Is Texas GA friendly?

Man alive, you haven't visited Austin lately, have you?

Someone above noted it - Austin has steadfastly refused to anticipate its growth with infrastructure, and the piper has called for payment. Austin's traffic makes the worst in Dallas look like child's play. There are no workarounds - you're just... stuck.

At this point, Dallas-Fort Worth's traffic is much (and I mean profoundly) less burdensome than Austin's. It's terrible.

Why do you say that? Most people I've seen stop to offer help, do so because they want to offer help.
Dallas' traffic is not bad, especially if you are from Boston or DC.

After more research and discussion with my wife, we have concluded several things:

> First, and most important, is that the humidity in Stockton (where we currently live) is only slightly less than that of the greater Dallas metroplex. Also, the temps and humidity in the Dallas area are very similar to those that she grew up with in the Ukraine.
> The greater Dallas area has Russian/European grocery stores, so she could still get the foods she loves.
> She is interested in the McKinney area, and that's fine with me.
> I'd be able to see NHL games in Dallas, and there is plenty of recreational mens hockey and golf courses in the area.

So, I'm hoping to get insight into the McKinney/Greater Dallas area now.

Thanks
Lived in University Park for some of my childhood (and Tyler for a year). I have family in Plano, and have flown in and out of McKinney a few times. I love the area, and McKinney is a great airport because the runway is long, the area is flat (as is much of this area), and the traffic is low. In Dallas area GA gets more complicated, but ok if you're used to that sort of airsapce.

UPDATE: Just booked a week in McKinney TX to recon the area and test out the humidity on the wife. I can't believe I paid so little for 2 round trip tickets. We're going to scout out every city in the general Dallas/Ft Worth area!

I can see CA in my rear view mirror now.

UPDATE: Just booked a week in McKinney TX to recon the area and test out the humidity on the wife. I can't believe I paid so little for 2 round trip tickets. We're going to scout out every city in the general Dallas/Ft Worth area!

1ce6066099c5b44c3a3e1891ea080469.jpg

:)

No, Nate, he's coming to northern Texas, not rural Colorado... :)

You shore got a purty mouth. ;)

Heck boy, you know we treat our visitors right, and no need to get too rural, DIA is far enough.

That's what the secret illuminati tunnels are for.

Plus, we all know the nightmare is really in Austin...even the Texans know this. :)

Anyway, if you go ever go *anywhere* and hear banjos playing... and don't see Steve Martin nearby... Master Caution illuminated.

I've ridden my motorcycle extensively in the NE GA area, beautiful country and great roads. But if I see a banjo, I ride FASTER!

Wife and I are looking to move out of CA to escape both its state income tax and its general insanity. We're seriously looking at Texas with an eye on the greater Austin area. (We want to buy an acre or two outside of the city and build.)

Anyone know if the state is GA friendly? It doesn't look like they charge property tax on personal aircraft.

Also, any recommendations on best areas for climate and humidity in Texas would be appreciated.
Welcome to Texas!!! Just remember it is the middle of August, the hottest month of the year.

Congratulations on your decision! You will like the very active flying environment of North Texas. We have a 12 month flying season, similar to California. Although, the summer months slow my activity down quite a bit.

You will be getting a full measure of the heat and humidity Texas has to offer by visiting in August.

If you get around to a bit of house hunting, be sure to pay particular attention to the age and insulation of the houses you look at. We use freon based air conditioners around here because of the humidity, and if you don't have excellent insulation you will spend a great deal on electricity in the summer months. My electric bill for a 1700 sq ft house built in the 1970's with not so great insulation was well over $300 per month. Folks with newer houses and good insulation probably spend 1/3rd as much. I'll not be purchasing any more old houses!

My electric bill for a 1700 sq ft house built in the 1970's with not so great insulation was well over $300 per month.
Oh please. I lived just a few miles south of OP and my bill was $450/month for a 1800 sq ft house built in 1986. Stockton hits 110F in the summer at times and the electricity in California is way more expensive.

2500 sq/ft, summer bill averages $500-$600 per month. Oh, and it's tiered, so the more you use, the more the charge you per unit.

