Send good thoughts and prayers to Jay Honeck

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Send good thoughts and prayers to @Jay Honeck 's general direction...

Amelia's landing is gonna be real close to ground zero for Hurricane Harvey.

Photos are from his facebook page.... He and family have bugged out to New Braunsfels.

From Jay:
"The latest.
City of Port Aransas will issue a FULL MANDATORY EVACUATION notice to be off the island by 9:00 PM TONIGHT. We were on a conference call with the National Weather Service and the forecast has turned serious. NWS is expecting Harvey to be a Cat 3 by landfall with possible sustained winds of 115 mph and rainfall amounts up to 20 inches which could produce a life threatening storm surge of 6 to 10 feet above ground level. According to NWS, this storm is rapidly intensifying. All schools and city offices will be closed and only medical and emergency personnel, city leaders and key city department personnel will be allowed to remain on the island. The city leaders will make a determination for re-entry when they think conditions are safe again. There are no longer any residence cards that will get residents and property owners back on the island. According to City Mgr Dave Parsons, "Nobody gets back in until the State Police pull the barricades. This thing got real folks... real fast. Now is the time for smart actions and thinking. May God bless."​

20954018_1420622327973657_1186535227208345031_n.jpg

21077535_1420622397973650_302111909823681649_n.jpg

20994366_1420622474640309_8691469765895084384_n.jpg

Jay and Mary are great people. Crossing fingers!

Hoping Jay and the whole gang from TX stay safe.

My best!

Was just thinking of them as I checked the local weather and saw the storm track. Good job bugging out, people first, everything else a far second. I pray for all of PA the forecast is wrong.

Jay, let us know what's up when you can. Hoping this is all a big scare for nothing, but despite not having seen one in years, we all know what hurricanes can do.

We are in the path of that thing albeit inland. Hunkering down for winds and flash flooding. Stores were insane this morning; empty now.

Good luck Jay.. Hoping for the best outcome..

Having a place on Hatteras island NC I know the feeling of waiting for a major storm to smack your property. Glad y'all are off the island and on high ground. Good luck... and what luck won't cover, hopefully insurance will.

Be safe Jay! Word Fleet Weather Center this afternoon said there is a good chance it will be a Cat 4 by the time it makes landfall. They were predicting ground zero to be the old base at Ingleside. Hope your hotel makes it through!

I just got home from the office and saw the news about Harvey.
Here's hoping the predictions of Category and wind speeds turn out to be too pessimistic.
Stay safe Jay and Mary.

The part that really sucks is he just took the prop off the airplane for overhaul so he couldn't fly it out. He jacked it up as high as he could in the hangar in case of storm surge. Serious suckage there if the water gets to it.

The hotel (from his past posts and chatting with him) has been hit a LOT in the past which is why they don't go too "high end" on renovations and upgrades. Eventually everything on a barrier island on the Gulf gets trashed to some extent, even if not a direct hit.

But damaging the airplane would just royally suck.

Here's hoping for a surprise downgrade or track change that helps the red airplane make it through unscathed. I know it's his and Mary's pride and joy.

Well, crap. Hope it misses... he's not hangared at the Port Aransas field I hope. Water comes almost up to the runway threshold in normal conditions :(

Well, crap. Hope it misses... he's not hangared at the Port Aransas field I hope. Water comes almost up to the runway threshold in normal conditions :(

He's not, AFAIK. Unless the airplane was there for the maintenance. Not sure and even if I was sure, I don't think I'd telegraph where the airplane is anyway. Best not said, even if I knew.

I just know he said elsewhere that he was jacking it as high as they could safely get it. Which... must suck knowing that's your only option with a storm coming.

He joked they've always had a plan for everything living on the island and because of stuff like the prop being off, the entire plan was totally jacked up. (Pun intended?)

But sounds like they improvised as best they could. (They also have multiple vehicles to move and what-not.)

