[NA]Sluggish ipad2[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What bogs it down like this? Where should I start?
Safari is largely unusable. Chrome has hope.

That's over six years old. Not really much you can do. Software perpetually needs more compute resources as new versions come out, and the gains in the ARM Ax line have been massive since those days. Best bet is to get a more current device if you want snappy performance.

If you've kept up on IOS upgrades, consider it a love gift from Apple. iOS gets fatter and slower every release, but they cram faster processors and a little more RAM in every year.

If you've kept up on IOS upgrades, consider it a love gift from Apple. iOS gets fatter and slower every release, but they cram faster processors and a little more RAM in every year.
Honestly that's true of every platform, mobile or non-mobile. Look at Windows.

Windows XP was 1.5-3.5 GB. Windows 8/10 is now 20GB. MacOS similarly has grown.

As technology gets better and the cost of compute goes down, it would be silly to not take advantage of it.

Windows XP was 1.5-3.5 GB. Windows 8/10 is now 20GB. MacOS similarly has grown.

As technology gets better and the cost of compute goes down, it would be silly to not take advantage of it.

But just imagine how fast a Kaby Lake machine could suck in a stack of punch cards :)

I've got a 2 as well with the same behavior. It's just old. I think that it's no longer able to update iOS, resulting in some of the issues with web browsers and other apps crashing. Mine is basically a kindle reader now.

I still have a 2 that I use as a backup. It is slow but still usable. Over a year ago it got RRREEEEAAALLLLLYYY slow running Jeppesen but will still run Fltplan.com.

I was just answering his specific question, not describing how my industry has institutionalized ripping people off with "better" software every month. LOL.

I've covered that before in more generic threads. :)

Update all your apps in the App store, then connect it to iTunes and sync any apps you purchased and other content you may have with iTunes...restore the iPad to factory default (which will wipe it) and let it download and install latest IOS software for the device, manually select to sync what apps you want back to the iPad.

That is the easiest way to wipe and restore while getting rid of the crap you no longer need. Just did that to a bunch of old iThingies.

I had the same issue... I sold an iPad 3rd gen for $160, and bought an iPad Air 2 for $190... best $30 upgrade to be had. Worked out so well I sold my iPad mini 2 for 140, and bought another air 2 cellular for 210 for the plane. Another great upgrade for next to nothing.

Back