What kind of marketing scam is this?

Ain't nuthin new about "fat wallet, thin logbook." Isn't that what Kennedy Jr. had? Or something even sportier like a Saratoga?
Kennedy had a 'toga I believe. He was far from being a student pilot though. Not saying he was smart or a good stick just that he had passed the PP cert ride.

^^^^ This. I would contact the owner, maybe this guy:

http://turboplus.com/contact_form.asp?CategoryViewed=Turboplus~Aircraft~Systems~Inc.

And alert him that his executive assistant is floundering around trying to find technical advice for a customer by emailing other customers. Maybe a better way to do that would be to send a survey to past customers asking for "feedback" on the product, if they really need to know how sold kits are performing, but personal messages mentioning names of other customers is kind of creepy.
They incorporated in WA less than a year ago. It looks like maybe the Kid might be running things. Same last name, dad, who started it died in 2001. He's the guy who did spoilers for light planes. The voices in my head say they are genuinely looking for feedback to help trouble shoot a problem

Kennedy had a 'toga I believe. He was far from being a student pilot though. Not saying he was smart or a good stick just that he had passed the PP cert ride.
Yeah. I don't know what his history flying was. Supposedly there was a CFI trying to talk him out of the trip. He probably bought it after getting PP

They incorporated in WA less than a year ago. It looks like maybe the Kid might be running things. Same last name, dad, who started it died in 2001. He's the guy who did spoilers for light planes. The voices in my head say they are genuinely looking for feedback to help trouble shoot a problem

Yep I think you nailed it.

They'll probably think I'm a jerk for telling them to talk to CFIs and certified powerplant guys. It might be a crap shoot on quality but talking to owners is going to be more of a crapshoot.

My niece dropped a new one on me yesterday. She and her boyfriend (yeah I know) are buying a house together and she said "in the letter I wrote the seller when we made the offer...". Wait, wait, WHAT letter? You are going through two real estate agents right? Since when do you write a personal letter to go with an offer on a house? She said, "Oh it's all the rage. The internet says you should write a nice letter introducing yourself and telling them something about yourself and telling them how much you like their house."

Visiting some friends in LA right now, that is apparently a thing in this market. The sellers have often several full price offers and it is common to beg for the house using pictures of your kids as bait. One of the most bizarre things I have ever heard of when it comes to real estate. All I ever cared about while selling a home was the bottom line price in the offer (after concessions), the proposed closing date and whether the buyer had a real mortgage company to back the offer.

Visiting some friends in LA right now, that is apparently a thing in this market. The sellers have often several full price offers and it is common to beg for the house using pictures of your kids as bait. One of the most bizarre things I have ever heard of when it comes to real estate. All I ever cared about while selling a home was the bottom line price in the offer (after concessions), the proposed closing date and whether the buyer had a real mortgage company to back the offer.

Exactly my reaction! Well in this case the seller was getting no offers, only 3 people had even looked at the property in 90 days. Nobody is competing for it so if that's why they do that my niece and her BF probably hurt rather than helped their cause.

Maybe that assistant is youngish and maybe the younger generations think everyone should talk to everyone else all the time because that's where social media and the internet seem to be leading humanity. No privacy, we are just one big communal brain like a beehive.

We see that in IT vendors now... since sales jobs are often handled by young-uns until you demand your usual discount plus more. LOL.

They tell us all about their weekends, their day, how their hair didn't work out right this morning...

It's kinda funny. I try not to grump at them and say IDGAF.

The other one is the pitch that they've "been using the product for years and think it will be a great fit for your company"...

I again, have to refrain from saying things like:

"Gosh, that's funny... I've been using that **** for twenty years, kid... and I avoid it like the plague except for ONE specific job it can do, and we don't need it for that, here. I don't want to tell you this, but nobody I know would buy that crap, either... that's why the company is always hiring new salespeople. But I do wish you well. Get out of there as soon as you can."

My niece dropped a new one on me yesterday. She and her boyfriend (yeah I know) are buying a house together and she said "in the letter I wrote the seller when we made the offer...". Wait, wait, WHAT letter? You are going through two real estate agents right? Since when do you write a personal letter to go with an offer on a house? She said, "Oh it's all the rage. The internet says you should write a nice letter introducing yourself and telling them something about yourself and telling them how much you like their house."

