Oshkosh - Departures

fasteddie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fasteddie
Didn't want to muddle up the other Oshkosh thread.....

Went up their today, and had a blast as always. However, was kind of wondering what happens after the show ends on Sunday. I don't know the total count of aircraft on the field, but it's got to be north of 1000.

How does that work? Is there just a ton of airplanes flying out Sunday after the airshow is over? Do people stay over until Monday?

Seems like you could have takeoffs for eight hours straight, and still not get every plane off the field...

I've never left at that time, just the normal weekdays after the show. I'd think it would be similar, just a bunch more traffic, extended ground times. I would be inclined to sit it out for awhile, overnight maybe.

The other alternative is to get in line & wait your turn. It would also be like exiting a beehive for the 1st number of miles going somewhat South, keep a good lookout.

You have a fair number of vendors and and volunteers who flew in. Lots of those folks leave on Monday. But, you're right, after the airshow on Sunday has to be an impressive departure volume...

I generally leave on Sunday and it isn't that bad. Many people have been trickling out all week so by Sunday the field isn't nearly as packed as it would be at peak. Lots of retired/unrushed people don't mind waiting another day and leave on Monday too. From Basler FBO where I park, I usually get cleared for takeoff way earlier than I would like (engine oil not warm enough yet).

We left on Tuesday, about 6:30 pm, and were in line early. I was surprised at how many planes were lined up behind us!

Departure was on 18R, and quite a few planes didn't stick to the NOTAM...several were well above 1300' before exiting Class D, and on the wrong headings.

Very exciting! My first OSH adventure.

Departure was on 18R, and quite a few planes didn't stick to the NOTAM...several were well above 1300' before exiting Class D, and on the wrong headings.

If people thought about why the departure procedures are what they are, they would do a better job following them. Instead, they just blast off through the arrival streams.

Lots of videos on You Tube showing the departures. It's pretty much line-up-and-go, one every 45 seconds or so until all the planes are launched. It is quicker to launch them than to land them.

Loved working departures out after an airshow at an Air Force base. All the jet jocks wanted unrestricted climbs to the FLs so they could show their arse off. Even the transports wanted climbs. Fun stuff to watch.

Does anyone get to depart after the night show Wednesday?

I've departed Saturday twice, this year will be Sunday AM. I hope many many people stay for the Sunday show (since we'll back in Fort Worth by then)

Does anyone get to depart after the night show Wednesday?
I think not. The airport is NOTAM closed at night for the duration. Something to do with campers they say.

And another interesting thing I head: No trams during the Blue Angel shows.

I only come in for an overnight at the beginning of the show. Left Monday right after the air show. Can't imagine what it would be like at the end of Airventure.

Way way north of 1000. EAA says 10,000 for the week but I don't think that many at any one time. I think quite a few depart before Sunday from what I've heard. I left Wednesday morning in 2015 and got flagged off 36 when the Meridian pancaked in on 27. On departure the volunteers got me towards the front of what was now a big bunch of folks leaving, they lined us up in two rows and staggered the takeoffs (felt like a lot less than 45 seconds but don't remember) The only problem was I was in a Cub Special and almost everything behind me was faster......you can bet your a that I stayed below 1300 for quite some time.

I left Thursday morning. Started to taxi at 10am and was finally airborne at 1105. That's a Thursday and I could not imagine a Sunday departure. They have a good system though and once leaving you srill habe to be on your toes..lots of traffic around. The controllers really do an exceptional job!!

I left Thursday morning. Started to taxi at 10am and was finally airborne at 1105. That's a Thursday and I could not imagine a Sunday departure. They have a good system though and once leaving you srill habe to be on your toes..lots of traffic around. The controllers really do an exceptional job!!

Thursday was a big departure day. I have a picture from early afternoon showing planes lined up for over half the length of 36.

Interesting, We started to taxi around 11:00 local on Thursday and were off the ground on 36 in 20 minutes or so.

Interesting, We started to taxi around 11:00 local on Thursday and were off the ground on 36 in 20 minutes or so.

27 was a bit more backed up because they were routing most of the taxiing north of the runway due to soft spots south of the runway.

We left shortly after 10 am this (Sunday) morning. Runway 18R was in use and the controllers did an AMAZING job to get everyone going. There a lot of planes coming from all directions and we were a total three to four planes for line up & wait on the runway left and right of the blue dot.

