OMG... talk about increasing ATC workload during OSH

that's pretty aggravating to listen to.

Hahah I couldn't even listen to the whole thing

That tower controller was far too accommodating. That individual was a risk to everyone else going into Oshkosh. He should've been told to stay out.

yah he had no idea what he was doing and what the procedures are. at one point he asks ..18R..is that a taxiway?

There's one like this every few years...

One of those people who go thru life with car accidents happening, "luckily", right after he passes by the accident site...:rolleyes:

One thing about it, the controller is really good. Yeah the pilot had no business being there.

Oh my GAWD!!! This wins the innerneht!
Flew the arrival for first time this year, certainly not like that. Golly.

I couldn't make it past the first minute. He left the NOTAM at the airport? Yeah, right. He obviously didn't even read it.

My buddy said it sounds like him in tower but as he remembers it, it happened years ago. Not sure if the vid is a recording from this years OSH or not. Voices sound the same though.

https://soundcloud.com/pdeitsch/1mp4

I didn't listen to it but from the comments here I'm pretty sure that's from a few years ago. If I recall he convinced the controller that he had a reservation at Basler and had to get in by a certain time. The controllers were waaaay too patient, in my opinion, and he may be have been the single reason FAA started charging EAA for ATC service at Airventure after that...

I didn't listen to it but from the comments here I'm pretty sure that's from a few years ago. If I recall he convinced the controller that he had a reservation at Basler and had to get in by a certain time. The controllers were waaaay too patient, in my opinion, and he may be have been the single reason FAA started charging EAA for ATC service at Airventure after that...

Yeah, he works BOS tower for his day job so he's used to having patience. ;) I was thinking he had to have remembered this exact dude but 10 years at both OSH and LAL, he's talked to a bunch of jacked up pilots.:D

Last edited:
Yeah, he works BOS tower for his day job so he's used to having patience. ;) I was thinking he had to have remembered this exact dude but 10 years at both OSH and LAL, he's talked to a bunch of jacked up pilots.:D

Sometimes it's just easier to spoon feed them than argue with them.

Did I hear the controller say there are strobes at Fisk? Don't recall ever hearing that, nor seeing them my one time (last year). Then again, I was focused on the guy in front of me, not the ground. Maybe if the recording is from some years ago as others suggest, it is no longer. I think it would be helpful if they still did that though.

yah he had no idea what he was doing and what the procedures are. at one point he asks ..18R..is that a taxiway?
18L is taxiway Alpha 50 weeks out of the year.
18R is the one with the big numbers and the dashed line down the middle.

That's the kind of pilot the FAA needs to follow to the parking place and have a nice chat. "Boy, you in a heap of trouble." Maybe you let him off with a warning, but if the guy gives attitude or if he doesn't otherwise have his ducks in a row, he gets a writeup and a check ride.

This is coming from a guy who did forget his copy of the NOTAM once. I left it on a couch in an FBO following an insanely rude briefing from the FSS. Got to Aurora or somewhere like that and bummed a copy from someone who'd already left "the show".

Wow. Just wow.

"You should go back and get it." LOL! :rofl:

You know, generally America rewards those that are selfish butt holes. Make a big fuss, complain, or plead forgiveness for deliberately dumb things and people go out of their way to make it right and make the offensive idiot go away. Some people use it as an everyday strategy to get more than they deserve.

This guy just sounds like he is used to being coddled by the IFR system an hasn't flown VFR in years. He figures somebody will just tell him what to do like they always do, so why bother reading NOTAMS? VFR is simple, right? It's what students and lesser pilots do, right? :rolleyes:

Did I hear the controller say there are strobes at Fisk? Don't recall ever hearing that, nor seeing them my one time (last year). Then again, I was focused on the guy in front of me, not the ground. Maybe if the recording is from some years ago as others suggest, it is no longer. I think it would be helpful if they still did that though.

There used to be strobes at Fisk in the '90s. I don't recall seeing them for quite a few years now.

Too bad that ATC had a sense of responsibility. If it were me, the exchange would be have been:

Do*chebag: No, I forgot the NOTAM at the airport.

Me: I see. OK, follow the railroad tracks to FISK.

DB: What altitude?

Me: FL010

DB: Seems high?

Me: Want to make sure you can see FISK and RIPON

DB: When do I turn

Me: A little busy... I'll call your turn.

DB: It's been a while, when do I turn?

Me: I need to hand you off the Canadian Air Traffic Control. G'day.

I heard a conversation like this:

BO: OSHKOSH TOWER, BONANZA 234.
TWR: Bonanza are you on the RIPON transition?
BO: Affirmative.
TWR: OK, I don't see you. Where are you in respect to the airport.
BO: I don't know.
TWR: Have you gotten to FISK yet?
BO: Umm....yes
TWR: Can you see the airport.
BO: Negative.
TWR: OK, fly east until you come to the lake shore and then turn north and report.
BO: Not sure where that is.
TWR: It's a big lake, you'll come to it.

My comment at this point is that he was no where near the approach and probably south of Fond du Lac. The next lake he came to would be Lake Michigan.

Of course there was this one...

BO: OSHKOSH TOWER BONANZA 234 five miles south.
TWR: Do you have the NOTAM information on the RIPON arrival.
BO: Negative
TWR: (probably thinking it's easier to just get this guy on the ground) Make straightin for runway 36L, report 2 miles south.
BO: (after a bit) BONANZA 234 two miles south.
TWR: Cleared to land runway 36L
BO: Which one is 36L
TWR: The big one with the numbers on the end and the dashed line down the middle.

There is always that one guy. I was out with the local VFD the other night with a downed tree blocking the road with power lines. I am redirecting traffic and one guy with a totally rude tone wants to know why someone wasn't at the bottom of the hill so he didn't have to drive the 1/10 of a mile up the hill with his little travel trailer. He was upset because he was late for his beer and smores while I was wasting my whole evening directing traffic in the interest of public safety. Was tempted to tell him to go through so he could find a place to turn around with his trailer up there on the 1.5 lane wide road.

Last edited:
It's a shame they can't temporarily upgrade KOSH Class D to B for the week. They wouldn't be allowed in unless given explicit permission. Only way to know how to get permission is to study the NOTAM.

It's a shame they can't temporarily upgrade KOSH Class D to B for the week. They wouldn't be allowed in unless given explicit permission. Only way to know how to get permission is to study the NOTAM.
They could issue a TFR to accomplish the same thing.

If the dolts don't know about the NOTAM, what makes you think they just wouldn't blunder into the class B?

Squawk discrete IFF code only published in NOTAM or face Ack Ack???

See, the ATC guy should have stuck with his initial comments of "I suggest you turn around and go get them" when the pilot said he left the notams and paperwork back at the airport.

Dude was obviously not paying attention. I wonder what he was saying when he wasn't transmitting though, to any pax he had with him.

Back