Houston - Rockport

Sad,unfortunately there will probably be many more aircraft lost.

I trust hurricanes, floods, and other major storm activity are perils covered by hull insurance?

And I guess that, with most policies being stated value policies, the underwriters are already hip to phone calls such as, "hey! This is Mike and I live in he area where the storm is gonna slam into us... I'd like to raise the agreed insured value of my C152 to $300,000..."

Storms are crazy. Saw a newscast in Rockport and they showed the library with windows blown out, roof gone, and books not only still on the shelf, but books on top of the shelves that were between bookends still there.

Storms are crazy. Saw a newscast in Rockport and they showed the library with windows blown out, roof gone, and books not only still on the shelf, but books on top of the shelves that were between bookends still there.
There was the storm that demolished the Texas Aggie Library....

Both books....

And one of them wasn't even colored in yet...

The good thing is most airplanes are covered by insurance. I have three pilot friends who are down there in their boats still pulling families out of their houses even today. I wish I could be there with them. I'm so proud to call them my friends. They have an app that shows them where families are waiting for rescue and they're getting to each one as quickly as possible. Love these guys and the fact that they didn't hesitate to head into the storm to help.

My friend Brandon carrying a young man to the boat.
21106868_10156107323860110_6152712859105675332_n.jpg

And helping another family into the boat.
21231711_10156107323930110_2056820402999559504_n.jpg

And my friend Stephen Covington of SRC Airshows and his friend Brady.
21230889_10210365472598973_8643835649004201281_n.jpg

21199640_10155707457577072_8446533621136627431_o.jpg

My uneducated guess would be, for the same reason that the hangar behind it is missing its door, roof, and two sides.

I expected that cowls should stay attached to a plane when exposed to 100 MPH winds. After all, that's what they do in flight.

I expected that cowls should stay attached to a plane when exposed to 100 MPH winds. After all, that's what they do in flight.
But in flight they don't tumble around on pavement, nor have flying debris coming at them. Nor are they perhaps undergoing maintenance at the time.

From the collection of Harvey-related cartoons published this week:
upload_2017-8-29_15-43-26.png

There was a photo of - I think - Weiser Airpark today under water. There were at least 5 planes parked there with water up to the windows. I'll have to see if I can find the picture.

It was reported that 30% of Harris County is under water... Harris County is the county surrounding Houston.

Sad to see all the destruction form the storm. It certainly has changed the lives of many folks in a short time. I hope everyone recovers from such a tragedy.

One of the flood control dams that protects downtown Houston topped its spillway at 108' last night and started discharging.

It's going to get worse there before it gets better.

Having just spent 3 months recovering and repairing from a 1" flood of clean water in my house ($50,000 and a lot of trouble) I cannot imagine...

Another sad part is how many scamming contractors are going to come into the area soon and make off with folks' repair money.

Friends of ours live on the south side of Houston. He works at JSC. They have 2 inches of water on the floor, and 9 inches in the garage. Just put new carpets in the house. This is going to be expensive and painful.

After seeing some of the photos from Jay Honek's motel, it's going to be months there, too...

There was a photo of - I think - Weiser Airpark today under water. There were at least 5 planes parked there with water up to the windows. I'll have to see if I can find the picture.

It was reported that 30% of Harris County is under water... Harris County is the county surrounding Houston.
Just yesterday, Weiser was fine. The reservoir controlled releases, however, are still causing some new damage and flooding (but still significantly less than the uncontrolled would be otherwise). A buddy of mine near Weiser did fine until last night... he barely got away with not losing his house. I'm also worried about West Houston. It was okay as of the last status update a couple of days ago, but the weather reporting went belly up today... and it's inside of the area being evacuated right now. I had my airplane hangared for the storm, so we'll see how that goes.

This pic is my airport (3T2), 10nm south of KHOU.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 81
My neighborhood, which is fairing VERY well compared to others.
Which area are you in? That's a lot of water left. I'm glad those streets are taking water that well. I'm about 2 miles N of IWS (6 and Keith Harrow) and bone dry again.

And I'm enjoying watching the C130s orbiting overhead right now.

And the fleet shrinks a little more :(

That's OK. The fleet needs shrinking. There are way more planes than there are people wanting to own and maintain them. They're already priced under the sum of their parts in many cases and still no buyers.

You know, that cowl and those wing tips might be gone for possibly the same reason this plane got stuck in a hurricane in the first place. It might have been in the middle of annual or some such.

Which area are you in? That's a lot of water left. I'm glad those streets are taking water that well. I'm about 2 miles N of IWS (6 and Keith Harrow) and bone dry again.
I'm in central Pearland, near 35 & Magnolia. My flight instructor is in friendswood, and used to work at JSC (Johnson Space Center). He lives on Polly Ranch Airpark, and his neighbor down the street had 4' of water in their house. Might have pictures of that tomorrow. Hooray Dual-sport motorcycle..

From the collection of Harvey-related cartoons published this week:
View attachment 55955
Back during one of the floods closer to 2000, a dive recovery team was raising money by selling souvenir shirts that said "I dove Interstate 10" and the logo was the highway sign with the red white dive flag look.

Last edited:
So that's where you are at. IWS is a common Angel Flight stop for me. Next one I do gah goes there, I'll plan for extra time to find you and say hello in person.

Just yesterday, Weiser was fine. The reservoir controlled releases, however, are still causing some new damage and flooding (but still significantly less than the uncontrolled would be otherwise). A buddy of mine near Weiser did fine until last night... he barely got away with not losing his house. I'm also worried about West Houston. It was okay as of the last status update a couple of days ago, but the weather reporting went belly up today... and it's inside of the area being evacuated right now. I had my airplane hangared for the storm, so we'll see how that goes.

Sarah Rovner on Facebook posted photos of West Houston airport today. The water released did flood their airport but not horribly deep. Her airplane was up to the wheels in water but it hadn't gone higher. New wheel bearings and brakes for sure for anyone in the t-hangars judging by her photos.

Yeah, last I heard the water was about a foot deep at IWS. That puts it right about up to the belly of a Cherokee or similar low wing.

So that's where you are at. IWS is a common Angel Flight stop for me. Next one I do gah goes there, I'll plan for extra time to find you and say hello in person.

Shoot me a message and I'll be sure to be out there!

Sarah Rovner on Facebook posted photos of West Houston airport today. The water released did flood their airport but not horribly deep. Her airplane was up to the wheels in water but it hadn't gone higher. New wheel bearings and brakes for sure for anyone in the t-hangars judging by her photos.

Yeah, I had seen the picture she posted of the t-covers today to one of the groups. I had mine moved to a community hangar for the storm... But I told them I didn't care which one they stuck me in since I wouldn't be flying until after. Other photos on the Houston Area Aviators group shows the West side to be doing okay, but I'm worried that if I'm in the blue hangar, I'll have some work to do. I'm hoping not, as I'd like to help out with some of the relief flights being organized.

Back