We had a neighboring water district that had mandatory water rationing during the drought. Then, when the drought was over, they raised the rates to make up for lost revenue during mandatory water rationing, because they didn't have the funds to maintain the infrastructure.

That's California for you. Always finding a way to f'up in reverse.

Oh, I forgot to complain about electric bills. I must be numb to them now.

Go to Las Vegas man. Good weather, low housing prices, low property taxes, electricity is almost free (they got that damn dam), entertainment, every airline serves it. What could be better.
<--- reminder to that guy... move back to Vegas?

2500 sq/ft, summer bill averages $500-$600 per month. Oh, and it's tiered, so the more you use, the more the charge you per unit.

Had been thinking about this.

I don't recall having silly electric bills when I lived in SoCal, but I moved away in 1990, too. Do recall being gouged on natural gas when we had a really cold snap, progressive rates with no allowance made for unusual wx.

So I read that California mandates these tiered rates; what are the rates looking like there these days?

For reference, in Texas, we can shop different providers to save money for electricity; I am currently paying $0.067/kwh (6.7 cents). How does that compare?

My gas and electric bill at the California condo is in the $20-25 range per month. It's 1300 sq ft, but I never use heat and there is no A/C (not needed). Not sure how everyone else is getting such huge bills, even if the have a house.

Lot's of replies, thanks. To meet the requests for further clarification, more details below:

I want out of CA because of the state income tax, and all the property taxes on aircraft, boats, etc... (I have to pay $1200/yr to the county plus $800/yr to the state for my plane!) I don't mind paying taxes, but CA spends money like drunken idiots on stuff I don't agree with. I'm also tired of all the liberals (mostly young people) who want everything to be free and for it to be paid for by those of us who work for our money. CA is a beautiful state, but it's politicians are out of control. Next up...single payer health care. (Don't get me started.) Overall, I'd call us social liberals with a closet conservative slant, but definitely fiscally conservative.

We currently live in Stockton CA, and the weather here is acceptable to my wife. She is not a big fan of the 100+ summer days, but it's not very humid here. (She cannot tolerate high humidity at all.) She was born and raised in the Ukraine, and would like someplace with more pronounced seasonal changes, although she is afraid of having to drive in the snow. While I easily adapt to anyplace/anyone/anything, my wife is far less adaptable. She is a challenge, in the sense that she wants green, but doesn't want snow and rain. (Uh, not sure how that works.) She wants to be someplace that is more centrally located in regards to the US, so that we can reach travel destinations more easily by small plane.

We are looking to buy a few acres outside of a city that is big enough to have all the basic shopping needed, but small enough that traffic is not an issue. (Probably under 300k pop.) We'd also like to be within an hour or two drive of a major city, for those times when we want what big cities offer. Our goal is to build a 3600 sq/ft custom home (that we designed) and create a sort of "stay-cation" paradise. We're not terribly social people (my wife almost anti-social). We pretty much just want to live our lives in peace and quiet. My wife wants to work (she works part-time as a bookkeeper and enjoys that), not because we need the money but because she feels better working. (It's a mental thing.) I am self-employed and work from home, and all I need is a small office with a good internet connection. Budget isn't really the issue, although I'd like to keep things as reasonable as we can. I'm not as much concerned with the cost of land acquisition/construction as I am with ongoing operational costs, as although business is booming for me, you just never know.

I'd like for an airport and golf course to be nearby, and I'd love if there was an ice rink with adult recreational hockey within an hour's drive. (But the later is not a deal breaker, as I don't see myself continuing playing hockey for more than a decade at this point.)

Oh, and my wife is natural disaster adverse. See my problems?

