[RANT] [N\A] Comcast...

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
So I'm going on three months without a PHYSICAL connection to my house!

I walked in all happy and cheerful back in May to get TV and Internet service at the house I inherited. They said sure give us money and we'll send someone over to hook you up.

Few days later a dude shows to hook myself back to their system. We both walked over to the box and found no cable? Come to find out AT&T, those bastards, had cut the cable and removed several feet of it to "disable" Comcast's box. Well the dude tells me he's only a "inside" installer he can't run cable. He'll put me on a list.

Two weeks later a "cable" installer shows up. He walks down the driveway to the road and doesn't find a power line drop. He finally finds a drop on my grandmother power pole and runs the cable to my house, which will be an issue later in the story. He goes in to test it but can't connect to the network. Confused he says it's a network issue and to call in later that night. He then excalms "Holy S***!, you have way to much signal it's at -50" He intelligently puts a filter to "bring" the signal to -70. I'm silently screaming but I say Thank You and kicked his useless ass out of my house.

Later that night I can't get the modem to connect to the network. Hmm, I wonder why.. I call Comcast back and tell them the cable installed is faulty.

Two weeks later, late JUNE, I find a gaggle of men standing around starring at my grandmother's power pole. I walked up, introduced myself, and reluctantly asked what was wrong. Well the cable was crushed from being laid over my aunt's driveway. Also Entergy had called and said to remove the ILLEGALLY installed cable from their power pole. They confiscated the cable, fired the last installer on the spot, and said I had to have Engineering install a underground cable which could be several months.

Now every two weeks I've have to call and ask for my bill to be removed. Every time it's a hassle as they ask the very reasonable question "Why don't you have service yet???.

I went back to the local office yesterday, mid AUGUST, and inquired why Engineering hasn't shown up yet to bury a cable. The manager went WTF and pulled up my account. He stared at it for about 10 minutes before he started laughing. I'm sitting their with a "I'm going to kill you face" which he finally noticed and apologized. He said he's never seen a account this f'd up.

Well folks!! I have another posse showing up today NOT TO INSTALL but to get a game plan on WTF to do.

F YOU COMCAST!!

So I'm going on three months without a PHYSICAL connection to my house!

F YOU COMCAST!!
I feel the same way about Cox out here. They have f'd my account so hard since i moved on 8 july. My bill has tripled, because some a$$clown didn't put the correct discount codes on my account.. I've called 4 times to straighten it out to no avail. If there was another option for > 25 mbit internet here, cox would get the boot.

I complained about Comcast until I moved to an area that was only serviced by Charter....

ALL of them suck ass because they have us by the short and curlies. We don't have choice for that last mile to the Internet. If Google put in nationwide fiber, we'd have a fighting chance

He said he's never seen a account this f'd up SINCE YESTERDAY.

FTFY

Must be nice to have a company with ****ty overpriced services where the only option is one of the other ****ty provider of the same overpriced service. And 1 or 2 year locked contracts to boot.

FTFY

Must be nice to have a company with ****ty overpriced services where the only option is one of the other ****ty provider of the same overpriced service. And 1 or 2 year locked contracts to boot.

It's worse where my family's land is located. We're the last on the their network. So every night during prime time we might start having signal issues. Plus we pay for their extra uprated high speed but only get maybe 3 down 1 up on a good day.

My aunt has business fiber but they won't let us access it because the local health insurance conglomerate has it locked down with Comcast.

I'm only 15 miles from downtown Cow Town (Ft Worth) but AT&T is the one trick pony in my neighborhood. (private roads, no water or sewer service, no GD streetlights)

So for the interwebs I'm stuck and for crappy televised entertainment it is the sky bandits.

My aunt has business fiber but they won't let us access it because the local health insurance conglomerate has it locked down with Comcast.

Close enough for LOS wireless? Might solve your innerwebs that way

I just got some Comcast fiber Internet service. Getting the cable to the house and routed correctly was like pulling teeth and it took a few weeks, but it got done. The speed is great though. My Internetz be like on fiya.

Close enough for LOS wireless? Might solve your innerwebs that way

Yeah the whole builtup side of the property is saturated with Wifi from some links my father installed. I'm currently "using" my grandmothers AT&T connection via an extender in my kitchen window. But with the set up it's only good for browsing.

I also have a microwave dish on my roof that was connected to the local TV stations internet networks.

Could you install a point to point wireless bridge between her router and your network? that would get you internet, and streaming from content providers

We have fixed wireless broadband that grabs its signal from a microwave network installed on a water tower in town a couple miles away. Pretty much line of sight, but works great. We had the same problems with cable nets as you, and we only have copper, so fiber from vz is a no go. The company is called Freedom Broadband.

Actually, we don't even have copper now. Disconnected the landline and do VOIP over the wireless net. Works great.

I tried a couple of wireless broadband companies at my semi-rural home in Colorado, as well as DSL. My house must have been in a poor location because the internet from the last broadband company was slow. I might have gotten 3 down 1 up at a good time, and sometimes nothing at peak times (late afternoon and evening). I tolerated it because I didn't want to sign a contract with another company as I figured I would move soon. Not only was it slow, it was expensive. I pay less for a fiber plus a phone line here in the big city. But I'm fortunate I live on a north-south street rather than an east-west street, because that's where they have installed fiber. It has something to do with the access to overhead wires.