That's a new one on me. Unless I've been doing it wrong my whole life. Revealing personal information about yourself during real estate negotiations might be appropriate sometimes, like FSBO, but not when you go through agents. Telling the seller how perfect their house is and how much you want it and that you are a naive 24 year old just seems like a bad, bad idea. Sure enough the seller stood firm on the asking price and would not negotiate down one dollar.

I understand you can Facebook a seller these days but I thought buyers were normally still anonymous through the negotiations. Maybe the world is changing with Zillow and all.

Oh, if that crap works, I'm SOOOOOO creating a fake family online complete with multiple special-needs kids and a gofundme just to link to on the "letter" so they'll sell me my next house cheaper! LOL...

You think ANY of the sellers who fall for that crap VERIFY any of it?! :)

Same here. "Tell whoever has real money and their loan company isn't going to cause me a freaking multi-month headache, they win. If they have cash, even better. If they have cash and try to low-ball, make them come up to at least X." No kidding, I had that exact sentence in a conversation with my broker during our last house sale. He found the kids who's mom was a real-estate agent who KNEW the market was tough, and made SURE there were letters from the lender and everyone on the planet that their money was good to spend.

And... I don't think the whole "letter" thing had started yet, but one buyer DID demand that my broker be told they were ex-military, single-mom, all sorts of stuff... and made a high-ball offer that the broker said it was VERY unlikely to happen because of valuation by their lender... I get being "desperate" and needing a little help, but if you're high-balling with a number that can't be attained... you're done... bye. Not happening, and sorry about the life problems, but I'm not getting caught up in that person fighting with a lender for months...

Exactly my reaction! Well in this case the seller was getting no offers, only 3 people had even looked at the property in 90 days. Nobody is competing for it so if that's why they do that my niece and her BF probably hurt rather than helped their cause.

Man, definitely a bad idea. This is why we pay professionals to do this stuff... beat... head... here. My broker, once he had multiple offers, started the bidding war himself... I didn't mind. He knows the Denver market and has been doing that crap for at least as long as I've been in IT, if not 10 years longer. If he thinks a bidding war is a good idea, it probably is... and was... and he gets his cut and knows when it's gone too high, too... so his cut is at risk at both ends of the pricing range...

I can't believe the whole "letter" thing, though... but keeping it in the back of my head for making that fake family website if needed someday! ROFLMAO!

Maybe that assistant is youngish and maybe the younger generations think everyone should talk to everyone else all the time because that's where social media and the internet seem to be leading humanity. No privacy, we are just one big communal brain like a beehive.

That's a new one on me. Unless I've been doing it wrong my whole life. Revealing personal information about yourself during real estate negotiations might be appropriate sometimes, like FSBO, but not when you go through agents. Telling the seller how perfect their house is and how much you want it and that you are a naive 24 year old just seems like a bad, bad idea. Sure enough the seller stood firm on the asking price and would not negotiate down one dollar.

I understand you can Facebook a seller these days but I thought buyers were normally still anonymous through the negotiations. Maybe the world is changing with Zillow and all.
I got a letter from the young couple who made me an offer on my house. My agent told me it's a popular thing to do now, but I figured it's because it's a seller's market, at least where the house was. They made a full-price offer, and it ended up being the best one for me, especially since it was so quick.

They may be using the same spam-engine as Amazon which sends me questions from others for things I've purchased.

I usually keep my phone's GPS off and deny location information to apps. A few days ago I turned it on for something and forgot turn it off.

The next day I went to PetsMart to buy a dozen goldfish to feed our dangerous garter snake ( :D )

When I got home I had a text from Google, they wanted to know if I enjoyed shopping at PetsMart and was there anything I had missed or wasn't able to locate.

I deleted the text msg and shut off my location. It's just creepy they can follow you everywhere you go. :mad:

I usually keep my phone's GPS off and deny location information to apps. A few days ago I turned it on for something and forgot turn it off.

The next day I went to PetsMart to buy a dozen goldfish to feed our dangerous garter snake ( :D )

When I got home I had a text from Google, they wanted to know if I enjoyed shopping at PetsMart and was there anything I had missed or wasn't able to locate.

