IR training - PIC vs IFR6 vs et al?

wrbix

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot Lite
Just started IR training w independent CFII. So far unimpressed - had me trying Holds in airplane on Day2. Although I did really well on Knowledge and understand Holds, feel this is not optimal.
Think I will fulfill my initial 10hrs then switch to an accelerated program that uses Simulator.
Welcome input here for opinions of IFR6 in Charleston and PIC.
Thanks in advance.

Seems the accelerated training programs want an initial 10hrs of IR completed prior to matriculation w them.

PIC did wonders for me. They have their program down pat. May not be the cheapest option once it is all said and done with travel costs, but would highly recommend them and I refer folks all the time their direction.

Please expound on/describe their Simulator and how it's used - PIC, that is. Thanks.

What about your lessons so far do you think is not optimal? We all learn differently and I wasn't there, but I think holds teach a lot of the basics of attitude instrument flying and tracking courses all with a minimum of wasted time. You also get a lot of nearly instant feedback for your mistakes. Plus if you file IFR, you get a track on flight aware to help debrief.

I had two CFII's through the course of getting my IR. They both used holds quite effectively in the early lessons and in the "getting back on the horse" lessons. There are plenty of possible reasons to switch CFII's, but I am doubtful this is enough of one on its own.

What about your lessons so far do you think is not optimal? We all learn differently and I wasn't there, but I think holds teach a lot of the basics of attitude instrument flying and tracking courses all with a minimum of wasted time. You also get a lot of nearly instant feedback for your mistakes. Plus if you file IFR, you get a track on flight aware to help debrief.

I had two CFII's through the course of getting my IR. They both used holds quite effectively in the early lessons and in the "getting back on the horse" lessons. There are plenty of possible reasons to switch CFII's, but I am doubtful this is enough of one on its own.
In the air, with no pre-planning, got two holds in within an hour of flying. I think for my learning style, getting some discussion/practice/repetition in a Sim might be time better spent.

Seems the accelerated training programs want an initial 10hrs of IR completed prior to matriculation w them.
"Never use a simple word when a $2 word can be misused"
- Hank Stram

Most of the accelerated places want you to have all your time requirements plus your written done as a prerequisite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Never use a simple word when a $2 word can be misused"
- Hank Stram
Seems Merriam-Webster would disagree w you:
  1. transitive verb
  2. : to enroll as a member of a body and especially of a college or university.
But thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

Note:"especially of", not exclusively of.
Jeesh - got any helpful input to inquiry?

Note:"especially of", not exclusively of.
Jeesh - got any helpful input to inquiry?
Yes I do, never misuse a $2 dollar word and don't try to spin a word's meaning to suit yourself. Instrument training is a practical matter not an academic pursuit.

Ignored.
I'm quite aware of what training and academics are.
Anyone else want to reply to my original inquiry?

Just started IR training w independent CFII. So far unimpressed - had me trying Holds in airplane on Day2. Although I did really well on Knowledge and understand Holds, feel this is not optimal.
Think I will fulfill my initial 10hrs then switch to an accelerated program that uses Simulator.
Thanks in advance.

Any decent syllabus will have you spending the first few hours on learning to control the airplane by instrument reference: no radio, no navigation, just boring climbs, descents, and turns. If your instructor does not use a syllabus the solution might be a different instructor.

Bob

My experience with PIC was very positive. Started with about 5 to 6 hours of simulated IMC (foggles).

Did the training with Ron Levy as the instructor, stayed at @Jay Honeck's hotel. And got to to experience the wonders of flying around Corpus Christi and the South Texas coast line.

No matter which accelerated program you choose, do be ready for drinking from the firehose. Obtaining the rating in 10-12 days is very possible, but it is a lot of information and skill to take in on a very short time.

blogger-image--1877737538.jpg

Just find someone who's a good fit with you, and hopefully someone that's not hesitant to train in actual conditions.

Thanks in advance.

How many total hours do you have, how many hours have you flown in the last six months, what is your age?

Any decent syllabus will have you spending the first few hours on learning to control the airplane by instrument reference: no radio, no navigation, just boring climbs, descents, and turns. If your instructor does not use a syllabus the solution might be a different instructor.

Bob

Yep.

If you have a computer, no rule says you can't learn the procedure from your CFII and practice entries and such with a sim on your own. If it's a matter of sharpening your control of the airplane by reference to instruments, basic attitude flying, that's best done in the left seat.

Back