A real deal on E-bay

Tom - what to you think a fair price for this little beauty might be? Make a guess at the reserve, maybe?

Tom - what to you think a fair price for this little beauty might be? Make a guess at the reserve, maybe?

actual value of the aircraft is between 25-30k, If I were in the market for an aircraft I'd hit the buy it now and go for it.

rip out all the radios and install 1 garmin 250XL, and that would make a very nice daily flyer

Where was that airplane when I was shopping last winter??

I didn't even see the Buy it Now when I looked. How much was it? It's gotten 15 bids and is currently at $18,950

I didn't even see the Buy it Now when I looked. How much was it? It's gotten 15 bids and is currently at $18,950

23,500 I think... about what I paid for my Muskrat...

Look at the bid history. The Buy It Now price went away once bidding started.

I'd be interested, but my wife would kill me.

I flew a 175 once. It was stable. If I recall, I was told that the engines are vulnerable to problems because they are geared. But someone else said that it is not any more difficult to keep up than non-gear engine.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I flew a 175 once. It was stable. If I recall, I was told that the engines are vulnerable to problems because they are geared. But someone else said that it is not any more difficult to keep up than non-gear engine.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

The GO-300 got a bad rap early, because the pilots would not run it at 2800
rpm cruise, they would pull it back to 2400 and lug the engine and crack cylinders.

If the engine is run at book speeds it will go to TBO every time. All parts of the GO-300 will interchange with the 0-300 except the case, crank, and oil sump. The Gear box that reduces the RPM to the prop is the only thing that can't be rebuilt, there are no prop shaft bearings/bushings anymore.

If you would like to hear how quite it is running, pull your 172 engine back to 2100 RPM and listen to what the prop on the 175 will sound like cruising.

geared as in a PSRU like a Rotax or Subaru engine on a homebuilt? Can't be... what does "geared" mean?

geared as in a PSRU like a Rotax or Subaru engine on a homebuilt? Can't be... what does "geared" mean?

Same theory as the reduction on the rotax. allows the crankshaft to rotate at a higher speed and develop more horse power.

GO-480 of the twin Bonaza had no problems and the GO-300 has none when operated correctly.

very, very interesting. Any links to pro/con of this setup?

very, very interesting. Any links to pro/con of this setup?

Pro--- 175 horse power out of 301 cubic inches
con--- Rebuild costs.

Every one does know the 175 converted to the Lyke 180 horse with a constant speed prop will out preform the Maule 235. at full gross weight.

Runout engine, with top. The owner probably knows the crank and gears can't be done. You're looking at a new engine, plus STC cost to convert to a non-geared. Sure, you could still run it past TBO. It might go another 500 hours. Then again, it might start making metal next month. Crap shoot, but to redo it is $$$$$$$$

The plane does look very well tended, that's a positive.

Runout engine, with top. The owner probably knows the crank and gears can't be done. You're looking at a new engine, plus STC cost to convert to a non-geared. Sure, you could still run it past TBO. It might go another 500 hours. Then again, it might start making metal next month. Crap shoot, but to redo it is $$$$$$$$

But it's not like the airplane is overpriced, current bid is $20K... so if it sells for that, you take whatever time you can get out of the engine, then convert it and still be able to get your money out of the airplane.

If I knew I could sell my Muscrat quick, I'd be bidding...

Not really true, the bottom of the Go/O-300 is known to go well beyond the hours on this one, the cylinders probably needed replacement, and now should give good service for a 1000 hours or more.

The only airworthiness issues with the engine would be the gear box and how much backlash it has and at these hours I doubt it has any.

and at 25k it is priced right for the aircraft with out engine as a project.

IMHO you will be able to fly this aircraft for 5-10 years with no problems.

And OBTW the crank can be turned under to .010' and fitted with new bearings, and the case cab be lapped and line bored to new standards again, new cylinders can be bought. and all the gears can be bought new.

The only part that is difficult to find is the reduction gear box bushings. and I was informed that Western skyways has a request for PMA on them.

Last edited:
A question, not necessarily specific to this aircraft, but it made me think of it. What's the costs involved for having a panel rearranged to a standard 6 pack on these older aircraft? Any idea on an average for labor?

