Our airplane in the totality

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Co-owner posted the 360 degree camera view of his flight inside the totality, somewhere near Glendo, WY.

You can tilt it and look all around. Camera was mounted near the top of the right side window bump in the 182, so it can see "up" pretty well.

He says if you have one of those fancy VR headsets (cardboard or the real deal) you can play it and look all around with one of those. I don't have one. But mentioning it for the geeks who do.

That was cool. I used to say trying to see the eclipse from the air was foolish, for several reasons. You proved me wrong.

Very cool. I knew someone had to have flown around and made a video - best one I've seen.

What camera did you use?

Very cool. I knew someone had to have flown around and made a video - best one I've seen.

What camera did you use?

Wasn't me, was my airplane co-owner. He says it was a Samsung Gear 360.

About six airplanes orbiting the reservoir... he says all were coordinating on 122.9 -- they easily decided on different altitudes and then held them for separation.

I guess that's something to know. Lots of folks don't know 122.75 is air-to-air so they'll be listening on the closest convenient CTAF frequency. Might as well pop both into two radios if you have dual Comm.

Denver Center (like most of the rest) wasn't doing any Flight Following service, so no need for a radio tied to their freq. Or should I say, better use of the second radio was the CTAF plus 122.75 overall.

By the way, if you're a Tapatalk user, the link inside the built in browser won't do the 360/VR part right. And perhaps other methods won't either.

You can tell if you just see a static video with a wraparound view that you can't pan around inside of.

Do the video directly off of YouTube in a real browser for the "look around" effect.

By the way, if you're a Tapatalk user, the link inside the built in browser won't do the 360/VR part right. And perhaps other methods won't either.

You can tell if you just see a static video with a wraparound view that you can't pan around inside of.

Do the video directly off of YouTube in a real browser for the "look around" effect.
Worked for me on the S8.

Excellent!! I chose to watch it from the ground, and it was spectacular, but this was very awesome, too! Thanks to your co-owner for posting, and thanks to you for re-posting it here.

Co-owner posted the 360 degree camera view of his flight inside the totality, somewhere near Glendo, WY.

You can tilt it and look all around. Camera was mounted near the top of the right side window bump in the 182, so it can see "up" pretty well.

He says if you have one of those fancy VR headsets (cardboard or the real deal) you can play it and look all around with one of those. I don't have one. But mentioning it for the geeks who do.
I hope they didn't forget(miss) looking at the sun during the total. I didn't hear them talking about it. Some people don't realize you can(must) look without glasses at that point.

Great video. We were flying just south of Salem, OR and it was amazing to watch the ground suddenly go dark. Lights came on in the town under us. Watched the eclipse and then when it ended the ground just lit up again. My wife called it the flight of a lifetime. Truly an incredible experience. With luck we'll visit a high school friend (and maid of honor at our wedding) and watch the 2024 eclipse from the ground in Texas.

What a cool video! Thanks for sharing!

I was on the ground at Glendo! It was the perfect place to view the spectacle.

That is a really cool video. and the whole move the camera view around with my mouse....mind blown!

Back