New Member Introduction

Chris Fischer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Charlie Romeo Foxtrot
Greetings everyone!

Hopefully this is an appropriate place to make an introduction. I've been lurking on this forum for just a few weeks and figured I may as jump all the way into the pool. :D

I'm originally from the PNW - Seatlle area but moved to the north DFW area about a year ago and so far I'm enjoying it! IANAP (yet), but I have enrolled myself in the ASA online ground school. I was liking it until I got to the "Regulations" section! I may have found the cure to insomnia there - God bless the FAA/FAR/AIM. lol

I guess I'm pretty late to the "so you want to be a pilot" game at 50 :confused:, but I've heard that it's never too late to be a pilot...I'm thinking 96 might be a touch too late though. ;)

My motivation is probably different than most - my goal/mission is to be able to do Angel Flights in the south central region - Angel Flights South Central - as often as time and funds allow. Yes...it's an expensive way to give back, but it speaks to me and I feel it's worth the time effort to give it a go.

I'm leaning towards flight instruction at KTKI in McKinney, TX at the Texins Flying Club - it's closest to my location and I haven't found any negatives so far. I just need to do my discovery flight then choose a CFI - there's so many promising ones to choose from though! I guess that's a good thing.

I look forward to getting to know you folks on this forum! :)

Thanks!

--Chris

Welcome to the forum. One of my mission is the same as your, other than boring holes in the sky.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. There is plenty of knowlege and entertainment to be found here. Lots of good folks to help you a long the way too!

Welcome!

A few orientation suggestions:

1. You are correct! It's never too late to become a pilot, except when the FAA says its too late. And maybe not even then.;)
2. Don't make the mistake of asking in a PoA post what kind of plane you should buy. Just buy a Bonanza and post some pictures after you get it home. Effusive praise and admiration will be expressed.:cool:
3. If a Bonanza is too slow, buy a Mooney, and follow the same steps above. The response will be almost as good as 2. :)
4. If the family says no to the Bo or the Mo, go ahead and buy the Cirrus, but fergawdsake keep quiet about it.
5. Unlike global warming, when it comes to "The Most Superior Aviation Headset", the science is definitely NOT settled. :confused:
6. Same applies to the best tablet for the cockpit, and the best app to run on it.:rolleyes:
7. PoA is an all inclusive forum. Those of us who fly twins never feel left out and lonely because of the recurrency training from select single engine cousins about our chronically endangered Vmc lifestyles. :eek:
8. Whiskey and bacon trumps beer & bratwurst, except in Wisconsin at Oshkosh.

Welcome Chris... There's a good group of folks here with the usually personalities...:yes: I got into flying Angel Flights to stop boring holds in the sky. They come with emotional highs and lows but the rewards are priceless... Good luck with your training and remember we're here for support if needed...:heli:

Welcome!

1. You are correct! It's never too late to become a pilot, except when the FAA says its too late. And maybe not even then.;)
2. Don't make the mistake of asking in a PoA post what kind of plane you should buy. Just buy a Bonanza and post some pictures after you get it home. Effusive praise and admiration will be expressed.:cool:
3. If a Bonanza is too slow, buy a Mooney, and follow the same steps above. The response will be almost as good as 2. :)
4. If the family says no to the Bo or the Mo, go ahead and buy the Cirrus, but fergawdsake keep quiet about it.
5. Unlike global warming, when it comes to "The Most Superior Aviation Headset", the science is definitely NOT settled. :confused:
6. Same applies to the best tablet for the cockpit, and the best app to run on it.:rolleyes:
7. PoA is an all inclusive forum. Those of us who fly twins never feel left out and lonely because of the recurrency training from select single engine cousins about our chronically endangered Vmc lifestyles. :eek:

Thank you for your orientation suggestions! Always appreciated.

1. It's nice to know that cracks in the wall of FAA absolutism can occasionally be found. hehe
2. Hmm...praise and admiration sounds good! lol
3. Bonanza > Mooney if speed is not an issue check....no love for the highwings like Cessna?
4. Roger that on the Cirrus...the SR22T has much drool factor...sadly I've never won the Powerball. Somebody once told me it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission...so there's that.
5. Bose. Now it's settled. :);):cool: (Only kidding...I have nothing to compare headsets by, but I've heard Bose ranks up there for noise cancellation, however I don't see me dropping one large on A20's anytime soon).
6. I tend towards Samsung tablets, but not opposed to iPads...except their higher price. However, if the necessary apps are only available on an iPad...I'd have to consider biting the bullet.
7. Get your IFR rating, problem solved. ;-)
8. Must it be either/or? :D Oshkosh...one day I hope to land on the green circle. That must be something!

