Aggressive Drivers

As a detective, I drove a Ford Edge that you could not discern from any other Ford Edge...that is, until I turned on the lights hidden in the headlights/grill/tail lights and siren...I saved it for the really bad driving behaviors that I'd see once or twice a year. Always good fun...
Funny thing is, they would always go to court, not to argue that their driving wasn't horrible, but instead to ask if "I could do that" (write them a ticket as a detective in an unmarked car). I was always very lenient in what I would write them, and most times after hearing how bad their driving was the judge would actually amend their ticket to something much worse than I wrote them, because he felt the driver was wasting his time. Good stuff.

As a detective, I drove a Ford Edge that you could not discern from any other Ford Edge...that is, until I turned on the lights hidden in the headlights/grill/tail lights and siren...I saved it for the really bad driving behaviors that I'd see once or twice a year. Always good fun...
Funny thing is, they would always go to court, not to argue that their driving wasn't horrible, but instead to ask if "I could do that" (write them a ticket as a detective in an unmarked car). I was always very lenient in what I would write them, and most times after hearing how bad their driving was the judge would actually amend their ticket to something much worse than I wrote them, because he felt the driver was wasting his time. Good stuff.
We've got a few of those around here too. Some are driving grey/black Taurus' or Charger's. I've seen a few places around town that will have a white Ford Edge along side of the road as a speed trap. They're hard to distinguish but the government license plate always gives it away.

Aggressive driving takes many forms. One I've noticed more since moving to Atlanta...

I don't tailgate, because I have a new car and would like to avoid the sandblasted effect. A car will be in front of me, and begin to slow down. I'll move to pass. Car will speed up. They're playing a game of trying to keep me behind them. I suppose this works for them in most situations and can be extremely frustrating.

Fortunately, I have the ability to pass them quickly, and I will if it's clear. But my point is, there are drivers on the road who are deliberately provoking the sort of reactions we're talking about.

... the government license plate always gives it away.

Mine actually had a suppressed plate: looked just like any other plate, but if another police officer ran my plate (or a citizen through the Secretary of State) it came back to "nothing". I'm not sure why my department gave detectives suppressed plates, but I wasn't going to complain.

Aggressive driving takes many forms. One I've noticed more since moving to Atlanta...

I don't tailgate, because I have a new car and would like to avoid the sandblasted effect. A car will be in front of me, and begin to slow down. I'll move to pass. Car will speed up. They're playing a game of trying to keep me behind them. I suppose this works for them in most situations and can be extremely frustrating.

Fortunately, I have the ability to pass them quickly, and I will if it's clear. But my point is, there are drivers on the road who are deliberately provoking the sort of reactions we're talking about.
I see this in the remote areas of Michigan. It may even be unintentional: some drivers have a "winning the race" mentality.

I don't know if this is a general rule or not, but aggressive driving is pretty rare in my part of the county: the boonies of Southern Appalachia. Atlanta and Knoxville are not bad, either.

Driving south, we get shocked back into reality some time around West Palm Beach. It's often, but not always, little souped-up Japanese cars.

I see this in the remote areas of Michigan. It may even be unintentional: some drivers have a "winning the race" mentality.

Yeah.. I've noticed that on highways. If you pass slowly, they'll slowly speed up. They probably don't know they're doing it. I've learned to back off and then pass more quickly. :)

The behavior I'm talking about is deliberate. There's nothing in front of them for several car lengths. There's more to this behavior that has been true 100% of the time, but it'd take me into Spin Zone territory.

I can't wait to get the heck out of Atlanta.

Same here, it's about the cornering, especially on the motorcycle. Even on back roads I ride along the straights at a lazy 65 or so, but light it up in the corners. Any goober can go fast on a straight, takes no skill.

who you calling a goob? ;):D

I can tell you with 100% certainty how slow drivers drive. Yesterday, during rush hour, there was a "fella" keeping it around five under. He had a line of more than ten cars piled up behind him, I counted.

I said out loud, and of course it's true, that when we got to a place where we could pass him, he'd find the gas pedal.

Yep, of course, when the road went straight and passing was allowed, the person speeds up to five over, so now the person behind would have to drive crazy fast to pass. Of course, most people just won't pass anybody, even if they were going fifteen under, which means now if you're even one car back, you have to pass TWO cars, at least one of which just started accelerating. Of course, once the passing lane is over, back to five under the speed limit.

