life hacks

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Feel free to add to this list.

1. a diaper (preferably unused) can be used to mop up surplus bacon grease prior to disposal
2. chopsticks can be used to arrange cooked bacon into a rectilinear grid for proper bacon feng shui

Find something simple that works and stick to it.

"Having an aardvark for a pet can really warm the cockles of your heart.
If your cockles get too warm, rub them in dry ice." - H. Allen Smith

1. Complain directly to elected officials - skip the bureaucracy, get it on a pol's desk, or on TV, radio, or in a newspaper.
2. Don't say anything without your lawyer present. If they ask if you understand your rights, answer "no". Then shut-up.
3. If traffic is passing you on the right, move to the right, until it isn't.
4. More driving - nothing you do should make someone else change what they are doing.
5. Loyalty to an employer is like falling in love with a hooker.
6. Job security lies in being able to find another job.
7. Most cops/officials/priests/lawyers are honest; but you won't know which, so assume the worst.
8. Negotiate a lower interest rate on your credit card.
9. Don't take off on the leading edge of a cold front

8. Negotiate a lower interest rate on your credit card.

Or pay it off monthly and don't be one of those who lies about it.

Or cut it up if you have zero self-control. Make a nice sculpture out of the pieces and put it on your dining room table.

"If your cockles get too warm, rub them in dry ice." - H. Allen Smith

I'd like to sing a song about the American Dream. About me. About you. About that special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts. Maybe below the cockles. Maybe in the sub-cockle area. Maybe in the liver. Maybe in the kidneys. Maybe even in the colon. We don't know.

Overdrive148,
and his non-biodegradable styrofoam containers

Confucius say man who fart in church must stay in own pew

Welllll what can I say. 'They' just don't appreciate my humor and hide me for awhile.

Well there have been things posted in your absence that make your posts seem practically benign. Plus 'they' don't have our refined sense of humor.

Who are they again? :dunno::ihih:

Letting the spider webs accumulate on your house all year long so you don't have to fake it for Halloween.

No such thing as 'surplus bacon grease'

No kidding. That stuff gets put in the fridge in a container for cooking other things.

Even the doggies get an occasional drizzle on their kibble when there's been bacon cooking in our kitchen in the recent past.

Must admit though, best way to cook bacon is in the oven. Cast iron skillet is a close second place.

Must admit though, best way to cook bacon is in the oven.

A gas grill (like a Weber) works better. You have more control.

Also - nobody will ever give you a hard time standing next to a Weber with a beer in your hand - no matter what time of the day!

No kidding. That stuff gets put in the fridge in a container for cooking other things.

Even the doggies get an occasional drizzle on their kibble when there's been bacon cooking in our kitchen in the recent past.

Must admit though, best way to cook bacon is in the oven. Cast iron skillet is a close second place.

You can put a cast iron skillet in the oven and have the best of both worlds. You can put a cast iron anything in the oven. I bake bread in one of mine.
Best bathroom cleaner ever: one part white vinegar, one part dishwashing liquid. Apply with a green scrubby pad. It'll clean anything.

Make your 20 year old hair brush as a good as new by running it through the dishwasher.

Of course, it ruins the dishwasher but at least you won't have to buy a new hairbrush.

Speaking of dishwasher, I've heard that computer keyboards can be cleaned by running them thru the dishwasher. I've never tried...

A little dab of Vaseline before screwing. Ok, punchline's outta the way. Found this one just yesterday when installing a shower in a bathroom remodel I'm doing. There was some screws that were damn near impossible to get started. I'm getting frustrated, like mumbling about getting a sledge hammer and turning the whole thing into bite size pieces for the recycle bin frustrated. My wife breaks out her trusty iPhone and checks with the Google Gods to try and save her new shower. A little dab of Vaseline, or generic petroleum jelly for you cheapos, on the screwee(screw) or screwor(tip of screw driver) does the trick.

Rubbing the screw on a bar of soap often works well.

My grandfather was a carpenter starting in the 1910's. (This is before power screw guns. Just FYI.) He drilled a hole in the bottom of this hammer handle and filled it with octagon soap. He'd slide a crew into it then screw it in. Worked great and he always had it with him.

It will help with tough screws even when using a power screw gun.

You can put a cast iron skillet in the oven and have the best of both worlds. You can put a cast iron anything in the oven. I bake bread in one of mine.
Best bathroom cleaner ever: one part white vinegar, one part dishwashing liquid. Apply with a green scrubby pad. It'll clean anything.

I know you’re not a meat guy but cast iron in a blazing oven is a great way to do a ribeye.

Speaking of dishwasher, I've heard that computer keyboards can be cleaned by running them thru the dishwasher. I've never tried...

There are some that can, and some that can’t. It’s a nice feature if your old non-washable keyboard grosses you out. Many tout it as a feature now.

After stuff I’ve seen in both keyboards and desktop computers working in IT over the years, if I wasn’t so enamored with my Kensington keyboards, I’d go dishwasher-safe on the replacements.

I hook the same keyboard model to every machine I have to use regularly. And same mouse.

Don’t be a Millennial and make up cute little phrases to pretend you came up with something creative that the rest of humanity has been doing for eons. You’re welcome.

Don’t be a Millennial and make up cute little phrases to pretend you came up with something creative that the rest of humanity has been doing for eons. You’re welcome.
Eschew aphorism.

Back