So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Well I passed my checkride today after a almost 2year battle to get it done so I can't comment here anymore. Lol.

Great job. Congrats. A little write up for those preparing would be great. My actual license came in the mail today. Been flying my brains out. Enjoy.

Great job. Congrats. A little write up for those preparing would be great. My 50%actual license came in the mail today. Been flying my brains out. Enjoy.

Congrats to you here is how my experience went:

My DPE was a Military instructor and has a reputation for being real tough with only about a 50% pass rate and 7-8 hour long checkrides. My CFI said I was well prepared and shouldn't be nervous, easy to say for a guy with 30k hours. This DPE failed another student last week 10 min into the oral because he didnt know airspace and another pilot taking his IFR because he couldn't read a Metar well enough. So I studied sectionals and airspace and knew it cold. Know your Class G 700 1200 agl requirements, class D E surface and know it on the sectionals. My weather was weak but passable. He asked the area a TAf covers and I didn't recall ever reading that. My answer was larger than Metar and smaller than Area Forecast trying to BS it and he told me to look it up. It's 5 Nautical miles from center of Airport.

I was more worried about the flying portion than the oral because I studied my butt off and was really well prepared with lots of notes on my E6b, my Gleim POH, and Far Aim books. Well I forgot the books and was worried about it but I didn't need them. I did get displaced threshold and blast pad markings wrong and he kept asking me different ways until I got it.

Other than that know how to calculate pressure altitude without being in a plane and setting altimeter to 29.92 and then calculate denisty altitude. Also know weight and balance he had me do two additional W@B calculations during the oral.

I found the flying portion to be realitively
stress free. I have about 35 hours solo and about 80 total because I flew a lot solo while I was waiting for my temporary Medical to be approved 100%.

Be prepared to do unusual attitude recovery with foogles then simulated engine out immediately after. We were 5k feet above and directly over a airport when he pulled the throttle and told me to take the foggles off and land. It took me a good couple minutes to run checklist and get oriented and figure out where the airport was and how to lose 5k feet. I ended up slipping it in hard with 30 degrees flaps and made a really nice landing. He said he would have preferred to see a more conventional pattern since I had so much altitude but we landed so he couldn't fault me. He also said my passenger briefing needs to be better, but I felt silly giving a briefing to a guy with 40 years of flying experience.

Basically he said my oral was average and my flying was way above average and we were done in about 4 hours. All in all I found it pretty easy, enjoyable, and it was a great learning experience. I thought he was a really fair guy and someone I would love to fly with in the future. Basically if you know your stuff keep your answers as short as possible and don't run the plane off into the weeds then you'll pass.

Congrats! and one more thanks for the write up.

I'm just completely frustrated with my situation - between really bad weather all spring, and pretty much most of summer so far, I'm really getting discouraged. 78.1hrs total now (delayed medical, spread out training due to bad weather being the main causes). Instructor has said "you are basically ready" for 3 months now - but I cannot get enough time with good weather, good plane (maint), and time (work/scheduling) to get practiced up to where I feel ready to roll. And I have 1hr of night flight left. Going for 1hr practice this afternoon.

I'm also going tonight (if the weather holds, tomorrow night if not) to knock that last requirement out. Then I just need a few good days, maybe a stretch of 3-4 decent days in a row, where I can get the ride scheduled...

He also said my passenger briefing needs to be better, but I felt silly giving a briefing to a guy with 40 years of flying experience.

That's a really common feeling, for those reading along. Just treat them like they're not an examiner and you're giving your first airplane ride to someone with you as PIC, and they'll tell you when to stop explaining how to use a seat belt. :)

I'm just completely frustrated with my situation - between really bad weather all spring, and pretty much most of summer so far, I'm really getting discouraged. 78.1hrs total now (delayed medical, spread out training due to bad weather being the main causes). Instructor has said "you are basically ready" for 3 months now - but I cannot get enough time with good weather, good plane (maint), and time (work/scheduling) to get practiced up to where I feel ready to roll. And I have 1hr of night flight left. Going for 1hr practice this afternoon.

