ADS-B rebate frustrations!

GBSoren

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GBSoren
I feel like a circus animal jumping through the hoops, and just when you think you have it made....they pull the reward away again!

Made a request for a "rebate reservation code" before install, did it a couple weeks before scheduled install. Check, I have a code.

Install done and everything is working perfectly. I've had a couple flights but hadn't had time to do the required maneuvers in "rule" airspace until today. So today, climbed up to 10.5 and did 2 right 360's and 2 left. Then climbed 1000 feet, descended back to 10.5 and did it again for good measure, also made sure i stayed above 10 for over 30 min.

Got home and a couple hours later requested my performance report, got it back but no incentive code because no GAIRS report. After spending about an hour trying to figure out what I did wrong I just did a google search and discovered you must request the report through the ADS-B rebate page on the FAA website to get the GAIRS report and required incentive code. Try again....this time I get both reports and my incentive code, everyhting passed! :)

Thinking I'm golden I fill out the rebate request page, enter my N number and rebate reservation code, next page it says my plane isn't eligible for rebate! :mad: No date in the MFR column in my FAA reg! UGH! There is a date in the airworthy column but not MFR year column.

So close and yet so far!

So now I have until 10-2 to get a date in my FAA plane reg....not going to hold my breath!

Is all this worth the $500?

I had this same issue for my install earlier this year, with the missing manufacturing date. As frustrating as this whole process is, this was actually an easy fix. An email to the FAA registration branch explaining the issue resulted in a fix a few days later. It takes that long since the registry is updated once a week, I think on Tuesdays. I don't remember the email address to use, but I found it without too much difficulty. After you see the registration updated, go back and resubmit the report.
Don't give up. You are very close, and the benefits of ADS-B are wonderful.
Jon

Thanks for the encouragement! I did send an email to the registration dept through the FAA's "contact us" link, hopefully I'll get a response next week.

We had the exaxt same problem. We coordinated with an inspector at the FSDO who accepted a photo of the data plate and facilitated the records update.

Must be a common issue.

I had the same problem so I called rather than sending an email. The problem was resolved while I was on the phone. Now that's service! They had all the necessary information, but somehow the manufactured date was not entered into the electronic database.

Update. I'd used the "contact us" on the FAA's website requesting they update my registration with the MFR date. Received an email back on Monday saying they'd work on that but it'd take a couple of days before it would be updated in the system. Sure enough, Wednesday morning I checked and it had been corrected. Went through the process to claim my rebate and it's all done.

They got it updated quicker than I would have guessed, deserve props....good job FAA!

I made my ADS-B test flight this morning between 10:00 and 11:30 AM. The controllers at KSAV were not knowledgable of what was needed for the validation verification. I flew right over KSAV and requested permission to fly out to Tybee Island and circle Fort Pulaski prior to returning to my home base. I thought I might as well go ahead and make this a fun flight too. The flight out to Tybee took me back out of the Class "C" space but I went back over the "C" airspace on my return flight. I was on flight following with KSAV for almost 1.5 hrs. When I returned home I submitted my request for the ADS-B Performance Report and rebate incentive code. In less than an hour I received two e-mails, one with the report which showed that the ADS-B transmitter performed as expected and passed and one stating that I didn't remain within the "Rule Airspace" for 30 minutes. I figured as long as I was on flight following with the Class "C" ATC that it would count for the airspace time. It does not. Fortunately the e-mail stated that a program administrator would review my flight and make a determination if my flight would be accepted. I received another e-mail at 7:55 PM stating that my flight had been cleared and I could proceed with my rebate claim. I have processed the final form for the rebate.

I have posted this for two reasons. First is to let everyone know that you need to be IN the "Rule Airspace" for at least 30 minutes, not just on flight following in the area. Second to say that even though I had a little slip up with the timing, it was amazing how fast a program administrator reviewed my flight and approved it for the rebate submission. All in the same day!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
you need to be IN the "Rule Airspace" for at least 30 minutes, not just on flight following in the area.
Same deal when my Stratus ESGi (which I love) was installed last September. I flew the prescribed maneuvers in controlled airspace, but away from the busy airline terminal near my home field.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 7.08.15 PM.png

Performance check was ok, but not enough time in "Rule Airspace." So I went up again a couple of days later, and explained to PDX APC that I needed to stooge around for a while within the lateral limits of the Class C, but above the Charlie ceiling.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 7.08.32 PM.png

This time everything was ok. Apparently the FAA's computers even counted the time I was below the floor of Class C (which is technically not "Rule Airspace") departing and returning to KVUO.

Once all that was done, the paperwork was processed promptly and the check arrived about four weeks later.

Update to my update. After completing the rebate request I got an email back that afternoon that my rebate had been approved and expect the check in 4 to 6 weeks. :)

I had the installation in March and never bothered to applied for the rebate. I e-mail the FAA this morning and got a prompt response that I will still qualify. I was very impressed in the speed of the reply.

Back