Washing a plane recommendations

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
I need to wash a C172. It's tied down and there is no running water available.

Any recommendations?

Get a keg, pizza and a bunch of friends. Use this:
https://washwax.com/

Buy a microfiber mop at target or walmart.

Alternatively, wait for the next rainstorm.

Fly to a place that does have running water available.

Get a tank and pump and bring your own running water.

You don't want to grind abrasives into the paint and especially not the windows. How dirty is it?

Mostly dead bugs and grime. I wonder if using Honda polish will work. That's what I use to clean my motorcycle.

There is a car wash on a relatively unobstructed stretch of M85 (Fort Street) near my house, but it turns out that the wingspan is too wide to allow the airplane to fit through.

I think I will go looking for a sand bar next. Probably start with a touch and go before I commit to a landing.

Last edited:
Lots of airports have outdoor spigots. Take a bucket, some microfiber towels for washing, some more for drying, you favorite degreaser, your favorite detergent, and a hose with a squirt gun at the end. Land, taxi over, and start by degreasing the belly. Then wash starting at the top and working your way down to the bottom. Fly back to your own hangar, wife the bugs off with some water and a nylon scrubby, and do your wax job with a good polymer wax.

When you're done with this get ahold of whoever runs your airport and tel them they should have a public access spigot for washing airplanes. Better yet, move to one and get yourself a hangar. Airplanes belong indoors.

our airport has banned plane washing....illegal per "EPA" regs. Only in a designated area can one do this environmental polluting activity.

Many of us have gone rogue....and do the deed behind closed doors. :eek:

Mostly dead bugs and grime. I wonder if using Honda polish will work. That's what I use to clean my motorcycle.
Bucket of water, large towels. Get the towels sloppy wet, put on the leading edges to soften the bugs. Take dry towel, wipe off the bugs. Repeat as needed.
Unless you know exactly what solvents are in Honda polish, don't. Dealing with relatively thin aluminum.
There are degreasers specifically for airplanes. Spray or wipe on, then off with clean towels.
Do not use anything with citrus or lemon.
See if any CAP cadet squadrons or 99s are having airplane wash parties in your area for fund raising. Save yourself the trouble.

our airport has banned plane washing....illegal per "EPA" regs. Only in a designated area can one do this environmental polluting activity.

Ok, for a serious answer.

There is a designated wash rack at ONZ with a drain on the ramp and a valve that lets you switch the drain between the storm drain (which runs into the river) and the sanitary drain. You are supposed to switch to the sanitary drain for washing and back to the storm drain when you are done. Solves yea olde problems.

The airport (which was for a long time, a Naval Air Station) was a big source of oil and pollution for the nearby Frenchman's Creek. As a kid, the sludge in the creek was, well, nasty. Real nasty. (Not that it stopped us from hanging around there.)

I think that's the situation at our airport.

Bucket of water, large towels. Get the towels sloppy wet, put on the leading edges to soften the bugs. Take dry towel, wipe off the bugs. Repeat as needed.
Unless you know exactly what solvents are in Honda polish, don't. Dealing with relatively thin aluminum.
There are degreasers specifically for airplanes. Spray or wipe on, then off with clean towels.
Do not use anything with citrus or lemon.
See if any CAP cadet squadrons or 99s are having airplane wash parties in your area for fund raising. Save yourself the trouble.

Yeah, this is a CAP plane actually. I'm the MX officer, so it's my responsibility. I'm not really sure if i can rely on getting cadets involved. But that's not a bad idea.

In the past, we've used some plane de-greasers, but they were not terribly effective. But I guess that makes sense for keeping things very mild. While i'm pretty sure that Honda Polish is quite mild, I probably shouldn't risk it.

Washing airplanes is exactly what cadets are for! Buckets of water. Then when finished, use a polymer wax or Meguiars - again, this is what cadets are for. Since two of you have to be out there, shouldn't be a problem keeping the kids busy.

Remember - Pledge is ok on the windows, no where else.
No paper towels. I use cotton diapers on the windows.
Take all the towels and diapers home and wash VERY well.

This will be an all day project. Are you Martin or Bethesda? Check with the other squadron for recommendations. If it has a wash rack, time for a Transport pilot.