Is it just you and me? I had previously thought it was just me, out of the 300 million, in the entire nation, who experienced Extreme Cluster Effs when it came to any type of utility/service/vendor/provider issue. Glad to share the ECEs.

They're all the same when it comes to to residential last mile (or drop). Once they get it right, it works -- but it take them years to do it if it's harder than dropping from a pole to the back of the house. And they'll screw that up at least three times getting that done.

On the flip side, I just renewed the office contract with Comcast for three years.

Two PRIs delivered at their Adtran so I don't have to deal with it (they're flawless amazingly), 100M symmetrical Internet, and 100M point to point metro Ethernet to our data center (until we finish migrating everything to AWS), including all the 800# L/D charges for a call center...

Runs about $1200/mo.

Delivered over a fiber loop that goes two directions but does only have a single building entrance/slight risk of outage there.

I think they figured out they sell one business fiber they make 12X more than residential in a single drop.

One lucky guy at the office has fiber to the house from them and pays a little over $100/mo for 1Gb/s service at home, symmetrical. Holy crap. Brand new houses in a new 'hood. Must be nice.

I used to have 70M symmetrical business class service at the old house from them. That didn't suck.

Comcast's outside plant people don't have their stuff together here either, but once connected, holy crap they can be fast, depending on the 'hood.

And anything beats LastCenturyLink.

Spend some time with Hughes and Comcast/Charter/CLink will seem like a dream come true.

Nauga,
and the pineapple wireless

Well that sucks! I feel your pain, however, mediaCON is no better. What really sucks is that where I live is a franchise area, so mediaCON only or I have to get a dish. What a scam.

Good luck.

Last edited:
ALL of them suck ass because they have us by the short and curlies. We don't have choice for that last mile to the Internet. If Google put in nationwide fiber, we'd have a fighting chance

You were doing fine till you got to GOOGLE. All ISP's suck but GOOGLE sucks worse. I avoid them as much as is possible.

I had bad run ins with Comcast and I wasn't even their customer. Our neighborhood was a recently constructed one. They actually ran conduits from the Comcast pedestals over to each house. I know this because it took them months to come actually install the pedestal (which is on my property). I had what I called the "noodle farm" where all the conduits emerged from the ground.

I never got Comcast because I Verizon offers FIOS (TV and data over fiber) and I liked that service. Anyway, my neighbor who operated a business out of his home gets Comcast business cable (mostly for his internet). The morons from Comcast lifted the cover from the pedestal and run the line over the ground to his house. Of course the pedestal won't close like this either. After several months I start calling Comcast, but obviously they won't deal with it since I'm not their customer. I point out that the customer will be annoyed when my landscaper runs the core aerator over the cable and punches holes in it or mows it up. I was tempted to cut the wire, but I liked my neighbor too much to screw him any more than Comcast was doing so already. I don't know if that cable ever did get put into the conduit (he probably was well advised to switch to FIOS).

Don't even get me started about Sprint/Embark/CenturyLink and their idiotic phone service.

That's insane. Where we are there is a new high speed company competing with the old wireless slow speed companies here. They'll come install a new service within a day or two. When my husband accidentally cut the cable digging for gophers, they were there the next day splicing it (no charge) and then put us on the schedule for next week to come bury a whole new "upgraded" line because they didn't like the first one they put down. It was working fine for me. 50 Mbps download. Can buy 100 if I want. I think it's that there is actual competition in this town right now. Service has been fantastic, best I've ever experienced from an ISP. I recognize it is an anomaly so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

My sister just left AR and she hated her Comcast.

Right, because Google loves you....

The posse showed up yesterday and stood there scratching their heads. They said it may take an act of God to get my house internet because of were the active drop is currently located.

It's on my grandmother's property and they want to run it underground. Well they can't go the short way because my power is underground to the same pole and they can't dig near it. The long way will either require Entergy installing a new pole to do an aerial or the line will be so long it will be useless. The line won't have enough power to allow a stable connection because we're the last customers on their network. My parents have that issue and the connection often becomes unstable during peak times.

I might end up doing a LOS system to my parents network. Comcast said they'll know something in a few weeks when they can get an engineer out to the house.

That's about the lamest thing I've heard. They dig power and cable/phone from the same pole all the time. The direct bury of the power wire has to be at least 24". Besides, even if they were at the same depth, you have the cables located, marked, and then you be VERY CAREFUL. Phone and cable rarely are that deep (I dug up a phone wire that Miss Utility failed to mark that was scantily 8" down).

I might end up doing a LOS system to my parents network. Comcast said they'll know something in a few weeks when they can get an engineer out to the house.

Engineer comes to house...

"Mark the path of the underground power. Dig real careful. Don't kill anybody. Separate the paths they only have to come close at the pole end. I'm going to go get lunch."

The magic of outside plant engineering.

Meanwhile it sounds like your parent's connection also sucks, but if it didn't, I'd already have installed that LOS system. A couple of Ubiquity Bullets, a couple PoE injectors, one hole in the wall, one Ethernet cable, no Internet bill (or split it with the folks), done. Seems like a no-brainer if you have LOS.

Back