) legal interpretation.pdf

My employer's risk management is good with me as a private pilot flying and being reimbursed. And I am very happy with that.

They require that I have $1 million smooth liabilty coverage, with the employer as a named insured. The smooth part is stupid, however, because it applies a certain level of liability coverage in case I injure/kill passengers occupying my seats, and they seem unaware that the FAA doesn't allow those passengers.
They are probably aware of a couple of things like the reality that the FAA prohibition doesn't guarantee pilot compliance

Or you stumble into a ramp check and the inspector questions a passenger or two.

The passenger presumably could not say that you have been reimbursed for the flight, as that usually happens after the flight, sometimes many days later.

But you're right, carrying a passenger when you shouldn't offers plenty of ways to get in hot water.

Last edited:
The Harrington letter said that flight time as compensation can be avoided by not logging the time, and I haven't heard of the FAA ever rescinding that interpretation.
Ok, there you go then. He can possibly fly a company owned plane with passengers for no compensation as long as he doesn't log PIC and the trip is incidental to his job.

Ok, there you go then. He can possibly fly a company owned plane with passengers for no compensation as long as he doesn't log PIC and the trip is incidental to his job.
I don't think so. I don't see anywhere that the Mangiamele letter mentioned flight time as compensation, so not logging the flight time would have no effect on that interpretation.

I don't think so. I don't see anywhere that the Mangiamele letter mentioned flight time as compensation, so not logging the flight time would have no effect on that interpretation.
The FAA has determined that a pilot cannot pay less than pro rata share of operating expenses of a flight because "if pilots pay less, they would not just be sharing expenses but would actually be flying for compensation or hire
That sounds pretty clearly stated to me. That is a direct quote from the letter. I am not a lawyer, so maybe it can be interpreted differently?

That sounds pretty clearly stated to me. That is a direct quote from the letter. I am not a lawyer, so maybe it can be interpreted differently?
I'm not a lawyer either, but neither the passage you quoted, nor any other part of the Mangiamele letter that I can find, mentions flight time as being the source of the compensation. In the scenario discussed in the letter, the pilot is also receiving money, and taking the logging of flight time out of the mix would not address that problem.

The reg says nothing about LOGGING PIC. It's all about ACTING as PIC.

No, you cannot do it. The flight time is compensation. You are providing a transport service. Looks and quacks like you are flying your co workers around. You'll have a very hard time showing otherwise.

The reg says nothing about LOGGING PIC. It's all about ACTING as PIC.
PIC has nothing to do with it. The issue is receiving compensation while exercising private pilot privileges. If he was acting as SIC, the issue would be the same.

I'm not a lawyer either, but neither the passage you quoted, nor any other part of the Mangiamele letter that I can find, mentions flight time as being the source of the compensation. In the scenario discussed in the letter, the pilot is also receiving money, and taking the logging of flight time out of the mix would not address that problem.
Yes, it does. It specifically says that if a pilot does not pay for his own share of the flight time (pro rata share), it is considered flying for compensation or hire. That is exactly the same thing as flight time being the source of the compensation.

PIC has nothing to do with it. The issue is receiving compensation while exercising private pilot privileges. If he was acting as SIC, the issue would be the same.
True...acting as PIC or SIC, no difference as far as this goes.

My point was that logging or not is irrelevant to the reg.

It's relevant to the extent that the FAA treats logged flight time as something of value that might be considered compensation in certain circumstances.

Yes, it does. It specifically says that if a pilot does not pay for his own share of the flight time (pro rata share), it is considered flying for compensation or hire. That is exactly the same thing as flight time being the source of the compensation.

Only if you focus exclusively on the flight time, and ignore the payment of money. I see no justification in Mangiamele for doing that. And the Harrington letter, which I cited above, makes it clear that the FAA considers the reimbursement of expenses and the accrual of flight time to be two separate concepts.

There is also the issue that the Mangiamele letter was issued years after the Harrington letter, so even if you were right that eliminating flight time as compensation would solve the Mangiamele problem, it wouldn't matter, because when two interpretations are in conflict, the later one supersedes the earlier one to the extent of the conflict.

Last edited:

According to the Chief Counsel's office, logging is relevant to whether the flight time itself is compensation. Unfortunately, that doesn't get around the Mangiamele letter, in which there is also payment of money.

Only if you focus exclusively on the flight time, and ignore the payment of money. I see no justification in Mangiamele for doing that. And the Harrington letter, which I cited above, makes it clear that the FAA considers the reimbursement of expenses and the accrual of flight time to be two separate concepts.

There is also the issue that the Mangiamele letter was issued years after the Harrington letter, so even if you were right that eliminating flight time as compensation would solve the Mangiamele problem, it wouldn't matter, because when two interpretations are in conflict, the later one supersedes the earlier one to the extent of the conflict.
I am not actually arguing that not logging would eliminate the Mangiamele letter. I was just conceding that I don't know the answer. But, on Mangiamele, the FAA clearly considers flight time a form of compensation. I just don't know if that is contigent upon logging it. Personally, I haven't pushed it. If I fly for work, with or without passengers, I just foot the cost of the entire flight. I have never asked a passenger or company to pay even a pro rata share, so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

So what I'm gathering out of all of this is:

My company can pay 100% of the expenses pertaining to the flight as long as I do not carry passengers and the flight is incidental to business?

If I were to carry passengers, I would be personally responsible for 100% of the cost of the flight and only able to recoup 50% of the cost from 1 passenger and 66% for 2 passengers from them personally? The remaining equal share of the expense is mine and can not be reimbursed by the company.

My company can pay 100% of the expenses pertaining to the flight as long as I do not carry passengers and the flight is incidental to business?

If I were to carry passengers, I would be personally responsible for 100% of the cost of the flight and only able to recoup 50% of the cost from 1 passenger and 66% for 2 passengers from them personally? The remaining equal share of the expense is mine and can not be reimbursed by the company.
Yes, as a private pilot. Alternately, you get can your commercial rating (which isn't too tough) and a 2nd class medical and then your company can pay you.

It's pretty bizarre and makes zero sense, but yes, pretty much. But, that isn't to say you can't pad your expense report in other areas to make up the difference.

The point would be irrelevant if you were salaried. Most of the pilots in this type of situation are.

Yes, as a private pilot. Alternately, you get can your commercial rating (which isn't too tough) and a 2nd class medical and then your company can pay you.
Just remember, if get your commercial and you're not instrument rated, you're limited to withing 50 nautical miles during the day only.

...as long as your flights are not more than 50nm from base of operations.

...as long as your flights are not more than 50nm from base of operations.
@lancie00 just indicated an instrument rating allows further. Is that the case? What do you need, rating wise to conduct commercial flights (not scheduled) in a company plane and still stay part 91? I am certainly familiar with many companies that own planes and hire professional pilots and they definitely travel further than 50 miles. I would also say, that all the pro pilots I know have an instrument rating, as well, so maybe it isn't an issue.

Back