Blinking green signal lamp

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
with so much to learn, sometimes I ignore nagging feelings that I don't get it, and just memorize some things. Like signal lamps. I got it wrong I think on the written, a blinding green. I thought it meant "cleared to land" but that is solid green. Still the answer choices as I recall weren't right either. On the exam the other viable choice was "come in for landing and taxi to ramp" (roughly translated)

So I went through signal lamps, and blinking green makes no sense to me.

When flashed at a plane in the air, it means "return for landing, to be followed by a solid green when cleared to land" if to a plane on the ground it means "cleared for taxi" but in Norwegian they have it as "depending on whether after landing or before takeoff, taxi to park, or wait position")

So...the "return for landing", when and how would that ever be used? For one thing, planes most often takeoff and do left turn out, or right, but you no longer would be in a position to see a flashing green light from behind you at the tower? Also, why exactly would they be instructing you to return for landing? Presumably you have lost your receiver. But it seems phrased as an instruction, which seems to be the pilots responsibility.

I don't get it.

Probably a bit of a leftover from military patterns where they'd blink green at you at the "initial" for an overhead break. Nowadays they'd be very careful showing you anything green at all, thinking you'd probably think anything green was a "cleared to land". But they could blink green at you as you came inbound for an initial and a break, and shine a steady green if you were cleared to land as you turned back inbound. If not you'd likely get a flashing green again and do another circuit.

If I see a flashing green signal then I assume the light is malfunctioning and treat the intersection as a four-way stop. Did I get it right?

Means you're flying too low in the Boston area. I have never seen flashing green traffic lights anywhere else. I never understood what it meant. "Go like hell" was my best guess.

Means you're flying too low in the Boston area. I have never seen flashing green traffic lights anywhere else. I never understood what it meant. "Go like hell" was my best guess.
See them in British Columbia at crosswalks too

Seriously (if possible) how was this intended to work? It's a part of the exam, and I just can't think of a situation where it would be useful, or possible, at least for a plane in flight after takeoff. Maybe it is just that word "return" that gets me stuck, like "get back here and land!"

When the signal is most likely behind you and you won't see it. On the ground makes more sense to me.

Even if it's a holdover from the good 'ol days, did pilots used to takeoff and then circle around to see if any lights are flashing at them?

Every light and sign in Boston, regardless of content or color, means "Go like hell" :p

Every light and sign in Boston, regardless of content or color, means "Go like hell" :p
Sounds like NYC! You're lucky if you can walk across the street without getting ran over.

Even if it's a holdover from the good 'ol days, did pilots used to takeoff and then circle around to see if any lights are flashing at them?

Consider if there's ten airplanes in the pattern when the tower radios fail... "we'll get you down in a sec, continue circling/doing laps in the pattern"...

with so much to learn, sometimes I ignore nagging feelings that I don't get it, and just memorize some things. Like signal lamps. I got it wrong I think on the written, a blinding green. I thought it meant "cleared to land" but that is solid green. Still the answer choices as I recall weren't right either. On the exam the other viable choice was "come in for landing and taxi to ramp" (roughly translated)

So I went through signal lamps, and blinking green makes no sense to me.

When flashed at a plane in the air, it means "return for landing, to be followed by a solid green when cleared to land" if to a plane on the ground it means "cleared for taxi" but in Norwegian they have it as "depending on whether after landing or before takeoff, taxi to park, or wait position")

So...the "return for landing", when and how would that ever be used? For one thing, planes most often takeoff and do left turn out, or right, but you no longer would be in a position to see a flashing green light from behind you at the tower? Also, why exactly would they be instructing you to return for landing? Presumably you have lost your receiver. But it seems phrased as an instruction, which seems to be the pilots responsibility.

I don't get it.
You could get that while 'circling' after getting a steady red

I don't think it's a hold over from anything. It simply means to return for landing. Meaning, we're ready for you to come back to the field but not ready to clear you to land yet.

Say you're holding because you got a steady red. Now they want you to head to the airport but can't issue a steady green yet because of traffic. Flashing green will work in that case.

Say you got a flashing red on final after you already had a steady green. Go around and then on downwind you get a flashing green. Once on final, or "at the proper time," you get a steady green.

