Looking for Fly-in's in California

H

hawknips

Hi all,

I am looking for cool fly-in's here in California like you guys in the east and midwest have. Is there a Gaston's out here in the west? I would love to fly the family in to some cool fly-in's. Any good suggestions?

Thanks
-Will

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be the one to tell you Will but the cool flyins are all in the East.:rolleyes: Seroiusly check www.Flyincalendar.com a site maintained by one of our own here at POA Igor. ( Igor where are ya haven't seen ya in a while)

Thanks for the link Adam. I found a pancake fly-in in Modesto. I may just have to fly out there next month. Thanks for the help. Is there more?

-Will

Well there is

www.adventurepilot.com

and this one that just popped up on the board today

www.fly2lunch.com.

They will give you places to fly to and eat but for true flyins and events with other pilots the flyincalendar is the most comprehenisive.

You can also check out the AOPA calander on their new website. I knew how to get it on thier old site but haven't looked on the new site. In addition if you subscribe to the weekely Epilot mailing from AOPA you can request Flyin events for specific regions around the US. And each Friday when the email you your epilot there will be a list of events at the very bottom.

All great suggestions by Adam, but there is always one more step you can take, and IMHO, its the most fun:

Organize a POA flyin somewhere you can fly to. Ask Adam/Ed/Diana/Tony about how rewarding it can be to meet a bunch of us in person and swap pilot stories!

Heya Will,

Can't help ya with CA fly-ins, but it's about darn time ya showed up here! :yes: Welcome aboard! :goofy:

For the rest of you, Will has an excellent podcast. Get on iTunes and search for "Pilot's Flight PodLog" and subscribe. You might hear some people you know on there. ;)

Organize a POA flyin somewhere you can fly to. Ask Adam/Ed/Diana/Tony about how rewarding it can be to meet a bunch of us in person and swap pilot stories!

see latest pilots flight podlog. seriously its as easy as 1,2,3!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the welcome and the plug on my podcast. Also maybe you are right. I should just organize my own fly in. Good idea, I better get on that.

And yes I should get my but out there some time, besides going to Airventure, maybe someday.

-Will

All great suggestions by Adam, but there is always one more step you can take, and IMHO, its the most fun:

Ah now thats a great idea.

Take a look at the red board $100 hamburger forum. There's something going on about once a month in the west. Last one was to Flabob.
Red board = AOPA forums for newbies.

Will, as I mentioned on your podcast, funplacestofly.com is also good, you can check the EAA calendar, and also safetypilotclub.com has a forum with events and 100 dollar hamburger places too.

BTW - welcome to PoA! Now you need to work on getting Jason Miller to sign on here too! :)

I think Jason has signed up here but he manages to stay busy with his real life and CFIing, he doesnt even contribute a ton to his own forum at thefinerpoints.net

Sept 22nd is a Flour Bomb competition at Chirico Summit Airport. $10 entry fee per crew. $100 1st Prize. I'll have contact phone number later.

November 10th - 11:00 a.m. - Mojave airport, its posted on the red boards. We are going to tour the boneyard.

As far as something like Gaston's, or 6Y9, there isn't much. Unfortunately, the pilot community out here isn't nearly as strong as the one they have in the mid-west or maybe even the east coast. The problem with most of the fly-ins I've seen on the AOPA board is that you won't find much of a sense of a community there.

Maybe we should start a Southern Oregon annual event :)

-Felix

As far as something like Gaston's, or 6Y9, there isn't much. Unfortunately, the pilot community out here isn't nearly as strong as the one they have in the mid-west or maybe even the east coast. The problem with most of the fly-ins I've seen on the AOPA board is that you won't find much of a sense of a community there.

Maybe we should start a Southern Oregon annual event :)

-Felix

I'm in. Sunriver?

You know, that might be a great idea. Think we can pull it off? I'd be fun - maybe a similar format as Gaston's (long weekend).

-Felix

Btw., I'm talking with the McKinsey guys this weekend. Any tips? B)

Well, I've got friends in Bend I'd love to visit. If Columbia is still around, maybe we could do a field trip there.

Good luck w/McKinsey. I think they like the brainteaser questions (this is 16 year old college information), like: you have 100 piles, each with 100 widgets. All widgets in all piles weighs 1 oz. (or one gram if it's easier for ya ;)) except for one pile where each widget weighs .9 oz (or grams). You have a scale you can use exactly one time. How do you determine which pile has the lighter widgets?

Or...why are manhole covers round?

Btw., I'm talking with the McKinsey guys this weekend. Any tips? B)

Excellent. If you've even made it that far, you've done good!

Expect a couple of case-study type questions. They will want to see how you approach a problem & solution. The approach is more important than the ultimate solution. But make sure you address the issue that they present....

I was a judge at an MBA case competition last weekend. One team did a decent job of presenting and evaluating - but they didn't even address the original question that was presented (as in, the question was "how do we globalize the company" and they presented "how do we build the ancillary businesses".) The McKinsey process is much like a case competition.

Thanks, Sam and Bill! I appreciate the insight. They've been bugging me for a while now, so I finally just said yes - mostly for the free dinner and drinks ;)

As far as the fly-in goes - we'll probably just have to go ahead and get something set up. If it's anything like Gaston's, people will start showing up.

-Felix

. The problem with most of the fly-ins I've seen on the AOPA board is that you won't find much of a sense of a community there.

-Felix
I went to the Bishop fly-in and last years Big Bear Fly-in (I think you were there) and I couldn't disagree more.

You know, that might be a great idea. Think we can pull it off? I'd be fun - maybe a similar format as Gaston's (long weekend).

-Felix

Sunriver... I will look into that. Brendan and I have been talking about this fly in. So far it is looking like it will be in Southern Oregon somewhere. Sunriver looks good as it is in a great location for hiking and fishing. It looks beautiful.

But let me pose this question. What would you want to do at a fly in. I hear much about Gaston's and how fun it is. But what do you guys do there? Are there set activities, or is it just more of a get together? Also how long are most people willing to fly for a fly in? Are one day'ers or over nighters better? Most of these questions will be asked in my next podcast, but I would love any input you can give me. Is there anyone out that thinking about flying to a fly in I put together?

Thanks again, to everyone, for all the great advice and info.
-Will

Sunriver itself has a lot of stuff to do:hiking, fishing, biking, rafting, etc. Could also pop over and see the Columbia, I mean Cessna, factory, possibly.

I hear much about Gaston's and how fun it is. But what do you guys do there? Are there set activities, or is it just more of a get together?
Some of us fly the entire time, giving rides or getting rides. We can sit right next to the runway, so hanging out next to the runway is a great way to spend a lot of time. I personally don't plan any activities, but do like to try to get people to tell me how many people want to be included in the dinner reservations. This is sometimes as easy as herding cats. :eek:

Different people volunteer to take care of various aspects of the fly-in.

Some people like to organize poker games, outdoor movies next to the runway at night, and other things and some of us just wander around a lot.

There are walking trails at Gaston's, a tennis court, a swimming pool, and of course river activities. There is a restaurant right there, so you don't have to ever leave the resort if you don't want to. If you do want to drive around, the resort will loan you one of their vans.

If you go to our web site, you will be able to read the history of our fly-in and more information:

www.gastonsflyin.com

Also how long are most people willing to fly for a fly in? Are one day'ers or over nighters better?
Some people come for just a day, some of us stay for several days and keep adding days every year. I can't stand it when I hear about people who are already there having fun without me! So, I keep going earlier and earlier every year.

Back