BatteryMinder to run avoinics on ground?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
i am putting in a BatteryMinder. any pitfalls of getting used to my panel mount avionics while on ground? there is a Piper External Power in my plane but i am not sure if it provides a direct power to the bus or trickle charges the battery while the Alternator is off (highly doubtful).

so, what i am trying to figure out is if BatteryMinder will be good enough to keep the battery from draining while i try to learn Garmin buttonology?

The external power receptacle does not connect to the battery unless the master is on. At least that is how my Piper is set up.

The battery minder on high setting should power a 430 just fine. Just turn everything else off. If you have a wall wart battery minder then the battery will slowly drain while running the 430. No biggy. Just don't push buttons for 8 hours.

My G3X Touch manual specifically states to connect a charger to the battery for programming and practice use. A Minder is a low output charger.

i am putting in a BatteryMinder. any pitfalls of getting used to my panel mount avionics while on ground? there is a Piper External Power in my plane but i am not sure if it provides a direct power to the bus or trickle charges the battery while the Alternator is off (highly doubtful).

so, what i am trying to figure out is if BatteryMinder will be good enough to keep the battery from draining while i try to learn Garmin buttonology?

Why wouldn't you just use the external power receptacle? I've got several friends with retrofit glass panels and they all did the same thing learning the new boxes on the ramp.

Why wouldn't you just use the external power receptacle? I've got several friends with retrofit glass panels and they all did the same thing learning the new boxes on the ramp.
Great point actually, I was thinking since the Battery minder already trickle charges (someone correct me if I am wrong) why bother running another wire...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just monitor bus voltage and if it drops to about 12.2 then shut down and let the battery charge.

External power hookup disconnects the electronics bus on some planes (182P for instance).

I would never suggest using a battery charger as a power supply, even with a "filter battery" attached to the circuit. Either get a purpose built power supply and use that or just put the battery charger on the battery when you are done dinking with the radios.

All the Cessnas I know of actually disable the avionics bus when external power is connected to that, at least they were wired from the factory that way.

Even if the Cessna didn't have a master avionics switch many of them came with a master avionics relay that would disable the avionics bus if the starter circuit was energized or external power was connected. If I remember correctly that master avionics relay was normally closed and it took power to open it, meaning during extremely high loads like engine cranking that relay could skip open & closed. Most shops recommend replacing that relay with a circuit/breaker switch giving you manual control of that circuit.

Last edited:
External power receptacle on what? The aircraft or is there one on the Garmin I don't know about?
If you are talking about the one on the aircraft, it might not be that simple. Powering up the receptacle on my Tampico energizes a relay that disconnects the battery. Then you are running the system off of a battery charger...not a good idea. What would work is connecting an external battery through my power receptacle and then putting a charger on the external battery. In my case I have fused leads directly connected to the battery and connect the battery charger through the dipstick door. (A&P/IA installed & signed off as a minor mod.)

Here is what you do:
Buy a Chevy Volt, used is ok.
Do a 12V to 12V cable (jumper cables if you will) or have it feed the ground power plug (APU plug).

The 10+ kWh traction battery will keep the 12V system on the car at 13.5-14ish volts for a day or two powering the car & the plane.

Here is what you do:
Buy a Chevy Volt, used is ok.
Do a 12V to 12V cable (jumper cables if you will) or have it feed the ground power plug (APU plug).

The 10+ kWh traction battery will keep the 12V system on the car at 13.5-14ish volts for a day or two powering the car & the plane.
Dude... a GPU will be cheaper

I use one. One time I left it connected, turned on the master and maybe loered the nose gear, not sure but it blew the fuse inline on the charger. Now I disconnect before operating anything. Just my experience...

Yah I can drive it probably 4 months in a year...may be 5

Where do you live? Mine spent its first 3 years in Minnesota and got 15k miles a year. Pretty sure it was their daily driver. 117 mpg lifetime avg. 47k miles. 400 or so gallons of gas used lifetime. All the rest electric.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 8
Where do you live? Mine spent its first 3 years in Minnesota and got 15k miles a year. Pretty sure it was their daily driver. 117 mpg lifetime avg. 47k miles. 400 or so gallons of gas used lifetime. All the rest electric.

very close, Fargo, ND but I hate to skid around in a sedan

I hate not having a hangar...
Used the 365Vdc battery to make 12Vdc to make 120Vac to make 24Vdc to charge the plane's battery.

Attachments

• IMG_3632.JPG
    IMG_3632.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3630.JPG
    IMG_3630.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3631.JPG
    IMG_3631.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 21
Back