Garmin 430 repair

mapasha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N1915W
I have a 430 (non WAAS) that is on its way out. Not sure if its 14/28V or 28V only. Needs a new battery, on my last flight kept resetting itself and/or losing position, wouldn't load Direct to destination, etc.
I was planning on doing a nice panel upgrade next year including ADSB. Not ready to do this at the moment. My backup radio is working just fine, so I can fly for now. However it is an old Narco 811 that I would rather not have as my primary.
So I would really like to have this repaired. What are my choices? Does this have to go to Garmin? Flat rate repair? Do they even work on these non-WAAS units? Anyone know of a 3rd party shop that works on these?
Anyone got a good working unit for sale left over after an upgrade for sale cheap? Figured its worth asking.
I know that I can just replace this outright but getting ready to do another big purchase and would rather not use the funds for avionics at this time.

Thanks for your help.

Plenty of support, send it to garmin, also lots of shops can change the battery, not really that big of a deal.

I suggest you bite the bullet and have it upgraded to WAAS. They'll fix everything for a single cost ($3500 IIRC) and you'll need to replace your GPS antenna. But when you're done you've got more options for next years panel upgrade, including a more marketable unit if you choose to go in an entirely different direction.

It would be hard to believe you can spend more to upgrade this one that you will be able to sell it for in a year.

Thanks James. At this point sending to Garmin is #1 on the list since they can change the battery and check out the rest of the unit. Also I thought it was a flat rate repair. Just seeing if anyone had another alternative.

Thanks Rob, that sounds like a good plan too.

Garmin has a flat-rate repair for the 430, it's something like $1000-1200. However, Garmin's $3500 WAAS upgrade includes any repairs needed to the unit, so the WAAS upgrade is really only about $2k. IMHO, sending it in for a plain flat-rate repair is short sighted at this stage.

I understood Garmin had an official policy they won't repair a 430 unless it's also being upgraded to WAAS. Unofficially they might do something entirely different. I would check with a local Garmin dealer before I sent it in.

Changed my battery myself. Battery cost like 3 bucks and it took about an hour to do.

Any Garmin dealer can change the battery out for you. But for just about anything else you have to send it back to Garmin and they won't fix it unless you also upgrade it to WAAS. That makes it a pretty expensive fix.

Good luck with it.

Any Garmin dealer can change the battery out for you. But for just about anything else you have to send it back to Garmin and they won't fix it unless you also upgrade it to WAAS. That makes it a pretty expensive fix.

Good luck with it.

That's not actually true. Garmin will still repair multi-voltage 430s without forcing a WAAS upgrade. The only non-repairable 430s are the straight 28v units, which Garmin will only repair in connection with a WAAS upgrade.

Garmin's own words taken from its website today (https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/warranty-information/out-of-warranty):

"The GNS 430 28V only is no longer able to be repaired. The GNS 430 14/28V is still repairable. WAAS upgrade may be available for the GNS 430 28V - see your Garmin Aviation Service Center for options."

I understood Garmin had an official policy they won't repair a 430 unless it's also being upgraded to WAAS. Unofficially they might do something entirely different. I would check with a local Garmin dealer before I sent it in.
That was my understanding for the 28 volt units. It's why I had one upgraded to WAAS (which was worth it) a couple of years ago.

That was my understanding for the 28 volt units. It's why I had one upgraded to WAAS (which was worth it) a couple of years ago.
I had a 14v 430, non-WAAS. One of the push buttons had become inop. Garmin told me they wouldn't fix it unless I upgraded to WAAS at the same time.

Any way to tell whether I have a 28V or 14/28V without taking the unit out. Just trying to formulate a plan before I call a Garmin dealer or take my plane to them.

Any way to tell whether I have a 28V or 14/28V without taking the unit out. Just trying to formulate a plan before I call a Garmin dealer or take my plane to them.

Check your logbooks for a part number.

Should be a logbook entry if it wasn't original equipment.

Also, the startup screen should show model and sw version. Only the 420/430 AW are 28V. All others are 14/28.

See page 191 of the manual (Appendix B - Input Power) for reference.

EDIT -- Wrong manual - Sorry. For the Non-WAAS Appendix B states -
28 Vdc (early 430, all 430A units)
14/28 Vdc (later 430 units)

So it seems you'll need the paperwork or the serial number to know for sure.

Last edited:
Should be a logbook entry if it wasn't original equipment.