I'm also going tonight (if the weather holds, tomorrow night if not) to knock that last requirement out. Then I just need a few good days, maybe a stretch of 3-4 decent days in a row, where I can get the ride scheduled...

I had all those same issues and just persevered through it. Really that is your only choice because I think everyone runs into the same issues. Maybe the people paying for the big money flying schools might have it easier since everything is spoon fed to them as I have been told. I even had a extra plane scheduled in case the first one had issues and the wind was right at my personal limit gusting to 15kn staight across the runway on my ride after no wind for the last week. I think you have to trust yourself and your training and bottom line worse case scenario you fail juat say you want to keep the checkride going because you only have to retest on the things you missed.

Schedule the ride for 2-3 weeks out. Fly as much as possible during that time. My CFI was relentless, and would not accept anything but perfection leading up to the check ride. My short, and soft landings were never good enough it seemed. The day of the check ride, the DPE actually complemented me on all my landings. I had 3 weather delays, before the big day, but I just kept flying.

Good luck, you'll get there.

Yesterday was one of those "great days". As I had said above, I hadn't flown in a MONTH due to weather/maint/schedule issues. Decided to take the afternoon off and do a combo refresher/simulated checkride. 2hrs dual - instructor told me at engine start where we were going (Hamilton KVGC), and to get out the chart and figure it out (right there and then). Did all mental estimate of course, noted landmarks, quick calc for fuel etc. 5 minutes later we were on our way, to an airport in a direction I had never flown.

Did great on dead reckoning, missed no procedures, nailed altitudes etc. Arrived at destination and found the airport (always nice..), overflew, chose runway and entered pattern. Now I see why he picked this place - surrounded by various hills, a lake off one end, and very deceptive terrain. On downwind either way you are only 100-200' over the hills, while you are still 1000' AGL for the runway. Neat actually. Flew patterns both ways, practicing landing type he would call out. Did really well on all but one slightly screwed up soft field (was technically passable but he said not great). Did a power off engine failure to Rwy 35 over the one hill, must have been only 75' over it.

Then he said - after takeoff - "OK, take me to Frankfort Highland (6B4)". OK, I get the chart, estimate heading, pick some landmarks and we are off. Dial in the VOR, and track it to nearby, and find the (very small) airstrip. This one is only 50' x 2500', and again a big hill on one side (and hill/trees that hide the entire runway when on base). Short field technique on landing and TO, and nailed it 3 times. Then back to KSYR, where he had me pick up and follow the localizer on a straight in (under the hood) until short final.

He said everything I did with the exception of the one kinda screwy soft field was "very good" and that he wants me to fill out the IACRA and contact the examiner to see when I can schedule the ride.

Came back in at 9pm for flight #2, and did 1 hr night practice at KFZY then back to KSYR for 3 TnG's and a full stop for a total of 1.5h. PERFECT night for flying, the smoothest air I have ever flown in. Like glass. So relaxing and fun. Landings were very good, much less freaky than the first time I did night flight (still buying a REALLY GOOD landing light for my plane someday) So, check that last requirement off.

I noticed that my skills had not deteriorated at all in the month waiting. My landings are almost second nature now, as is a lot of the other stuff that used to be so much "work". I really feel like a pilot. I am 99% ready. Now I need to call the examiner, and schedule more solo practice (like 1-2x a week at least). And study/prep the ACS again (3rd time now I've prepped - at lest it's getting easier to prep!). Instructor wants me to shoot for 2nd week of August for ride if possible. Hoping weather and scheduling works out!

Lesson #7 of 1.4 hours today for a total of 8.7. Visual & GPS navigation, traffic pattern work, 7 normal landings and 1 sim. engine out landing. Getting better but still a lot of work to do on landings.

Jbrinker.

I think maybe you are over thinking it. Sounds like your very well prepared to me. Schedule it and get it done. I bet you'll be surprised how easy it is. Especially if you get in the mindset that you are PIC and you treat it like your going on Crosscountry flight.

