San Francisco new member

Stan Cooper

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Stan Cooper
New member from San Francisco here. My name is Stan, and I own N601KE, a Zenith CH601XL-B LSA which I hangar at Oakland International (KOAK) North Field. I obtained my private certificate in 1964 while on active duty stationed at Hill AFB, UT. I've previously owned a Cessna 150 and a 172.

It's nice to be aboard.

-Stan

Nice to have you aboard, Stan.

Welcome!

You've been flying longer than I've been alive! (but not by much)

I'm curious what flying out of OAK is like. I think Alaska and Southwest operate from there. Is it a good LSA airport?

Welcome to POA from another San Franciscan. I learned to fly at KOAK, but lived and worked in other parts of the country before relocating back here a couple months ago.

You've been flying longer than I've been alive! (but not by much)

I'm curious what flying out of OAK is like. I think Alaska and Southwest operate from there. Is it a good LSA airport?
OAK is a great airport. There are really two airports in one; the general aviation side is North Field and has three runways, while the airlines have a single runway on the South Field. Airport security is excellent since it's an international airport, and there are a number of LSAs based at North Field. It's the closest GA airport to San Francisco, and because it's a Class C airport under the SFO Class B, coordination with NorCal Approach is excellent. Much, in not most, of the North Field traffic is single-engine VFR.

At 75, I'm happy to still be healthy and still flying! :)

Welcome to POA from North Carolina! Lots of good people and info on here from all levels of experience. You'll find everything from good info and good topics to silly arguments that will be repeated from time to time, some entertainment, great pictures (I suggest checking out the Daily Pic thread) and a lot more!

Welcome Stan! I learned to fly at KOAK back in the late nineties Oakland Flyers. Was based there for 12 years. Flew Oakland Flyer's planes and then bought my own and got a hangar over in the "New Tees". It is a great airport and has a lot going for it. I do much prefer it now out in the country at Byron though.

Thanks, Dave. The CFI that gives me my flight reviews likes the area around Byron for practicing airwork, and the Byron airport for practicing takeoffs and landings. We use Stockton and Livermore for practice approaches.

My hangar is in the "Old Tees" just west of the approach end of 15.

Thanks, Dave. The CFI that gives me my flight reviews likes the area around Byron for practicing airwork, and the Byron airport for practicing takeoffs and landings. We use Stockton and Livermore for practice approaches.

My hangar is in the "Old Tees" just west of the approach end of 15.

Yeah, everybody comes to Byron for touch n goes. Reliable strong crosswinds are usually available with a nice big runway to practice on. Sometimes gets kinda crowded in the pattern.

Byron get's hairy when the a**hat jump pilot is flying and takes off/lands against the traffic, usually cutting off everyone in the pattern.
(I was in LVK for 6 months and flew over to Byron for fuel).

Byron get's hairy when the a**hat jump pilot is flying and takes off/lands against the traffic, usually cutting off everyone in the pattern.
(I was in LVK for 6 months and flew over to Byron for fuel).

Yes, I'm used to it. They will always land 30 and takeoff 12. It doesn't matter what the wind is doing. The pilots have changed in recent years for whatever reason and the new guy/s seem much more thoughtful. A while back it was more like- "I own this place, so everybody watch out! Here I go!" I nearly witnessed them back then take off head on to a landing Cirrus. Fortunately someone else on frequency clued them in and told them to stop. They now make much more courteous and useful position reports.

Yes, I'm used to it. They will always land 30 and takeoff 12. It doesn't matter what the wind is doing. The pilots have changed in recent years for whatever reason and the new guy/s seem much more thoughtful. A while back it was more like- "I own this place, so everybody watch out! Here I go!" I nearly witnessed them back then take off head on to a landing Cirrus. Fortunately someone else on frequency clued them in and told them to stop. They now make much more courteous and useful position reports.

Ok, it sounds like the offender has left, which is great news. He was a complete d**sh*t... A year ago, I called short final 30 (after flying a full R/H pattern with position reports at every turn), and he said "I'm taking off 12, you better go around". He was just about to start his taxi. I told him, in rather unprofessional terms, that I'm landing and you can foxtrot oscar... I might have taken a few extra minutes to vacate, and I might have required full length, in my 150. (the locals know this guy and they know he deserved a lesson...)
Great field, with the best fuel prices in the area.

24 responses and you haven't been called a troll.

Congrats, that's a new high.

Back