When he first posted that the plan was messed up, I responded that the new plan was, "Bend over... and kiss...". Now I feel a little bad about being sarcastic. But I know he can handle the jokes.

Fingers crossed Harvey doesn't plaster Texas and especially Jay and his motel.
We dont do facebook,,,please keep us informed.

The part that really sucks is he just took the prop off the airplane for overhaul so he couldn't fly it out. He jacked it up as high as he could in the hangar in case of storm surge. Serious suckage there if the water gets to it.
I thought he was not based at KRAS anymore. Are airports inland in danger too?

I thought he was not based at KRAS anymore. Are airports inland in danger too?
Pretty sure he's at KRKP, which is 23 feet above sea level. No sea flooding, it certainly inches of rain can flood. Thankfully airplanes do better than cars in floods; you've got a few feet to work with before the flood water starts causing expensive damage.

Glad to see they got out. Hoping that all the preparations were unnecessary.

Pretty sure he's at KRKP, which is 23 feet above sea level. No sea flooding, it certainly inches of rain can flood. Thankfully airplanes do better than cars in floods; you've got a few feet to work with before the flood water starts causing expensive damage.
The hotel is closer to KRAS. Rockport is on the mainland. Not sure which airport he keeps Amelia (the RV8-A) and his cars.

Last edited:
An image Jay posted.... CRP is Corpus Christi, across the sound from Mustang Island and Port Aransas where the hotel is.

20993817_10154870603913027_3090187773402718119_n.jpg

He posted this photo of the hangar before he left.

21083022_1420760884626468_34079156693525975_o.jpg

This one might hurt.

--

We visited Jay and Mary down at their place one weekend a number of years ago. We had a LOT of rain while we were there, and it left local roads, parking lots, and large areas of the airport under several inches of water for most of a day. That rain was nothing like what's forecast for this storm.

I've been thinking about you each of the last few days, Jay. Glad you and Mary and doing well. That's what counts.

The hotel is closer to KRAS. Rockport is on the mainland. Not sure which airport he keeps Amelia (the RV8-A) and his cars.
Yes but he couldn't get a hangar at KRAS (which was the source of many of his rants here about wealthy locals buying them all up for non-aviation use) so hopefully being inland and a bit higher his car and aircraft collection will fair well in the storm. As to the hotel...I hope he is well insured for these type of events. Hopefully he will be able to reopen quickly and the storm won't damage any of the aviation memorabilia he has at the hotel.

They say things are bigger in Texas but dayum! I can barely fit my airplane into my hangar, can't imagine being able to put in cars too.

I hope this doesn't hit Jay and Mary too hard.

Best of luck Jay, sorry I missed you at OSH this year.

How far inland is the hangar?
Aransas County is the Rockport, TX airport. Port Aransas is where Jay's hotel is. Mustang Beach Airport is the closest field to the hotel.

upload_2017-8-25_11-25-56.png

RAS is Port Aransas, where our home and the hotel are, 12' above sea level.

TFP is Ingleside, where our hangar, airplane, etc. are located. 22' above sea level.

I'm not a religious man, but I believe it's time to ask for prayers, as we seem to have run out of luck.
0c98b7b8355970742ddba1692ef9b119.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jay - glad that you guys are physically out of harm's way. But fingers crossed and prayers the impact of the hurricane is minimal.

Just checked on my MyRadar app... :(

Attachments

• IMG_0420.PNG
    IMG_0420.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Hang in there Jay, we're all thinking of you, Mary and the gang.

Weather channel guy just said ground zero for coming ashore is about 20 miles north of Port Aransas, but could change within a few miles.

Jay, I am so glad to hear that you and yours are out of the way of this thing. I hope your stuff weathers the storm OK, but if not, its replaceable. You and Mary aren't.

You may give me a hard time about Ohio, but one nice thing I can say is that the wx here, however unpleasant, is but rarely lethal.

Back