It was definitely an amazing experience and we loved it!

left ifr this morning 715 am absolutely no traffic less than 1p minutes from kermit weeks hangar to departure
no traffic at all had about 5 targets on the new scout dongle purchased there

We left on Friday morning at 6:15am behind a flight of 4 P-51s on RWY 18.

It took us less then 20 minutes from starting the plane to 'line up behind the beautiful yellow Cub' to 'cleared for take off'. That was on Sunday around 10 am. We parked at the vintage camping area (VAC) which was a really short taxi to runway 18.

On our arrival it took more than 30 minutes to taxi from runway 9 to the VAC area. Not to bad though for the distance and the number off arrival and take offs at around 2 pm on Friday on runway 9.

Loved working departures out after an airshow at an Air Force base. All the jet jocks wanted unrestricted climbs to the FLs so they could show their arse off. Even the transports wanted climbs. Fun stuff to watch.

Yeah I used to enjoy it as well. A airfield flush of departures going all over the place and all wanting an unrestricted. Not sure who they were showing off for though. By the time they departed, it was just enlisted cleaning up the joint doing a FOD walk.

Liked working arrivals as well. Such a variety of aircraft showing up over a short period of time on Thursday for static displays. Worked the Blues in '96...gave them a sweet one turn to final for the "overhead." ;)

Left after the Blue Angles orientation flight on Friday. Engine oil temp was barely up by the time they launched us from 36 left.

Just arrived home from OSH. We arrived on the first Saturday about 2 PM due to weather. Had the good luck to pass Rockford about the time the Bonanzas to Oshkosh were getting airborne. 140 Plus! Since I did not own my Bonanza in time to join the training, and since I didn't have their frequency to tag along, I held at Beaver Dam Lake for 30 minutes until the arrival opened up. This was my first time to fly in. Needless to say with the weather delays and then the mass arrivals, it was chaotic at Ripon. I circled for my life a couple of times and tried to join what seemed to be a large circle of airplanes lining up but that just didn't work. Too many could barely maintain 90 knots and those that could seemed to not try. I joined up behind another Bonanza and was following him when he decided that the railroad track meant nothing and so he followed the road...no problem I would just maintain spacing until I hit 80 knots and he was still slowing, so I just followed the tracks (in accordance with the notam) and maintained 90 knots and flew on in. Downwind was another mess as a 185 had to be told by tower to descend (he maintained 1800 feet until almost base) and there were guys flying B-52 patterns and some flying a somewhat normal pattern. I just did what the tower said, flew my airplane and was in a turn at the end of the runway and touched down (tower even said Good Job to me). Leaving this morning early, I thought it would be a mad house but I fired up, taxied out of the grass near Basler's and was airborne within three minutes. Very easy. We were in GAP and the place was fairly empty. I think most left Saturday.
Looking forward to next year but I will find out when the mass arrivals are first. Or join them

Left after the Blue Angles orientation flight on Friday. Engine oil temp was barely up by the time they launched us from 36 left.

That explains why I didn't see you or your plane Friday afternoon. Another PoAer that I just missed.

Lots of videos on You Tube showing the departures. It's pretty much line-up-and-go, one every 45 seconds or so until all the planes are launched. It is quicker to launch them than to land them.

I watched and timed the departures at Sun & Fun a year ago. They were launching to the east off of the runway and one taxiway (runway for the event) at 15 second intervals off of each one. That's 8 planes a minute. They gave them instructions to turn 10 degrees away from the other runway and fly for 3 miles before any other turns. It seemed very efficient!

It took us less then 20 minutes from starting the plane to 'line up behind the beautiful yellow Cub' to 'cleared for take off'. That was on Sunday around 10 am. We parked at the vintage camping area (VAC) which was a really short taxi to runway 18.

On our arrival it took more than 30 minutes to taxi from runway 9 to the VAC area. Not to bad though for the distance and the number off arrival and take offs at around 2 pm on Friday on runway 9.

Dang you guys were lucky! I was on the north side of 9/27 in the north 40. I was lined up halfway down on the grass while the same amount was lined up on the taxi way and they had us all merging at the end. On top of that the south side of the north 40 was obviously sharing the same runway. Just looked to confirm to make sure I wasn't being retarded but I called my wife at 9:58 to tell her I was started up and about to taxi. At 10:32 I text her still in line and then at 11 I said I'm next. Hahaha nope I wasn't retarded that was the time line. Next year I'm going VAC!

Even on the way in they gave me a surprise and sent me to 36. That was a long taxi to the north side of the north 40. Between taxi and having to pull over and wait for paasing traffic it took a good bit to get to my spot. Loved it all though!

