Checking in

Welcome to POA, Dick, and thanks for your service.

I grew up near Ellsworth loving the Buffs, got an appointment to the Air Force Academy but didn't have the eyes to qualify for a pilot, so in my 18 year old wisdom, decided on the Navy. Spent 9 years in the back end of the E-2 Hawkeye, telling fighter pukes where to go. Some of them even listened. :)

Greg
Greg,

Ellsworth is a great base. When I was managing and flying the Looking Glass, Ellsworth was one of our designated alternates, so I got there fairly often. Being an old 'bomber puke' it is easy for me to be amazed that even a few fighter pilots followed you directions. Thanks for your service.

God Bless America

Dick

I have one personal friend who says he was always awfully happy to hear a Spooky was on the way when his squad called for air support.

He flat out says he'd be dead if it weren't for one particular time a Spooky "assisted" him and his Marines with a "little problem" they had one night.

Thanks for serving. I can put you or anyone else who served aboard a Spooky in touch with someone not too many miles from here who would buy as many rounds as they cared to drink, and probably dinner too.

Denverpilot,

There are a number of nights when we worked very closely with Marines. I have shot VC off tanks, and off the tops of bunkers. It was kind of special because we could hear our bullets hitting the tank or the bunker through the Marine's mike while we were talking. Our 7.62 would not penetrate a tank or bunker, but it made the VC look like hamburger.

God Bless America

Dick

Back