A question, not necessarily specific to this aircraft, but it made me think of it. What's the costs involved for having a panel rearranged to a standard 6 pack on these older aircraft? Any idea on an average for labor?

Heavily-dependent upon the shop and how fancy you want to get; you should be able to get a nice, basic re-do (assuming nothing is broken and all the lines / wires are logically run and long enough) for a grand or $1500.00.

In the early Cessnas, the Yoke is shapped like a "T" and when pulled all the way back it comes up to meet the instrument pannel at midsection and will not allow long instruments to be placed in certain places as the 6 Pac requires.

Later Yoke style is the "Y" type which allows center stack radios and most any gauge can be placed anywhere.

Changing the Yoke is a modification to the flight controls of the aircraft and is a nightmare to gain aproval for.

There are a couple of STCed pannel updates available but they come as kits and the cost is prohibitive.

They originally came with an underdriven Franklin engine. Very few still fly with this engine, there were a ton of AD's. The 180 hp Lyc. was a very popular conversion. The CS prop is nice too. Good planes if maintained properly. I didn't read the full listing, does this one have the Franklin?

They originally came with an underdriven Franklin engine. Very few still fly with this engine, there were a ton of AD's. The 180 hp Lyc. was a very popular conversion. The CS prop is nice too. Good planes if maintained properly. I didn't read the full listing, does this one have the Franklin?

Not according to "Cessna's wings for the world" by William D. Thompson or the "Standard Catalog of CESSNA single engine aircraft' by Jim Cavanagh and Kim Shields.

IAW them, all C-175s were delivered from the factory with GO-300- versions including some with constant speed props. the last and best version was the P172 in 1963, rear window, slant tail, manual 40 degree flaps, GO-300-D, center stack radios, constant speed prop.

Quoted from a test pilot for Cessna " the nicest flying aircraft we built"

Has anyone priced the STC to convert? they are not free. Good to hear that the gearbox can be semi-rebuilt now. It'a a pay me now, and pay me more later though. If it makes 500 hours before expiration, you got kind of a deal. If it goes 10 hours to get you home, and the STC is + $5000(not unusual), and then the cost of a new or rebuilt engine and prop(gotta change that too), then the install cost of the new engine, prop, cowling, baffles, etc, I can see getting into this plane for the $50k range.

If you really want one, there's one here in Ft Worth area for $35k asking in very nice shape. Make an offer, doesn't have a RUNOUT engine.

http://www.usedaircraft.com/boardview.cfm?BBSID=13350&GroupID=10&CatCode=C185

Last edited:
I Wonder, why so many are still flying with the GO-300, when every one asumes they must be converted?

Not according to "Cessna's wings for the world" by William D. Thompson or the "Standard Catalog of CESSNA single engine aircraft' by Jim Cavanagh and Kim Shields.

IAW them, all C-175s were delivered from the factory with GO-300- versions including some with constant speed props. the last and best version was the P172 in 1963, rear window, slant tail, manual 40 degree flaps, GO-300-D, center stack radios, constant speed prop.

Quoted from a test pilot for Cessna " the nicest flying aircraft we built"

My bad, boy I guess I'm getting old. The 220 hp Franklin was actually a popular conversion for the 175. Not the other way around as I erroneously posted earlier. Franklin made this conversion intitially for Cessna Bulldog military aircraft. Unfortunately, for Franklin, the military didn't by many and they went largely unsold. Pilots began buying them and doing the conversion. It was reasonable priced only weighed about 35-40 lbs more than the power plant it replaced. Funny thing about this conversion, the 220 Hp Franklin, paired with the small hub MacCauley CSP, the prop will go sonic a high rpm, causing a very loud and unique sound. They had a rep for good rate of climb and decend speed at modest fuel burn. I think they were approved for extended run at full power and TBO was around 1500 hrs.

Wait, someone TOLD me this was a great deal........

Perhaps

not.

Ya'll have a second chance.

Remember you are buying from a salvage yard.

That's what Whentworth is

Thjis just sounds better and better every time. did anyone grab up that one in Ft worth?

Back