Cross Country from New York to Texas

but Back in the day, I remember spending many a night sleeping on a couch in the FBO.

Here's a picture of the couch I didn't sleep on during last month's 550 NM cross country.
couch.JPG

I've got a tip for you... be careful what you fly over. Sometimes long diversions around weather put you in some serious wilderness, the kind you wouldn't survive an engine out over. Keep it in mind while planning routes.

Thanks for all of the help guys. It's much appreciated. I'm definitely going to play it safe with fuel reserves. I plan on stopping every 3-3.5 hours for fuel. Plus I'm sure I'll want to stretch and get the blood pumping by then.

I also plan on bringing a couple extra quarts of oil with me and 1 or 2 spark plugs just in case.

Good idea with stopping at places with a decent town and a fair amount of hotels/places to stay. And having extra cash. I didn't think of that. I'm assuming it's generally less expensive to overnight at smaller airports compared to class D/C airports?

All in all, if weather won't allow me to get to my destination in time. I'll fly there commercially and pick the plane up when able. I most certainly won't push my limits, or the plane's limits.

I'm assuming it's generally less expensive to overnight at smaller airports compared to class D/C airports?
Generally, but not always. There are plenty of small airports where you can just tie down for free for as long as you need. But there are also bigger airports that have FBOs where some or all of the fees are waived if you buy a few gallons of gas from them. Gas prices at small airports can also vary wildly. I plan based on where I want to be rather than how much it's going to cost, with the exception of Class B airports where both gas and fees are exorbitant. But at anything smaller, maybe there's a $25 tie-down fee at one airport or maybe gas costs $25 more at the other airport.

One of the many handy applications of Foreflight and related software is it'll find you inexpensive gas. If you have a Stratus of Stratux antenna thingie it'll do it while you're airborne.

One of the many handy applications of Foreflight and related software is it'll find you inexpensive gas. If you have a Stratus of Stratux antenna thingie it'll do it while you're airborne.

I think you need to download that information prior to taking off. If you put in a route and hit "pack" it will download current FBO info and fuel prices so that you can see them while flying if you need to make an unanticipated fuel stop.

All in all, if weather won't allow me to get to my destination in time. I'll fly there commercially and pick the plane up when able. I most certainly won't push my limits, or the plane's limits.

May want to plan your overnight stops close to airports served by Southwest Airlines then. They are your best bet for flexible, last minute travel.

Do you know your final destination in SA? We can help vector you to best local airport.

I did a similar trip from NE PA to Port Arthur TX. Nashville (BNA) was a good fuel stop as it was about 1/2 way.

Arrive at Podunk Muni after hours? Total ghost town, no local taxi, nothing within walking distance? All that means is that there is no one there to tell you you can't pop up a tent and sleep beside the airplane.

Generally, but not always. There are plenty of small airports where you can just tie down for free for as long as you need. But there are also bigger airports that have FBOs where some or all of the fees are waived if you buy a few gallons of gas from them. Gas prices at small airports can also vary wildly. I plan based on where I want to be rather than how much it's going to cost, with the exception of Class B airports where both gas and fees are exorbitant. But at anything smaller, maybe there's a $25 tie-down fee at one airport or maybe gas costs $25 more at the other airport.

Exactly. Focus on where you want to be then see if there all some less pricey options. I try to land at places with lots of services and options. If the fuel is 7+, it better be a Class B where I'm dropping someone off but what's the value of a courtesy car near an attractive city?

To take full advantage of a big airport FBO, never hesitate to ask for help. They can always get you a hotel room at a good price. Prices and charges are sometimes discounted if you're a good guy (smile). Some can move heaven and earth for you, others suck. Then there's Wilson Air at KCLT.

On the other hand, I've been burned more than once chasing the lowest fuel price whether it's empty tanks or a broken SS unit and the desk closed early. Being small and remote is a tough biz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I see I'm going to get stranded I usually try and find someplace that looks interesting to set down. I've been mostly successful.

If you have weight and space a spare tire is nice, if not then at least spare tubes for your tires.

If you have weight and space a spare tire is nice, if not then at least spare tubes for your tires.
Sort of an interesting point. Nobody wants to be stranded. In over 700 hours with the 'kota I have not had a tire failure. I do have tires replaced before seeing cords which is a total of 3 tires over that time. I run Flighthawks so nothing special. OTOH flyingcheesehead has seen several tire failures when he was flying club planes. Of course I have no knowledge of the club's practices with respect to tires.

I don't really know if I've been lucky (had my share of mildly side loaded landings - hey it gets windy where I fly) or Kent has been unlucky. FOD is FOD and ya never know when ya might pick up damage. I will say many shops keep 172/PA28 tires/tubes around and repair is usually not a problem. Most folks help out transients with a mechanical. We've BTDT.

Nah, not for me. I don't have the equipment on board to jack up the airplane, nor the knowledge and skills to remove and replace a tire myself; if I need to replace a tire I'm at the mercy of the local FBO. I'm okay with that (though I'm also okay with replacing tires on the early side of "need to" just in case).