My first flying trip to OSH. I couldn't believe how quickly they got us out of there. I left just after the day airshow Saturday from homebuilt parking. Ran into a coworker just after we pulled the plane out, so I thought it was going to be a long wait after we chatted a bit. Turned out the only time I stopped after rolling out of parking was for about 10 seconds on runway 18R. That's a short taxi from HBP!

Left around 9am on Saturday, spent probably 20 minutes in line for 27, and we were shot out in like 10 second intervals.

The departures are always amazingly smooth and efficient. I always leave on Sunday after the afternoon airshow, and I don't think I've ever waited for more than 4 planes in front of me. No exception this time, I headed to the plane from the Hilton immediately after the Blues were done, pulled out my tie-downs, uncovered the plane, and taxied out. Had to wait for three showplanes to taxi up to the FBO in the opposite direction, but there was nobody in front of me at the runway.

Also, for the departures they use both halves of the runway (left and right) - No centerline takeoffs, at least at the busier time. Frequency sounds like this: "123, line up and wait, runway 27, left side. 456, cleared for takeoff runway 27 right side. 789, line up and wait runway 27 right side. 123, cleared for takeoff runway 27 left side. 0AB, line up and wait runway 27 left side. 789, cleared for takeoff runway 27 right side..."

Basically, alternating sides, alternating LUAW and takeoff clearances so that there's always movement onto the runway and always someone on the takeoff roll. Generally, you get your takeoff clearance when the guy in front of you is still on the ground about to rotate.

The departure from AirVenture is something I always look forward to. After all, how often does the FAA not only allow but demand a high speed dash at no more than 500 AGL? :cool:

This year, departing on Sunday morning, I was launched behind an Ercoupe and a Cessna on floats. I sidestepped to the right and overtook the Ercoupe before reaching the end of 18R and passed the Cessna a few moments later. The line to the runway seemed long but took less than 10 minutes from getting in line to liftoff.

Made the mistake of flying north along Chicago lakeshore Sunday morning around 10am. Was the best route home from family trip to MI.

Holy bananas, it was like the Battle of Britain up there. ORD flight following was doing a fantastic job handling the load. After I dropped off it was great to have traffic on the 530, even on a short 20 mile stint without FF there was a lot of "see and avoid" going on!

Made the mistake of flying north along Chicago lakeshore Sunday morning around 10am. Was the best route home from family trip to MI.

Holy bananas, it was like the Battle of Britain up there. ORD flight following was doing a fantastic job handling the load. After I dropped off it was great to have traffic on the 530, even on a short 20 mile stint without FF there was a lot of "see and avoid" going on!

You should have been over RIPON about 2 PM on Saturday! My wife was speechless from fear and The Battle of Britain sounds about right. After we parked, a 182 parked next to us and the lady in the right seat got out and had her head on her hand leaning against the strut. I asked if she was ok and the look on her face was one of absolute shock. I told her that I was a teetotaler Baptist and I was thinking of having a drink. It was wild.

I had some air-to-air photo shoots to do on Saturday morning, so we didn't get to leave until around 1PM. It was seamless. I was surprised at how empty Vintage camping was by then.

I came in one time after the airshow. Me and all the other US pilots, it seemed. Very, very hairy, almost made me swear the whole thing off. Finally put down, and joined another family walking to Friar Tuck's. They had come in on 36 with a taildragger, and had the same impressions. After I expostulated for a bit on how perilous the situation was, the other pilot said "yeah, but wasn't it fun!".

I left Sunday am, and not that bad. They were launching from 27 and 18R. I fired up the engines in the N40 at 8:55 local and was airborne off 18R 30 minutes later.

You should have been over RIPON about 2 PM on Saturday! My wife was speechless from fear and The Battle of Britain sounds about right. After we parked, a 182 parked next to us and the lady in the right seat got out and had her head on her hand leaning against the strut. I asked if she was ok and the look on her face was one of absolute shock. I told her that I was a teetotaler Baptist and I was thinking of having a drink. It was wild.

I crossed Ripon about 1:45 Saturday and was on the ground before the insanity of the mass Bonanza/Baron arrival. Things were bunched up because of the weather earlier in the morning; probably the busiest OSH arrival I've experienced.

I am amazed at how many pilots don't seem to know how to read an airspeed indicator. The 172 in front of me was barely doing 80 kts and I had to work to keep from running him over even with flaps and gear out on the Aztec. Fortunately we got split up at FISK and the rest was easy.

Back