Welcome Chris... There's a good group of folks here with the usually personalities...:yes: I got into flying Angel Flights to stop boring holds in the sky. They come with emotional highs and lows but the rewards are priceless... Good luck with your training and remember we're here for support if needed...:heli:
Thanks, yes I've noticed the colorful personalities on this forum. Reminds me Seinfeld if you ever watched that from the 90's. lol I think I'll like it here. :)

@Chris Fischer - I started my initial training with Dick Stephens while he was with "the other club at TKI" Great guy... got me soloed in a reasonable time. He's the instructor with the Golf story (RTOT). Would have gone the distance with him except I moved to CA for a while.

I once told him I hated driving. He's like, "Why are you here?" I'm like, "This ain't driving"

Welcome Chris. I did my (second round) of PPL training out of TKI at Monarch. More pricey than the flying club, but I got there. Give me a holler sometime. Im based out of DTO now. I'll show you the 'other' answer than Bonanza or Mooney...!

Buy an AOA. If you don't know where, I'll point you in the right direction. It will save your life.

And please don't mess with a perfectly good donut

Welcome Chris. I did my (second round) of PPL training out of TKI at Monarch. More pricey than the flying club, but I got there. Give me a holler sometime. Im based out of DTO now. I'll show you the 'other' answer than Bonanza or Mooney...!

Would love to see that "other" answer sometime. It would be nice to compare a six seater - thanks! DTO isn't too far.

hqdefault.jpg

Welcome!

Hey I started my PPL at 51. Not finished yet but getting close (and still 51).

We are using the latest Android Tablet + Garmin Pilot. Tried Both Foreflight and Pilot, just ended up liking Pilot a bit more.

Buy the Skylane. You might get there 7 minutes later and need 4 more gallons but it climbs like a mofo and you'll be hard pressed to bust W&B...and I am biased :)

Welcome!

Hey I started my PPL at 51. Not finished yet but getting close (and still 51).

We are using the latest Android Tablet + Garmin Pilot. Tried Both Foreflight and Pilot, just ended up liking Pilot a bit more.

Buy the Skylane. You might get there 7 minutes later and need 4 more gallons but it climbs like a mofo and you'll be hard pressed to bust W&B...and I am biased :)

Thanks! That's awesome you are so close to getting your PPL - hope that happens soon for you. I'll give Garmin Pilot a look.

The Skylane would be a nice plane to own and it would (I believe) fit my mission profile very nicely. My biggest concern would be it's higher GPH fuel burn rate ($$$), but I like the speed and W&B of the 182! It would definitely be a contender.

I should have done an intro when I got in POA because these tops 8 ideas would have served me well. I can't believe how much time I would have saved with 2 - 6 if I would have had this list!

StevieD

Welcome!

I hadn't heard of these yet, but looks like a great safety instrument to have - thanks.
It is and I have one and my CFI don't like it when I can "see" the lift and often turns it off

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It is and I have one and my CFI don't like it when I can "see" the lift and often turns it off

Hmmm...he may have a point (at least in his mind). A lot of times, advances in and use of technology do indeed make our lives safer and simpler. Which you can easily argue is a good thing as general rule. However, over reliance on technology isn't always such a good thing, because technology can fail and at the worst possible moment. Having an AOA falls into this category...yes having one may well save your life one day or at the very least alert you to a potential danger ahead of time, but you may not always have an AOA and/or the one you have may crap out on you during flight - and if you don't know how to "feel" or recognize the effects of angle of attack on your aircraft and also recognize the potential consequences of those effects, your life will still be in jeopardy. By turning the AOA off, I think your CFI is teaching you the underlying basics so you can learn to recognize or feel a potentially unsafe condition vs seeing it on screen. It trains your brain to wave a red flag so to speak when things don't "feel" right. This will also likely save your life one day. You won't develop that gut feeling as a student if you're always relying on the AOA to tell you what to do.

It would kind of be like always using the autopilot to keep a heading, instead of learning to use the yoke and rudder pedals with the compass and other relevant panel instruments.

That's my theory anyways. :)

Last edited:
Welcome Chris.

I will warn you, there are a lot of Yahoos on this site.
If you want real solid information, you can just PM me and get real no kidding straight forward answers.

Video at 6:00

Go for it my dad id 88 still flys in right seat until he gets tired

Welcome Chris.

I will warn you, there are a lot of Yahoos on this site.
If you want real solid information, you can just PM me and get real no kidding straight forward answers.
Just send him your videos. That should cover anything.

Back