I mentioned it in passing in a previous post, but I haven't seen much on it otherwise, so one other thing I highly recommend---VFR flight following. Maybe it's a given for you---and good on you if so---but in my opinion it's absolutely something you want for a long XC like this. (For me, it's something I want for any trip outside my local airport coverage.) ATC is there to help you, and it's absolutely worth it to let them. And on the off chance something goes sideways---someone else knows where you are and where you are supposed to be.

Nah, not for me. I don't have the equipment on board to jack up the airplane, nor the knowledge and skills to remove and replace a tire myself; if I need to replace a tire I'm at the mercy of the local FBO. I'm okay with that (though I'm also okay with replacing tires on the early side of "need to" just in case).
I struggle with which way to vote on this one. Flying the Arrow, I had a nosewheel tire tube go flat after landing at my home airport. We recently got a mechanic on the field so we have 24-hour labor available but they are only very slowly building up parts inventory, so I had to pick up a new tube on a (road) trip out of town the following week. A Cirrus flew up here for supper recently and had the same thing happen, but that guy paid to have a new tube flown up that evening. Having spare parts can help you out even if you lack the expertise or the tools to install them. It might well be that you land at a smaller airport and can find a good mechanic right away but have to wait several days for parts.

That being said, how often do you really get a flat tire on an airplane? It's a low enough risk that it's probably one you can safely accept for this kind of trip. I think I would go without a spare.

I've never carried a spare tire in 16 years and 700ish hours. Got one flat, once. Get low tires seasonally.

I got one on my trip to OSH this year. Lucky to get an A&P on the field with the tube available.

Had a friend get a flat tire at a remote location. Turned out to be the Schrader valve not the tire. So I added a valve and a wrench to my onboard tool kit.

Had a pinched tube give way landing at Cape Girardeau one evening a couple of years ago. Plane sat on a taxiway for 2 hours until we rounded up some locals to help us hoist onto a dollie & tow us up to the FBO. Paid a call out fee the next (Sun) morning for the A&P to come out & replace it. Fortunately he had a tube on site and we were on our way @$200 lighter IIRC.

That was once in 16 years of flying and in the grand scheme of things all part of the adventure.

That being said, how often do you really get a flat tire on an airplane?
Once in about 5 years for me. The one in the picture is from 2016. But I imagine the frequency of flats depends on how much you fly. Maybe once in a certain number of landings?

20160221-klru-eaa555-03x.jpg

Also, try to plan overnight stops at airports big enough to have an FBO of some sort. I stopped overnight recently in Santa Rosa, NM on a trip from Denver to Tucson. It turns out that Santa Rosa is very small; they have a few motels, but no Uber or Lyft --- not surprising --- but also no taxi company at all; I didn't plan for that. No way to get a ride. As it turned out, the Best Western was willing to pick me up, so that worked out, but it was about the 5th place I called and the first one that would. A couple places didn't even know they had an airport in town. If none of the hotels could have picked me up, I'd have been walking from the airport, or taking off again and trying a different stop after all.

You know, I would've walked right away. The strip in Santa Rosa extends very far east from town, all the way to the intersection with the highway 84. There's a bunch of hotels within a 30 minute walk from the airport.

In general I got into habit of scouting all the airports along the route and noting how far away from town they are. The longest I walked was Eureka/Milliken in Kansas. That was a real hike. The other one I remember was Dunkirk, NY. They had taxi in town, but it took longer to wait for it than to walk.

Never had a flat tire in 42+ years of flying until last year on a C172, actually a blow out while decelerating and turning off the runway. No, I wasn't going too fast either. Probably someone flat spotted the tire prior and it finally blew. That's my story anyway. :)

There are a number of threads here about emergency bags but a few items that are rarely mentioned.
A fleece or wool blanket. If cold and you're stuck sleeping in small FBO, that blanket is a luxury, It's also handy when you need to crawl under the airplane to check on something including the tires.
If you take any approved meds, bring them in the original containers. If you need to get a refill on the road, it's much easier for the local RX to call back home.
$5-10 in quarters. Not every place uses credit cards in the candy machine.
Spare batteries for everything that uses them.
Even a spare landing light if you've got one handy. BTDT.......The best reason to go LED...

...and water, especially out west. Don't fly at night since it's all unfamiliar territory. Save that for later. Fly early, arrive early with plenty of fuel.

Stupidly, I almost ran out of fuel on my first long cross country in my Maule. Durham NC to Houston. Arrived late in the day at a poorly planned fuel stop at Talladega Muni. No fuel available, placed locked up tight. Considered acquiring some auto fuel and limping on to closest alternate. Instead I took off with little more than fumes for an airport about 10 miles away. It's really difficult to fly at best glide speed and low throttle for 10 miles, takes forever and chewing on you own b-lls the whole time is profoundly unpleasant. Got there and while I forget exactly what the line man said after putting 4 more gallons in than placarded on my tanks, I'll never forget the feeling.

