What does It take to start out flying for a regional airline?

rvator51

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rvator51
450 hrs total time VFR pilot.
Need to get commercial, IFR ratings. Mult-engine add-on.

Would the best way to build hours be to buy a twin and build hours in it? If so, any suggestions on best time building twin?

I might be looked down upon for saying this, but if you can't get the multi locally, then I'd consider ATP for it.

I don't understand the title of this thread

MONEY. Enough to get all the ratings and then live on for ~5 years until the payback starts.

Note: payback might not start that soon

So you have the ratings, is there minimum hours of multi-engine time etc, they are expecting?

So you have the ratings, is there minimum hours of multi-engine time etc, they are expecting?
50hrs. Some take less. Check regional airline hiring requirements on their independent websites.

MONEY. Enough to get all the ratings and then live on for ~5 years until the payback starts.

Note: payback might not start that soon

Probably sooner than 5 years with how quickly money has been found to pay regional pilots.

You could probably find regionals who will take candidates with only 25 multi hours since you'd pick up what's needed while training for the ATP ride. I have a friend who did just that.

You could probably find regionals who will take candidates with only 25 multi hours since you'd pick up what's needed while training for the ATP ride. I have a friend who did just that.

Just to be more specific on this one, individual airlines may choose to credit 25 hours of sim time acquired during their 121 training course toward that 50-hour requirement.

It sounds like most are taking applicants with 25 hours of multi now. I'm sure there are still some that want the full 50 hours worth of time though.

It sounds like most are taking applicants with 25 hours of multi now. I'm sure there are still some that want the full 50 hours worth of time though.
Yea my airline only required 25. After I got offered the job I asked the pilot/interviewer if I should get more than 25 hours of multi (I only had 11 at the time of interview and job offer). He said no, just get 25 hours. Don't waste your money on another hour after that.

Shutting down my old regional, ASA (Atlantic Southeast) and closing my old base, ATL. Sad to hear, a lot of memories there. Remaining pilots have been absorbed into ExpressJet. Some will fly there, and some will fly American stuff at DFW. I lose my retirement travel benefit on Delta by 2020 I think, which I haven't used anyway due to full flights and the lowest priority.

I'd suggest applying at a regional with a flow agreement to the major partner, such as Endeavor for Delta, and Envoy for American. Probably others out there too that have flow agreements.

Airline started in 1979.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Southeast_Airlines

Last edited:
Get a CPL, get a job, buld hours to ATP mins at said job, don't crash, get multiple DUIs, or poke your eye out and you'll have a job at a regional.

Shutting down my old regional, ASA (Atlantic Southeast) and closing my old base, ATL. Sad to hear, a lot of memories there. Remaining pilots have been absorbed into ExpressJet. Some will fly there, and some will fly American stuff at DFW. I lose my retirement travel benefit on Delta by 2020 I think, which I haven't used anyway due to full flights and the lowest priority.

I'd suggest applying at a regional with a flow agreement to the major partner, such as Endeavor for Delta, and Envoy for American. Probably others out there too that have flow agreements.

Airline started in 1979.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Southeast_Airlines

Endeavor does not have a flow arrangement. Envoy, PSA and Piedmont all have AA flow, only 3 carriers in the WO game that have flow.

As mentioned above only PSA, PDT, and Envoy have a flow, Endeavor is only an SSP meaning you reach certain criteria and get the opportunity to interview. Much different than a flow where when your number comes up off to class you go

Back to the OP's original question, I flew with many crew members who took a million different paths to get there.

I'd suggest looking st FAR 61.159 and 61.160 as you'd need ATP mins (61.159) or see if you can qualify for some form of the Restricted ATP (61.160) but there are many intricate requirements, 50 multi (25 in a sim as part of airline training can count) a certain amount of night pic, etc, so read the requirements, find a way that works best for you to hit those time minimums, get the time, apply, go to the airline. So long story short you need a commercial multi-engine land with an instrument rating and meet the requirements of 61.159/61.160

The airline bretheren and sisters on this forum will agree with my next statement. Seniority is everything! So if that's your goal my personal recommendation is get at it! Good luck!

I enjoyed my time in the regionals and now there's a lot more money on the table at them than back when I was in and started

50hrs. Some take less. Check regional airline hiring requirements on their independent websites.
In all honesty this is not true.
I mean, I get the point you're trying to make, but this is off by a bit.

It should also be noted that while the regional airlines have severely reduced their hiring mins, their training standards have remained extremely high.
Good luck. I think several may wash out.

In all honesty this is not true.
I mean, I get the point you're trying to make, but this is off by a bit.

It should also be noted that while the regional airlines have severely reduced their hiring mins, their training standards have remained extremely high.
Good luck. I think several may wash out.
True...don't think "they'll teach me everything I need to know." Be proficient in instrument flying and procedures, etc., so all they have to do is teach you to apply what you know to the specific airplane.

Oh, yeah...go out and do some steep turns under the hood, and start thinking about lowering a wing to drop the nose in a nose-high unusual attitude.

True...don't think "they'll teach me everything I need to know." Be proficient in instrument flying and procedures, etc., so all they have to do is teach you to apply what you know to the specific airplane.

Oh, yeah...go out and do some steep turns under the hood, and start thinking about lowering a wing to drop the nose in a nose-high unusual attitude.
Yea one of my sim instructors told me, "we're not here to teach you how to fly an ILS. We're here to teach you how to fly an ILS in our jet."

Back