Check out the Nashville, TN area. It pretty much fits everything you're looking for.
  • No state income tax
  • Quite GA friendly
  • There's a half dozen or so GA airports within an hour of Nashville
  • It gets hot, it gets cold, but it's rarely extreme.
  • Housing is reasonable, especially the farther from the hoity-toity areas you go.
  • There's adult league hockey and an NHL team. And an NFL team if you can make yourself like the Titans.
  • Most folks are pretty friendly. I'm from "Redneckville", Arkansas, and the southern charm isn't lost here yet.
  • Lots of amenities locally: Lakes and rivers, good hospitals, several universities, more shopping centers than you can shake a stick at
  • Somewhat centrally located, to the eastern half of the US anyway

We considered TN, but they tax dividends which would screw up my federal tax cutting strategy

For reference, in Texas, we can shop different providers to save money for electricity; I am currently paying $0.067/kwh (6.7 cents). How does that compare?

.095 cents in my part of rural New Mexico. But with 437 (or close to it) days of sunshine yearly solar power is coming to my home soon.

Elec. has gotten a lot better here since they deregulated it. (www.powertochoose.org) but it also depends on the house.

My avg. bill for 3200SqFt is $150. Its a 1 story though. Highest I have seen is $330 and in the winter it drops below $100.
My prior home was 2200SqFt and the average bill was $500 topping out at $800. Not well built 2 story w/ soaring ceilings.

no A/C (not needed)

I was in Benicia with no A/C, not needed, except about 2 weeks a year! And when it was needed, it was REALLY needed and my Ex and the dogs would go stay at the Best Western.

Hopefully Richmond has an even shorter hot spell since it's on the bay instead of up the river 10 miles.

I was in Benicia with no A/C, not needed, except about 2 weeks a year! And when it was needed, it was REALLY needed and my Ex and the dogs would go stay at the Best Western.

Hopefully Richmond has an even shorter hot spell since it's on the bay instead of up the river 10 miles.
In Colorado, it would have been nice to have A/C for the month of July, otherwise it was not needed.

When I wrote that I lived in the outer Richmond, I believe you mistakenly thought I meant the city of Richmond, CA. The outer Richmond is a neighborhood in San Francisco, close to the ocean, where you definitely don't need A/C. Karl the fog provides sufficient cooling. Right now it's 61F.

(Disclaimer ... I know absolutely nothing about this specific house, but I do live 8 mins from the airport, and keep my plane in the T hangars there)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/137-Constellation-Dr-Cresson-TX-76035/52842626_zpid

Probably in-line with Cali pricing. You get to live with your plane on a pretty cool little airport. You're 20 mins from almost anything you'd ever need (including Trader Joe's), and another 15 minutes from one of the best downtown areas in the entire country. Take the road the other direction 20-30 minutes and you are in some really neat small towns with a little hint of the hill country.

In Colorado, it would have been nice to have A/C for the month of July, otherwise it was not needed.

After you left this year all of August so far sat at 50% humidity and higher, which you know for is dry arid plainsfolk is insanity. So we ran ours the whole month so far.

Well, I set it to come on in the evening and bring the house back down from the 78 "away" mode to something reasonable and then told the system it could cool up to 3 more degrees to dehumidify down to 45% RH.

This year was the first year out of four here with the new furnace and A/C setup that I ever saw "Dehumidifying..." show up on the touchpad t-stat. I had to go get the manual and see what it was doing and where to set the RH%. Ha.

Electric bill on the co-op was $140 for that. Jul 16-Aug 15. Always the highest bill of the year.

For Spike:
0.123 / KWH. Double your rate.

But as @Everskyward knows (I think you were on the Co-op but maybe you were over the line into Xcel territory?) that includes a maintenance fee and members get a check back every January when maintenance costs are low. Usually about the price of the highest month of the year is how it works out for us. So it'll probably be about $140 because Aug will be the top. So it's about 10% back per year. So call it .11 / KWH most years. Some years they have a lot of system damage from storms and repairs eat up the rebate. Years right after a lot of maintenance the rebate is higher.

It has cooled off at night now again. A/C compressor hasn't run at night in a week. Still fairly humid but not like a couple of weeks ago.

And of course we're on propane for the furnace, hot water, and cooking, which is sitting at around $1.79/gal. Usually a little under 1000 gallons per year. Can put a huge dent in that with the pellet stove in bad propane price years at a cost lower than propane, but not the last two years. The stove sat idle other than nights we just wanted to be toasty by the fire in the basement.