Washing airplanes is exactly what cadets are for! Buckets of water. Then when finished, use a polymer wax or Meguiars - again, this is what cadets are for. Since two of you have to be out there, shouldn't be a problem keeping the kids busy.

Remember - Pledge is ok on the windows, no where else.
No paper towels. I use cotton diapers on the windows.
Take all the towels and diapers home and wash VERY well.

This will be an all day project. Are you Martin or Bethesda? Check with the other squadron for recommendations. If it has a wash rack, time for a Transport pilot.

Carroll Co.

I'm a new MX officer, so still learning here. I'm requesting cadets for this now. It appears that we've been using Dawn before. Spray bottle and towels. This is probably what i will go with as i'm not really sure i can use water on the ramp here.

Pledge Multisurface?

I put Adams H2O Guard and Gloss on the paint and use Griots detail spray to get the bugs off. Either plexus or invisible glass on the windows. Microfiber (good ones, not walmart, autozone, etc) is the only wash media I use.

Carroll Co.

I'm a new MX officer, so still learning here. I'm requesting cadets for this now. It appears that we've been using Dawn before. Spray bottle and towels. This is probably what i will go with as i'm not really sure i can use water on the ramp here.

Pledge Multisurface?
Plain boring Pledge. But it does contain lemon so keep it away from metal, wipe it off immediately. Get a 5 gal bucket from Home depot, bring water. You'd be surprised what you can do as CAP.

Do you have a large lockable metal cabinet or box to keep supplies at the airport? We're in "carports" and have a cabinet that's chained to one of the metal posts, as is the engine heater. We also domlots of Orides, so we keep headsets and cushions in the cabinet. Talk to the MX officers at the other squadrons about what you can and cannot do, as well as recommendations on cleaning supplies. And a small stepstool to clean windows, check oil, a few extra quarts of oil, etc.

Next - on the checklists - require crews to clean leading edges and windows after EVERY flight. If they don't, ding 'em. Work with the squadron commander to enforce the rules. After X dings, they are grounded for some period of time. The log books list who last flew, so you always know who didn't cooperate.

Oh, it's a CAP plane. Where is @MAKG1 ? He's the resident expert on all things CAP.

Also, the key to keeping the leading edges clean is to clean them after EVERY flight. Today's bug victims come off quick. Older ones hang on longer.

@murphey got it right on the soak and wipe process.

Carroll Co.

Pledge Multisurface?
Regardless what you use, you must finish with plain water on the metal. On the windows, spray water, clean with very soft cloth, then Pledge or Plexus cleaner for plastic. The goal is NOT to scratch the plastic.

Really, talk to the other squadrons with airplanes. Find one with a wash station.

The shop that does the annual/100 hour is required to wash the airplane. Talk to the shop about washing it now, then all you really need is keep the leading edges and windows clean.

FYI:

Honda Polish http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/product/18648/honda-pro-honda-spray-cleaner-polish

Product Description
Quickly cleans, polishes and protects. A complete detailer in a can. Cleans and polishes all plastics, chrome, aluminum, and painted surfaces without water.

Leaves a clean, streak-free finish with one application. Contains anti-static ingredients to repel dust and dirt.

Protects finished surfaces from harmful UV rays. Leaves a long lasting high gloss finish.

EDIT: I suppose the problem may be that it polishes too well :)

Last edited:
Really, talk to the other squadrons with airplanes. Find one with a wash station.

The shop that does the annual/100 hour is required to wash the airplane. Talk to the shop about washing it now, then all you really need is keep the leading edges and windows clean.

If you're based at DMW, is Skytech the maintenance shop for CAP? Otherwise find out what shop has the contract for CAP maintenance. Make friends. Bring chocolate chip cookies.

You're the MX officer, you should have all this info from the previous MX officer. COWG squadrons are required by CAP regs to keep detailed records of everything (altho we're trying to migrate entirely to electronic) so that there are no problems with transitioning to the next responsible party. Talk to the previous MX officer. Get the list of appropriate regs and start detailed record keeping. Definitely a startup pain, but will make life easier down the road.