Say you got a flashing red on final after you already had a steady green. Go around and then on downwind you get a flashing green. Once on final, or "at the proper time," you get a steady green.
Exactly...think of it as "enter the left downwind runway 27." You don't always get your landing clearance at that time, but possibly as you're flying down final.

Here ya go Bob, paste this to your forehead so it's close by! :D

Figure%2012-14.%20Light%20gun%20signals.JPG

I don't think it's a hold over from anything. It simply means to return for landing. Meaning, we're ready for you to come back to the field but not ready to clear you to land yet.

Say you're holding because you got a steady red. Now they want you to head to the airport but can't issue a steady green yet because of traffic. Flashing green will work in that case.

Thanks! That puts the piece in the puzzle for me. Makes sense. I can understand that use of it.
Really, thanks!

Here ya go Bob, paste this to your forehead so it's close by! :D

Figure%2012-14.%20Light%20gun%20signals.JPG

I've looked at that, and memorized it. That isn't the problem. The problem is understanding WHY and WHEN that would be useful or pertinent. But velocity173 gave me what I was trying to understand. Thanks though!
I didn't felling memorizing was enough. I needed to understand in which circumstances it might be used!

I've looked at that, and memorized it. That isn't the problem. The problem is understanding WHY and WHEN that would be useful or pertinent. But velocity173 gave me what I was trying to understand. Thanks though!
I didn't felling memorizing was enough. I needed to understand in which circumstances it might be used!

The chart is really self explanatory, but the AIM may have a bit more info. If you really are bored and can't sleep, the Controller's manual, FAA 7110.65, may be of interest. A lot of material in it, to be expected, but good stuff. You can read both online free.

Yep. Or buy the kneeboard that has the light signals printed on it.
Don't think they allow that in the testing room...which was the OPs dilemma... You have to know it for the test, but can carry a cheat-sheet in real life... Something not quite right about that...

Since it`s illegal to enter Class C or D without establishing communications with the tower, this section of the regs needs a rewrite, or at least clarification as far as the in-flight light signals are concerned. Maybe if you've already squawked 7600 . . . Otherwise you would probably look for a convenient uncontrolled field.

Since it`s illegal to enter Class C or D without establishing communications with the tower, this section of the regs needs a rewrite, or at least clarification as far as the in-flight light signals are concerned. Maybe if you've already squawked 7600 . . . Otherwise you would probably look for a convenient uncontrolled field.

It's not illegal to enter a class D lost commo. Communications failure procedures for IFR and VFR are in 91.129. Further guidance in AIM 4-2-13.

Last edited:
I interpreted it always as a sort of "cleared for the approach" type of deal.

The one I always got a chuckle out of is red-green-red-green. If there's something I need to exercise extreme caution about, I probably won't see it while I'm gawking at the tower watching the Christmas light show.

...When flashed at a plane in the air, it means "return for landing, to be followed by a solid green when cleared to land" if to a plane on the ground it means "cleared for taxi" but in Norwegian they have it as "depending on whether after landing or before takeoff, taxi to park, or wait position")....
The "but in Norwegian" part is different from the FAA's rule, so I wouldn't assume advice from U.S. pilots is valid in Norway.

The one I always got a chuckle out of is red-green-red-green. If there's something I need to exercise extreme caution about, I probably won't see it while I'm gawking at the tower watching the Christmas light show.

Did you say Red Green..???

7511981_orig.jpg

Ya know, I don't think I ever gave a light signal to a pilot when I controlled. Can't recall any.

Sounds like NYC! You're lucky if you can walk across the street without getting ran over.

Meh, I trust the drivers in NYC in regard to dealing with pedestrians more than I do in cities that don't have much foot traffic. KC for instance, drivers are just not used to seeing people on foot and do not look for them. In NYC there was a certain shared understanding between pedestrians and drivers. After a while of living there it all becomes very normal.

Bike messengers on the other hand. Those are the fudgers you need to watch out for....

You need to do it. Git yourself some of them laser things. They come in green and red I think.

I shot it the security police once. They were checking the BX doors for security and I lit 'em up. Their boss called the tower and I said we thought someone was trying to break in. He bought it. :D

Last edited:
Back