Been thinking about buying my own 1000 gal tank so I can shop (the current one is leased and 500 gal) a little on price as there's plenty of competitors out here, and many do a deal on first tank full with a requirement to buy a second tank that works out nicely at 1000 gallons to about $1.50/gal or slightly less. (Really they'd fill to a little over 800. And 500 gallon tanks are filled to a bit over 400. Out guy comes quarterly and usually drops 250 in until end of summer when we "catch up" a bit.) But at a savings of only $250/year, the tank purchase is about a ten year payoff. Not sure I care that much. :)

After you left this year all of August so far sat at 50% humidity and higher, which you know for is dry arid plainsfolk is insanity. So we ran ours the whole month so far.

Well, I set it to come on in the evening and bring the house back down from the 78 "away" mode to something reasonable and then told the system it could cool up to 3 more degrees to dehumidify down to 45% RH.

This year was the first year out of four here with the new furnace and A/C setup that I ever saw "Dehumidifying..." show up on the touchpad t-stat. I had to go get the manual and see what it was doing and where to set the RH%. Ha.

Electric bill on the co-op was $140 for that. Jul 16-Aug 15. Always the highest bill of the year.

For Spike:
0.123 / KWH. Double your rate.

But as @Everskyward knows (I think you were on the Co-op but maybe you were over the line into Xcel territory?) that includes a maintenance fee and members get a check back every January when maintenance costs are low. Usually about the price of the highest month of the year is how it works out for us. So it'll probably be about $140 because Aug will be the top. So it's about 10% back per year. So call it .11 / KWH most years. Some years they have a lot of system damage from storms and repairs eat up the rebate. Years right after a lot of maintenance the rebate is higher.

It has cooled off at night now again. A/C compressor hasn't run at night in a week. Still fairly humid but not like a couple of weeks ago.

And of course we're on propane for the furnace, hot water, and cooking, which is sitting at around $1.79/gal. Usually a little under 1000 gallons per year. Can put a huge dent in that with the pellet stove in bad propane price years at a cost lower than propane, but not the last two years. The stove sat idle other than nights we just wanted to be toasty by the fire in the basement.

Been thinking about buying my own 1000 gal tank so I can shop (the current one is leased and 500 gal) a little on price as there's plenty of competitors out here, and many do a deal on first tank full with a requirement to buy a second tank that works out nicely at 1000 gallons to about $1.50/gal or slightly less. (Really they'd fill to a little over 800. And 500 gallon tanks are filled to a bit over 400. Out guy comes quarterly and usually drops 250 in until end of summer when we "catch up" a bit.) But at a savings of only $250/year, the tank purchase is about a ten year payoff. Not sure I care that much. :)
I got electricity through the co-op. My bill was in the $40 range per month winter and summer. But, like I said, I didn't have A/C. My natural gas bill was in the teens in the summer but went up to over $100 in the winter. However, since natural gas prices have been lower the past few years, my winter bill peaked at $70 or $80.

Right there in your own hometown of Houston there's a number of neighborhoods north of the city up around The Woodlands and on over to Spring, that have $500-$750K properties on standard suburban sized lots, aren't there?

$1M isn't going to buy much land unless you're rural in Texas.

I'm 31 miles from my downtown job, on 5 acres, for 300k. 20k an acre is going rate in the outer reaches... You can get 5k an acre if you want to be 100 miles out.

In N McKinney, there are 1 acre lots within gated communities going for $80k. Beats the $300k I'd pay here in central CA.

In N McKinney, there are 1 acre lots within gated communities going for $80k. Beats the $300k I'd pay here in central CA.
Before final selection of a particular property... don't forget to investigate the HOA that govern's the space. Some are okay, but many are a downright major PITA to deal with. You don't want to find a nice home with what appears to be a good neighborhood/schools only to find out that the HOA is nightmare of small mind politics.

I paid 300 this month for power near Houston... 2500 sq ft... 72-74 degrees inside, peak of 90-100 degrees outside, and with a pool pump that runs 4 hours a day.

Biggest factors in my experiene, over multiple houses and multiple years - Age of the AC equipment, quality of the insulation of the house..

Back