I have a slow truck, so passing is hard. If I have to pass two people, it's not going to happen.

I am not a speeder; I"m a five over kind of a guy, where conditions obviously allow. In my neighborhood, I go exactly the speed limit, at best, usually slower. In Florida, it would seem most are ten over drivers. I also don't care for the aggressive drivers either, it's dangerous; I try to see them coming and do my best to not be in their path.

I just try to stay out of everybody's way, and I don't relish in keeping somebody behind me who is trying to go faster. I like Washington's law about having to pull over if you get more than five cars stacked up behind you. I wish we had that here.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.427
RCW 46.61.427
Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.

On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

This afternoon I was heading into downtown on I24W. Riding in the right center lane doing abt 70, I see a guy in a new Big Money Wasted 320i in my rear view mirror hauling tail, weaving in between the other drivers. I see him approaching me from the right rear and he merged into my lane nearly taking my fender with him. He sped up and then cut across 2 lanes of traffic infront of two semi's and got right up on the tail of a guy in the far left lane and from my view point it didn't look like he was much more than two feet off the bumper of the guy infront of him. A quick brake check and he would've been eating fiberglass. I merged onto 27 at the split which has a construction zone and traffic was at a standstill. The guy he was tailgating merged into the center lane and just as he did, the BMW slammed on his brakes and had to come to a halt due to a wall of traffic infront of him.

Game over! :D

I've been seeing more and more of this lately. People seem to be getting more agressive and daring on the roads than I ever remember. I certainly feel safer in the air, than behind the wheel amongst these idiots on the road.
Normal day in the DC area.

I don't know if this is a general rule or not, but aggressive driving is pretty rare in my part of the county: the boonies of Southern Appalachia. Atlanta and Knoxville are not bad, either.

Driving south, we get shocked back into reality some time around West Palm Beach. It's often, but not always, little souped-up Japanese cars.

C'mon Eddie! I know you've been on I285 in ATL, it's like Talladega out there. Was when I lived in Blue Ridge and commode to the ATL airport. Didn't ease up until I got to about Canton, then it thinned out and was a lot more relaxing drive.

Out here, we have aggressive drivers that take all forms. It's not just European cars, but Japanese, Korean, American... all.

Probably what's worse is the aggressive, yet stupid drivers. Or in my area, many folks who drive a Prius. I had a Altima Hybrid once... couldn't wait to get out of it, and that angst probably made me a bit more aggressive than I should have been. Funny thing is that my former Jetta TDI (and now BMW 328d) gets FAR better mileage (city and highway) than that Altima ever did, and I'm not hypermiling the BMW like I did the Altima.

I just wish the pedestrians would put away the cell phones when walking in parking lots.

Around here, some of the elected folks have effectively been training pedestrians *not* to look and to ignore walk lights. It's gotten to be a real problem in some areas because the car is seen the same way some folks see folks that earn a high income.

The old people that drive 20 under sitting in the left lane are worse.

Be careful saying that around here - there are some folks that believe that you must drive 5 under all the time, regardless of circumstances... ;)

Around here, we have on jurisdiction that lowered speed limits at the same time they were installing lots of speed and traffic cameras. Another jurisdiction was caught short-timing the yellow light (to 25% below the state requirement) at intersections where they installed red light cameras.

Mine actually had a suppressed plate: looked just like any other plate, but if another police officer ran my plate (or a citizen through the Secretary of State) it came back to "nothing". I'm not sure why my department gave detectives suppressed plates, but I wasn't going to complain.

Lots of agencies qualify for suppressed plates - even certain Federal regulatory agencies have them. To the knowledgeable observer, the unmarked car is not as invisible as most LE types thing - it may fool some citizens, but certainly not all.

...To the knowledgeable observer, the unmarked car is not as invisible as most LE types thing - it may fool some citizens, but certainly not all.
There were times, off duty, where I would walk into a restaurant and immediately id someone as LE, even though we'd never met before. If that's what you mean, then yes...
But you'd never had known my car was department issued. There were no antennas, no visible lights (when they weren't on) etc. In fact, I'd get stopped about once a year because a bored patrolman would run my plate, get nothing back, and think it was a bad plate.

