And another crash at Danburt, CT

Does FF make the PIC decision that you're overweight? I mean for the proposed flight? :cool:
Yeah. If it goes "agn, agn" and turns red you're too fat or out of balance. If it makes a happy "ding" and turns green you're good to go. Now if you're extending your w&b comment to including performance data that include DA, runway length, wind, etc then no.

What does that mean? Either you're overweight or you're not. I'm guessing it doesn't lock the throttle if you're out of W&B, but it will tell you if you're good or not.
As opposed to being "big boned"

Maybe that talking checklist app in the other thread should ask if you've done a W&B during pre-flight and make you say "it's good" before it'll read you any other checklist items. And if you choose to skip it, it'll berate you and tell you your momma wears combat boots. ;)

I think our rental Sp I instruct in holds about 520lb with full fuel. Not sure how much g1000 adds.

This reminds me of when I brought a friend along to join on a lesson in a C172SP early in my training. We're both big guys and so was the CFI. My CFI said to go check how much fuel was in the plane, and it was full. Then he said to do the W&B and we were about 100 lbs overweight. Fortunately there was another plane available with a lot less fuel, but enough for the flight, and it put us right at max gross.

I think it would be a good idea for CFI's to have their students fly at or near max gross at least once. We intended to during my PPL but never put it together. The first time I did fly at max it was an eye opener. Same for a high DA day. Fortunately he hammered into me that both conditions (especially together) were no joke.

Back