In ear headset question

Can you hear your transmissions?
I would hit PPT and hear nothing. I am used to that deadening the sound a bit but I can hear my transmission. Today it was dead air.

Absolutely, I can. Loud and clear.

If you haven't settled on a set by Gaston's time. You're more than welcome to try mine in your rig, with a fresh set of plugs of course.

I won't have anything by gastons. it is like item # 20 in the budget right now.

But I couldn't hear myself at all when I would transmit. It was weird.
The technical term for that is "Sidetone." And I'd guess this was due to a combination of headset/intercom/radio rather than the headset itself. What radio and intercom are you using?

In my homemade headset experimentation, I have been in situations where I had to change the sidetone volume due to some quirk of the ear buds.

Ron Wanttaja

When I get my halos in right they are excellent at noise reduction and volume. I usually don't have trouble but did on the first couple tries.
Not much experience ...but It does seem that less expensive sets have more radio issues from what I've used so far. Nothing unusable yet, but noticeable "oddities".
I've tried dc, Bose x, faro, and a couple others. None felt good on the top of my head, and/or ears. Bought a cheap set of Kore's and love the fit and comfort. Decent at pnr and comm, but anr is quieter I'd say.
Still love halos best though.

You're Welcome @SixPapaCharlie

I was surprised by the sidetone issue. I've never heard it (or I guess not heard it :)) with the audio panels I fly behind (2 GMA340's and 1 KMA24). Comm 1 in all three is GNS430.

Next time we fly *hint* I'll try the Halos in your other jack positions.

Also, on the CA's, that rubber "adjuster" is optional (and sold separately if you can believe that!). I use it so the mic holds position better and I agree that if it's too tight the wire feels like it's pulling back on the front of my ears.

Both are more comfortable for me than the various clamps I own. [I usually where sun glasses and a cap]

Last edited:
You're Welcome @SixPapaCharlie

I was surprised by the sidetone issue. I've never heard it (or I guess not heard it :)) with the audio panels I fly behind (2 GMA340's and 1 KMA24). Comm 1 in all three is GNS430.

Next time we fly *hint* I'll try the Halos in your other jack positions.

Also, on the CA's, that rubber "adjuster" is optional (and sold separately if you can believe that!). I use it so the mic holds position better and I agree that if it's too tight the wire feels like it's pulling back on the front of my ears.

Both are more comfortable for me than the various clamps I own. [I usually where sun glasses and a cap]

I also have unusually large and also mismatched ears. I have 2 completely different ears. Always causes issues w/ sunglasses.I have to bend them or they sit sideways. That could very well be some of the issue w/ the fit.

My ears are different too. One is a Left and the other is a Right.

Silly this morning is Ravioli.

I had sidetone issues with my Halos on first use. After that, I've had no issues. I think it may have been a connection issue as I after I unplugged and replugged them, the issue went away. I continue to switch back and forth between the Halo and Zulu2. The Z2 is better at overall noise reduction, but the Halo sure is more comfortable. I've worn earplugs so much over the years (20+ year Field Artilleryman) and flying extremely noisy Nordo planes and sleeping in noise environments (see Army comment above) that the foam plugs have never bothered me. They definitely take longer to put on, but I sure like the behind the head headband option. I can easily take off my hat and/or sunglasses when needed, unlike classic style headsets.

I've got Halos (two pairs) and I can hear myself (sidetone) just fine. Have never had any trouble in the 5+ years I've been using them.

Back