Also, the startup screen should show model and sw version. Only the 420/430 AW are 28V. All others are 14/28.

See page 191 of the manual (Appendix B - Input Power) for reference.

EDIT -- Wrong manual - Sorry. For the Non-WAAS Appendix B states -
28 Vdc (early 430, all 430A units)
14/28 Vdc (later 430 units)

So it seems you'll need the paperwork or the serial number to know for sure.

See how much easier it is to just have an iPad and an app. :D :rolleyes:

I do fly with an iPad mini 64GB and Stratux and an iPad Air as backup. But neither of those are comms and I like flying with 2 sets of comm/navs. Also my Garmin is approved for IFR approaches and isn't likely to freeze or crash or overheat in the middle of a flight.

Looks like sending it in for a WAAS upgrade is the way to go. Next year when I upgrade I will just move it to my backup comm/nav.

Thank you all for your insight.

Tip if you are sending something back to Garmin for repair...inquire if they have a "swap" unit available. They keep a stock of refurbed units for some avionics and will send just you a refurb right away vs fix and return yours for the same cost I believe. I sent in a com panel that I needed back ASAP so my dealer suggested the swap option which I jumped on and the refurb I got back had a brand new face panel and buttons...looked brand new vs the tired one I sent in.

+1 on what @Shawn said. We received our upgraded unit back and it had a problem that needed an extra trip to the mothership, so they sent us a loaner.

The loaner was mint... we asked if we could just keep it, but ours came back in the same mint condition. I think that trip cost us about 2 hours of extra tech labor and zero for shipping or Garmin charges.

Any recommendations on an avionics shop people have worked with in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois?

Now you guys are making me wonder. I was all set to get an Avidyne IFD440. Now I am wondering that maybe I should just get my -430 upgraded to WAAS and save $3500. The Avidyne has a lot of nifty features but $3500 would go a long way to some other improvement, a GTX-335 maybe. Plus it would save me the hassle of selling the -430. I am IR but not hard ifr yet. tell me what to do. I plan to keep this plane for the next 15 years. Will Garmin still be servicing the -430 was in 15 years? Will Avidyne still be around in 15 years?

Last edited:
Any recommendations on an avionics shop people have worked with in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois?

If you expand your range to western Iowa, look at Spencer Avionics. They're the best in the area.

The FAA is giving a $500 rebate if you upgrade to ADSB before Sept 2018. Depending on your upgrade choice might be worth going with an early upgrade.

For some reason i thought it was sept, I guess it was feb.

The FAA is giving a $500 rebate if you upgrade to ADSB before Sept 2018. Depending on your upgrade choice might be worth going with an early upgrade.

For some reason i thought it was sept, I guess it was feb.

It was September... Of 2017. You had to get your reservation in by a particular date in September. The install date had to be within 90 days, and then you had another 60 to get it flying and do a successful flight test after that.

I was probably one of the last people to get the rebate. Reserved in September, installed in Nov/Dec, had an issue with the registration on the plane that prevented me getting the check claim in until the day before it would have expired. :eek:

I ended up talking to Elliot Aviation and had them send my 430 in to Garmin. $1100 flat rate repair. Between the new screen and face plate, battery, and the host of upgrades and updates that Garmin installed, it was definitely worth the money. Also comes with a 6 month warranty. Very happy with the outcome. You essentially get a factory refurbished 430 back. Way cheaper than even buying a used 430. When I upgrade, this will become a very solid and reliable Comm 2.

AOPA reported on May 7th 2020:

GARMIN ENDING GNS 400/500 WAAS UPGRADES
ORDERS ACCEPTED UNTIL MAY 29 (2020)

"In order to support future GNS 400W/500W-series repairs, Garmin will be ending WAAS upgrades for non-WAAS GNS 400/500-series products on May 29, 2020. WAAS upgrade orders can be placed up until this date; however, units must be received by Garmin by June 30, 2020,” Garmin said in a statement. “Garmin has made deliberate investments to continue serviceability. Repairs will continue to be available for the non-WAAS 400/500 series 28-volt units with 16-watt com transmitter and all 14/28-volt non-WAAS 400/500-series units. These units will not be able to be eligible for the WAAS upgrade after May 29, 2020, but repairs will continue to be available after this date."

that points to the parts supply getting short. I commend garmin for cutting off upgrades to extend the service window on these units, but it points to what I have been saying for a while now, that a new install of these units is a bad investment unless you get it very cheap. spend the few extra amu's and get a newer design.

Back