C'mon Eddie! I know you've been on I285 in ATL, it's like Talladega out there. Was when I lived in Blue Ridge and commode to the ATL airport. Didn't ease up until I got to about Canton, then it thinned out and was a lot more relaxing drive.
TMI. I think I can speak for most of us and say that we really don't need to know when things thin out for you on the commode.

There were times, off duty, where I would walk into a restaurant and immediately id someone as LE, even though we'd never met before. If that's what you mean, then yes...
But you'd never had known my car was department issued. There were no antennas, no visible lights (when they weren't on) etc. In fact, I'd get stopped about once a year because a bored patrolman would run my plate, get nothing back, and think it was a bad plate.
You would be surprised the little things that give it away. Again, a lot of people won't know, but some will. Even the old "disguised" antennas that replaced the AM/FM car antenna were recognizable to those that knew what they were looking for.

The only ones that ever came close to getting away with it were those who bought the cars off the local dealers lot as consumer vehicles and added no LEO equipment. Yours may be that way, so YMMV.

We've all been that guy once or twice. You don't know what's happening in his life that made him be in such a hurry. I usually just let them by. Life's too short for me to be upset about things that don't matter and that I can't control.

Nope, we haven't all been that guy. And while your thoughts may help to mollify you, I suspect that the truth of the matter is that most of these people drive that way for sport. Whatever their reason, all of them are placing themselves and others at significantly increased risk.

The flip slide are the drivers who travel under the speed limit, or barely pass in the passing lane(s). Those drivers effectively block the normal flow of traffic and create a similar hazard.

I once owned a German sports car, but it's been my observation over the years that the wealthy tend to drive Chevys and Fords more than BMWs and Mercedes. And often, the latter are driven by folks who can least afford to be driving them. That doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but someone with nothing to prove has no reason to show off.

JKG

You would be surprised the little things that give it away. Again, a lot of people won't know, but some will. Even the old "disguised" antennas that replaced the AM/FM car antenna were recognizable to those that knew what they were looking for.

Always laughed at the unmarkeds that had those small hub caps that covered the hub.

Springfield sub's sergeant has a plane-Jane red Jeep; until he lights it up.

I once owned a German sports car, but it's been my observation over the years that the wealthy tend to drive Chevys and Fords more than BMWs and Mercedes. And often, the latter are driven by folks who can least afford to be driving them. That doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but someone with nothing to prove has no reason to show off.

I agree. Only reason I'm in a BMW is that VW wanted their diesel back pretty badly. I bought used for less than the price of a new Honda Civic (even without the money that VW gave me.) But I'm that BMW driver on the road that's pretty chill and just cruises along with the speed of traffic. I drive over 45K miles a year, so I've learned that being aggressive just ****es people off, but you don't get very far forward for all that effort.

lol I asked my dentist recently if the Audi outside was hers. No she says, the old Explorer is mine. Her employees all had nicer vehicles judging by what was in the parking lot. Her hubby an attorney so certainly price isn't much of an object.

Last edited:
Man, I totally agree with you. That was some of the sentiment of my first post, is that we give a drivers license to any knuckle head in this country. It is treated here as a God given right when it should be an earned privilege.
Special endorsements and minimum experience levels should be needed to drive on an interstate and in inclement weather ( like snow.)

I was riding with a friend heading west out of Sacramento CA to San fran. Traffic was cruising around 90 mph. We were doing around 75 mph. I kept telling him to speed up but no he would not. He got pulled over for impeding traffic. The cop was p#ssed because he would not go with the flow of traffic. I kept telling him to speed up.

But what I like is talking to some of these people who drive faster then the flow or over the posted limit. Ask them if they ever brake the law. Everyone will say no. I then tell them the speed limit is a law, you pick and choose the laws you brake.

Tony
I'd have my attorney all over that cop like stink on schitt.

I was riding with a friend heading west out of Sacramento CA to San fran. Traffic was cruising around 90 mph. We were doing around 75 mph. I kept telling him to speed up but no he would not. He got pulled over for impeding traffic. The cop was p#ssed because he would not go with the flow of traffic. I kept telling him to speed up.

But what I like is talking to some of these people who drive faster then the flow or over the posted limit. Ask them if they ever brake the law. Everyone will say no. I then tell them the speed limit is a law, you pick and choose the laws you brake.

Tony
Maybe his speedometer was broken. I've driven from Sacramento to San Francisco a number of times. There's no way the general traffic was cruising at 90 mph. 75 I could believe.