Avoid the terrain
Don't run out of fuel
And never pickup a package by its string

Arrive at Podunk Muni after hours? Total ghost town, no local taxi, nothing within walking distance? All that means is that there is no one there to tell you you can't pop up a tent and sleep beside the airplane.

Just don't choose an airport next to the freeway, or where there's a nice grass area where the manager said you could put your tent where the sprinklers come on at 2AM, gear didn't get wet, but the sprinklers hitting the tent were way louder than the freeway.

Also, never be afraid to change the plan on the fly. I had just bought a plane and was flying it back from central Texas to So. California. First fuel stop was planned to be Dona Ana County Airport in Southern New Mexico due to a good fuel price and I wanted to put New Mexico in my logbook. Got the weather about 50 miles out and it was a gusty crosswind there. I called ATC and told them I would be landing at El Paso on the runway aligned with the wind. Taxied in, paid way too much for fuel and got my $100 Atlantic cookie and was on my way. Of course, then I spent the next 3 hours over NM/AZ getting beat up by convective weather due to the fact that I couldn't bring my Oxygen tank on the airliner to pick up the plane so I was stuck playing dodge the weather under the layer instead of on-top where it would have been smoother.

I was born in Jamestown , spent many years there and have flown in that area in both winter but mainly in summer. ( we had a ski home in ellicottville which we enjoyed) with one hundred hours I would not even attempt the trip in winter knowing how the weather changes quickly not only in buffalo but along your route in winter. Those who says you'll be just fine just haven't flown that area much. Don't forget Ernest Gann who described how he trained in the buffalo area ( with an instrument ticket) if u go I hope you go alone. It's asking for trouble. My sister was a stew for American years ago. After three winters she quit as she was based in buffalo and they had several close calls, all in winter. Good luck. ( February. Is not a good month " to pitch a tent under the wing" as was suggested.

Last edited:
Just don't choose an airport next to the freeway, or where there's a nice grass area where the manager said you could put your tent where the sprinklers come on at 2AM, gear didn't get wet, but the sprinklers hitting the tent were way louder than the freeway.

Ha!

...and don't pitch your tent on the only manicured spot on an otherwise overgrown airport, "I don't know if I'd camp where the crop duster normally parks".

?.. with one hundred hours I would not even attempt the trip in winter knowing how the weather changes quickly not only in buffalo but along your route in winter. Those who says you'll be just fine just haven't flown that area much. Don't forget Ernest Gann who described how he trained in the buffalo area ( with an instrument ticket) if u go I hope you go alone. It's asking for trouble. My sister was a stew for American years ago. After three winters she quit as she was based in buffalo and they had several close calls, all in winter. ...
Yes and no. Flying one out of and one way back to one of the snow capitals of the world is much different they being based there or trying to train there. One leg out puts in territory where winter flying can reasonably be done. And you can sit at home and wait for the window to appear.

Flying to get somewhere can be fun in a light plane because of the challenge involved and the satisfaction of meeting that challenge safely. In summer you'd be learning to dodge T-storms.

Just thought of this thread as I sit in a hotel in Tupelo, MS.

We were supposed to be on our way to New Orleans Mon afternoon, planning to stay with family in KY on the way. T-storms came up that afternoon and we delayed, planning to go straight on through the next morning. Unfortunately, the clear skies that we expected that morning didn't come until afternoon so we ended up in KY last night with plans to make it to New Orleans today. Just a day late at that point really.

So this morning, with the various family entanglements and drive to the airport we didn't make it out until almost 10am. I thought we might just beat the afternoon weather but after starting out with clear skies almost everywhere I encountered thick scattered to broken clouds at around 3000' about 40nm from my planned fuel stop at KTUP. I looked over the weather again on the ground and while it looked like I could yet make it if I hurried I'd be ducking under 3000' cloud decks with isolated-scattered showers and t-storms building along the way and a decent chance of storms at our destination.

Well, I picked this fuel stop because there was a class D field and a decent sized town. Sure enough I was able to get a courtesy car for lunch then book a room and rent a car for the rest of the day. Had lunch at the Neon Pig- a neat butcher shop/restaurant type place with a burger supposedly voted best in the US. It was a great burger. There are some interesting things to do here and I think we'll make the 2 hour flight to New Orleans early tomorrow but if not this isn't a bad place to be.

So 2 days late now but we're still going places and seeing things. I'm enjoying it so far. This is how these things go and we had time for this sort of thing to happen planned into the trip.

Very cool trip idea. I actually plan on flying from Fort Worth to New York after my Mooneys overhaul.

Anyways, here are some airports you could stop at:
  • T67 - my home airport. They have restaurant on field open 7-2pm everyday but Monday.
  • KSEP - has golf carts to a local BBQ place
  • KFSM - restaurant on field (I haven't personally been here though)
  • KFYV - courtesy car with nice place to eat nearby

I did the same XC last year but in reverse direction. Was a non-event, despite the convective summer weather. Had to change our plans only once for a cold front passage.

OP, did you make it down to SAT yet? Pictures? Stories?

Back