Houston Hobby closed through Wed. Due to Flooding

Or brilliant. Depends on whether flooding can destroy the data on harddrives.

(Admittedly a "movie plot" scenario. But if you want to wipe out the data in a plausibly deniable way without doing anything to the rest of the building...)
Actually, archived data storage, at least when I worked there, were salt caves, don't remember where. Might be Kansas.

I live close to Friendswood...basically we are all screwed right now...

Well, having lived in Houston for 11 years until I Saw The Light and got tired of floods, humidity and traffic. Does that count?

But for more authority, check out the USGS website for elevations of major cities. Houston elevation ranges from sea level to 50 ft or so. Pretty much every building in downtown Houston has basements at or below sea level. I've been in the sub-basements of the Exxon building when I worked there. We used to laugh that putting the data center down there was incredibly stupid.

basements and sub-basements of buildings does not equal the city being below sea level, that's just plain false.

And yes, I'm from Houston, grew up in Humble and Houston, and still have a ton of friends and family there dealing with this currently.

Houston flood history (Wiki)
  • December 6–9, 1935 - A massive flood inundates Houston, killing eight people; the Harris County Flood Control District is created in the aftermath.
  • September 11, 1961 - Hurricane Carla struck the Texas Coast to the east of Port Lavaca, Texas, bringing heavy rainfall and wind damage to the Houston area.
  • August 18, 1983 - Hurricane Alicia hits Houston and Galveston.
  • June 5 – June 9, 2001 - Tropical Storm Allison devastates the Houston area flooding much of the city including the Central Business District, several cultural institutions and major hospitals and research facilities in the Texas Medical Center. The storm is called a 500-year event.
  • June 19, 2006 - Major flooding in Southeast Houston causes homes and roads to fill up with water. This was the most rain since Tropical Storm Allison in 2001
  • September 13, 2008 - Hurricane Ike passes through city causing flooding, wind damage and widespread power failures.
  • May 25 - May 26, 2015 - Historic Houston Flood Devastating storms floods most of the city.
  • April 18, 2016 - The 2016 Houston floods took place in nine counties near the city.[17]

...Lots of the Houston area really is below sea level...

Well, having lived in Houston for 11 years until I Saw The Light and got tired of floods, humidity and traffic. Does that count?
...Houston elevation ranges from sea level to 50 ft or so...

You contradict yourself.

I guess I have 40 more years here than you, and for all of my years here, it's been at or above sea level. A basement doesn't count. Yes, the elevations are low, and yes Houston is prone to flooding, but we are not below sea level like Amsterdam or New Orleans.

I lived in Pearland in the 1990s and have relatives who are life long residents of H-town and its suburbs. Can't remember ever seeing a basement there.

Wow. Pretty decent p* match about who knows what about H-Town. In the end, it doesn't change the fact that large parts of South East Texas are experiencing a flood event that is very rare for this area.

What does FAA have controllers doing during such closures?

Most recent reports are IAH, HOU and Houston TRACON controllers are stranded. Center seems in better shape.
TRACON is facing the threat of running out of food before the rains let up. The FAA is attempting to bring emergency food and supplies to HOU.

Typically, during say a snow storm of unprecedented magnitude or similar, once enough to run the shift show up they call the rest and tell them to stay home. This is obviously a much larger disaster in scale and magnitude. I believe New York TRACON had gas trucks set up during the last major hurricane as gas was scarse after landfall. I've seen co-workers offered state troopers to ferry them to and from work in lesser situations.

What are they actually doing though? Playing cards ;)

NATCA reported yesterday afternoon that nine controllers were trapped at the TRACON and still working traffic. They were hoping to get food and other supplies to them. There's some of your many everyday heroes this storm is going to produce.

Wow. Pretty decent p* match about who knows what about H-Town.

Oh yeah! Well I live in the desert and can spell Houston (as long as the spell checker doesn't give out);)

El Paso closes for 1/4" rain fall and any snow (no accumulation necessary). Our school districts closed completely 3 years ago for a snow day and it never occurred (just the threat). On that note, it would be the end of the world here if we were ever exposed to what SE Texas is going through. Thoughts and prayers ...

Back