You can't discuss this here... every time a driving thread comes up, it becomes obvious that the VAST majority here, can't even be bothered to drive the speed limit.

Haha yeah, true. I don't have a problem with fast drivers, but I do have a problem with idiot drivers. We have our share of those here. No, more than our share.

Maybe his speedometer was broken. I've driven from Sacramento to San Francisco a number of times. There's no way the general traffic was cruising at 90 mph. 75 I could believe.

I think that is the case too. I drive that route nearly every day and 80 is about right. But NO cop will pull someone over for going 60. Trailers are limited at 55. Big rigs usually cruise in the 60-65 range.

Also much MUCH better maintained roads. If you put the roads from Oklahoma in Germany you'd kill half of Germany in the first month.

Outstanding observation, young man. Experience makes better drivers, not tough tests.

Experience makes better drivers, not tough tests.
Uhhh, ok. So old people should be the best drivers?

Tough test weed out bad drivers, or force them to improve. Either way it raises the standard. I think after a certain age there should be something similar to a BFR.

Tough test weed out bad drivers, or force them to improve. Either way it raises the standard. I think after a certain age there should be something similar to a BFR.

It's all relative. I get your point. It's valid.

... and most times after hearing how bad their driving was the judge would actually amend their ticket to something much worse than I wrote them, because he felt the driver was wasting his time. Good stuff.
Awesome, judges acting like prosecutors. Love the Constitution!

Awesome, judges acting like prosecutors. Love the Constitution!
Naw. A). Civil infractions aren't criminal. B). Don't abuse your lucky break. C) Judges aren't there for free legal advice.

Driving to the airport (ONZ) over on Grosse Ile (French for Big M.Fing Island because it is the biggest island in the Detroit (French for something about a river) river) - as usual a long line of left turners to turn towards the bridge. Mr. Zoom comes up the right lane and squeezes in ahead of me. Ok, No big deal. Then, as Mr. Zoom gets close to the light, it changes and the guy in front of him stops for the red (Imagine that). Mr. Zoom lays on the horn to express his feelings. Light changes, traffic moves, we make the turn. Mr. Zoom then takes to the left turn lane to pass a couple cars. Then, up ahead, the draw bridge opens and we all come to a stop and get to enjoy the nice breeze blowing off the river for several minutes.

I thought it was funny.

Driving to the airport (ONZ) over on Grosse Ile (French for Big M.Fing Island because it is the biggest island in the Detroit (French for something about a river) river) - as usual a long line of left turners to turn towards the bridge. Mr. Zoom comes up the right lane and squeezes in ahead of me. Ok, No big deal. Then, as Mr. Zoom gets close to the light, it changes and the guy in front of him stops for the red (Imagine that). Mr. Zoom lays on the horn to express his feelings. Light changes, traffic moves, we make the turn. Mr. Zoom then takes to the left turn lane to pass a couple cars. Then, up ahead, the draw bridge opens and we all come to a stop and get to enjoy the nice breeze blowing off the river for several minutes.

I thought it was funny.

He definitely had diarrhea.

Naw. A). Civil infractions aren't criminal. B). Don't abuse your lucky break. C) Judges aren't there for free legal advice.
How is having a charge "upgraded" by a judge based on a cop's testimony and his own personal feelings a "lucky break", and what advice are you talking about?

How is having a charge "upgraded" by a judge based on a cop's testimony and his own personal feelings a "lucky break", and what advice are you talking about?
What in the world are you talking about??? Perhaps you missed where I said they didn't dispute that they committed the offense described? They went to court to ask the judge questions, not to provide evidence or testimony.
And you say this is a violation of the constitution, "judges acting like prosecutors " in a civil infraction case? Watch out, your knee may jerk again!!! Lol

Last edited:

Just make everyone retake the driving test (not the sorry excuse of a written test I've taken in five states) at age 40, 60, 80, 100, it would help refresh people's minds of how they should drive . . . There's no need to target the elderly, people of all ages drive poorly.

Just make everyone retake the driving test (not the sorry excuse of a written test I've taken in five states) at age 40, 60, 80, 100, it would help refresh people's minds of how they should drive . . . There's no need to target the elderly, people of all ages drive poorly.
In CA, you do have to do that at 80.

Back