I deleted the text msg and shut off my location. It's just creepy they can follow you everywhere you go. :mad:

So we are driving along the interstate and get off for lunch. After lunch we are making our way on the service road prior to the on-ramp back to the interstate. I see solid red just up ahead on the service road on my Google Map App. I guess all of us use these apps to navigate these days, so you know that the solid red means stopped traffic, either red light, or an accident on the highway. Anyway, I know that there are no lights or stop signs on the service road, and there isn't much traffic so I'm wondering what's going on? A wreck up ahead? When we get there we see a stopped tractor trailer in the lane, not on the shoulder, but actually in the lane. So we just go around him.

I never before thought about how Google gets their info to show you real time traffic. But it suddenly hit me - they are taking data points from all our phones. In using the app to navigate it knows where you are and what speed you are going. So it is using all of our phones' speeds to show us all real time traffic conditions. Fine if it's an average of hundreds or dozens, but here was an example of ONE SINGLE phone causing the big red line on the road. I suddenly realized that Google maps was broadcasting to everyone the exact location and speed of that one guy. It even knew he was in the lane, not the shoulder. Of course there is no identifying information showing up on your display, but THERE COULD BE. In fact you can enable that for your friends.

So, Google is collecting the exact locations of all of us and manipulating the data to spit back in its navigation app. I'm doubting they trash the data. So there exists a record of all your movements. Not a stretch at all that they're selling it to third parties. Advertisers, the FBI, who knows? In fact, even if you turned the location service off and navigated with paper maps, I believe it's still tracking you because the terms say something about 911 emergencies, I think by law they have to keep it on for that? Then the only way not to be tracked is to turn off your phone. And maybe even remove the battery.

Yep, no privacy anymore. Unless you forgo all technology and live out in the wilderness.

On the other side...

A few years ago I read a story about a guy that was accused of beating and raping his ex-wife and burning her house and car. The police bought her story hook, line and sinker.

He was arrested and given an impossibly high bail. Because he was in jail he lost his job, his house, credit and his reputation was shot. The investigators told him he would never see daylight again.

Because of security cameras in public places, and his phone, it was determined that he was nowhere near the area of his ex-wife. It was found out that she and her boy friend concocted the entire episode just so she could stop her ex husbands joint custody of the kids.

If it wasn't for public cameras and his phone locator he would have been buried under the jail.

The investigator apologized in public for not following up and investigating his story, and actually worked to get the guy his reputation, job and credit back in order.

So, think being tracked is a really bad idea?

Don't let this happen to you..!!! (sorry, still remember the public service films we had to watch in grade school)

I want to be tracked at certain times. Most of the time I have the tracker turned off.

...Then the only way not to be tracked is to turn off your phone. And maybe even remove the battery....
I'm thinking that putting it in airplane mode ought to work. I guess one could find out by checking it with a spectrum analyzer. If it didn't work, then wrapping it in aluminum foil should do the job.

Last edited:
I had a vehicle failure today and called AAA. After the call, I punched up the AAA app to get real time updates. Since it wants to use the GPS, I turned it on. Later, I received a prompt from GUESS WHO, for a review,on the business we "visited".
Not the first time it has happened either.
I usually turn off GPS since the last thing I need is FB announcing I am 100 miles from home, and when.

I had a vehicle failure today and called AAA. After the call, I punched up the AAA app to get real time updates. Since it wants to use the GPS, I turned it on. Later, I received a prompt from GUESS WHO, for a review,on the business we "visited".
Not the first time it has happened either.
I usually turn off GPS since the last thing I need is FB announcing I am 100 miles from home, and when.

Good point.

The investigator apologized in public for not following up and investigating his story, and actually worked to get the guy his reputation, job and credit back in order.

Investigator should have been fired and found it difficult to get a job investigating anything more important than a lost wallet after that.

I'm thinking that putting in in airplane mode ought to work. I guess one could find out by checking it with a spectrum analyzer. If it didn't work, then wrapping it in aluminum foil should do the job.

If someone wants the data, the device will just store the data and upload it later.

Many companies operate support forums where customers discuss various issues and solutions, sometimes, but not always, these discussions are facilitated by skilled technical support personnel. This seems to be a very inefficient version of that.

Back