Working on that now. As well as cadet labor

Didn't know that, I will check. Plane is almost due for an oil change. Maybe I can bundle it in

If you're based at DMW, is Skytech the maintenance shop for CAP? Otherwise find out what shop has the contract for CAP maintenance. Make friends. Bring chocolate chip cookies.

No, it is not our MX shop. Frederick, Winchester, or Lancaster are our MX shops depending on what it is.

You're the MX officer, you should have all this info from the previous MX officer. COWG squadrons are required by CAP regs to keep detailed records of everything (altho we're trying to migrate entirely to electronic) so that there are no problems with transitioning to the next responsible party. Talk to the previous MX officer. Get the list of appropriate regs and start detailed record keeping. Definitely a startup pain, but will make life easier down the road.

"Dawn", spray bottles, rags, and pilots was the previous method. I participated in it... Pain. I'm asking around to improve on it :).

Lots of good advice in the thread. I will definitely look into most of it

Also, the key to keeping the leading edges clean is to clean them after EVERY flight. Today's bug victims come off quick. Older ones hang on longer.
Putting a ceramic or acrylic sealant on the leading edges helps a lot. Bugs couldn't stick if they tried.

Evidently, the preferred shop performing our 100h is prohibited by their airport to wash planes(State or County rules?). Same as our base airport... So that's a non-starter.

Evidently, the preferred shop performing our 100h is prohibited by their airport to wash planes(State or County rules?). Same as our base airport... So that's a non-starter.
In other words, the shop is letting local rules override Federal rules? Appendix D 14 CFR Part 43. It could be argued that not washing the airplane and engine does not fully satisfy the inspection, hence every airplane, including CAP, is unairworthy. It's necessary to wash the engine to check for leaks, problems with hoses and wiring, etc.

I'd request written copies of state/local rules that prohibit washing the airplanes for your files. When NHQ comes by for inspections every year or two, you'll want the MX records to be complete and detailed. You are responsible and it's your name on the paperwork.

Yes, I can be really OCD. I'd also contact your Wing MX officer for suggestions.

Last edited:
Yes, I can be really OCD. I'd also contact your Wing MX officer for suggestions.

That's who I am getting this information from.. and you are correct on CFR... i'm inquiring..

I clean my motorcycle with Meguiar's Quick Detailer spray. I use a lot of paper towels to carefully remove the grime without grinding it into the surface.

Last edited:
I guess I'm becoming a guru on this. The bonanza is in a hangar and there is no water. So...

Get some empty spray bottles from a home store. This will be the primary mud and grime remover. Add in lots of microfiber rags.

Here is the shopping list- if painted:
- spray bottles
- gallon milk jug to carry water
- buy microfiber rags every time you are at the store
- simple green for grease
- lemon pledge if you can find it
- McGuires final inspection if you can find it
- make the decision on polish: regex if you are a nut job about shine.

Now if you have a polished bird- well, things get more interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.PNG
    IMG_1678.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Oh- you MUST address cleaning the aircraft after every flight. Period.

The downside of no water.

I guess I'm becoming a guru on this. The bonanza is in a hangar and there is no water. So...

Get some empty spray bottles from a home store. This will be the primary mud and grime remover. Add in lots of microfiber rags.

Here is the shopping list- if painted:
- spray bottles
- gallon milk jug to carry water
- buy microfiber rags every time you are at the store
- simple green for grease
- lemon pledge if you can find it
- McGuires final inspection if you can find it
- make the decision on polish: regex if you are a nut job about shine.

Now if you have a polished bird- well, things get more interesting.
Extreme Simple Green. The regular over the counter is hostile to airplane aluminum.
Couple or 3 gallon jugs of water.

That's who I am getting this information from.. and you are correct on CFR... i'm inquiring..
Then go to the Region MX officer.

Frankly, not washing an airplane in the MD area makes no sense. I live in home of EcoLand, and there's no issue. We are asked to use environmentally friendly materials, but there's no restrictions.

FDK has a wash rack. You get the key for the spigot from the airport manager, above the restaurant. I think it's $20 per wash.

NuPowerII is a great drywash. Works as good or better than water. Would have never believed it but was given a a sample and tried it. Now I use it on my plane and motorcycles

Back