Well, I pulled the trigger and scheduled the checkride for 8/15 (weather permitting). Talked to DPE for about 30 mins on the phone, he seems like a real nice guy. My instructor said he is known to be "very fair". I will have to fly about 30 min to another airport for the examination, but that's not a big deal. Filled out the IACRA form last night and saved it, now I just need another ride or two with instructor before he will sign me off. Here's hoping for great weather that week :)

Well, I pulled the trigger and scheduled the checkride for 8/15 (weather permitting). Talked to DPE for about 30 mins on the phone, he seems like a real nice guy. My instructor said he is known to be "very fair". I will have to fly about 30 min to another airport for the examination, but that's not a big deal. Filled out the IACRA form last night and saved it, now I just need another ride or two with instructor before he will sign me off. Here's hoping for great weather that week :)

Very cool! You'll do fine.

Another Beautiful day and flight today. Simply fantastic. Maneuvers, slow flight, stalls, medium turns etc..... Looking forward to tomorrows flight! :):):):):):)

Logged some more solo time. I really feel like the solo work is giving me the most improvement as a pilot so far. At just under 30 hours with 2.2 PIC, 2.1 dual xcountry and 0.7 simulated instrument. Last night we were going to do my intro to night flying. Lined up on runway 25 at CEU for takeoff but had to abort mid take off when the airspeed indicator failed to come alive. The last student to fly the 152 left the pitot cover off and I guess some little critter made a home inside it. Mechanic is looking at it today and hopefully we will be out there again tonight to give it another shot.

Finally back at it. Picked up my new (to me) 81 182R on Friday. Finishing my PPL/IR and building time in it
Congrats, these 182's are nice. So, how much time do you have logged towards your PPL and what plane were you flying before you got your own?

Since I am using a FBO, my insurance was pretty specific about the FBO being added to the policy during the training. Also, they needed to be assured that my CFI was current in the 182 (which he was). Prior to buying the plane my wife needed to get current in the 182. It was before we had met my instructor so she just found the first place with another 182. She was pretty sure her instructor probably didn't know it that well so we quickly ruled that on out. Plus I think the fact that previous instructor was young, female and hot might have played a role in her banishment :) Women!

Congrats, these 182's are nice. So, how much time do you have logged towards your PPL and what plane were you flying before you got your own?

Since I am using a FBO, my insurance was pretty specific about the FBO being added to the policy during the training. Also, they needed to be assured that my CFI was current in the 182 (which he was). Prior to buying the plane my wife needed to get current in the 182. It was before we had met my instructor so she just found the first place with another 182. She was pretty sure her instructor probably didn't know it that well so we quickly ruled that on out. Plus I think the fact that previous instructor was young, female and hot might have played a role in her banishment :) Women!
46 hours in a 172L/M. It was super easy to get covered in the 182.

Well, my checkride WAS scheduled for tomorrow, but SOMEBODY who carries a massive TFR with him decided he would visit my airport and the surrounding area on the day of my checkride. What are the stinkin' odds? So, rescheduled for next Thursday, with a last flight with my CFI on Tuesday.

I feel simultaneously ready/confident and terrified/completely unprepared. These checkride write-ups are helpful, but also confusing because the requirements and difficulty levels seem to be all over the map (uh, chart).

Well, my checkride WAS scheduled for tomorrow, but SOMEBODY who carries a massive TFR with him decided he would visit my airport and the surrounding area on the day of my checkride. What are the stinkin' odds? So, rescheduled for next Thursday, with a last flight with my CFI on Tuesday.

I feel simultaneously ready/confident and terrified/completely unprepared. These checkride write-ups are helpful, but also confusing because the requirements and difficulty levels seem to be all over the map (uh, chart).

Go get'em. You'll do great. Good luck, and don't forget to let us know.

Added a multi-engine rating to my commercial ticket today. I figured if I wanted instruction from @denverpilot , it was faster for me to add on multi than for him to get his single engine CFI! (Aww just kidding Nate!). I did it in a couple of days at Traverse Air between Oshkosh and family vacation in Michigan. When Tom (CFI) mentioned how the quickest learners are young CFIs, I was sure he was talking about @jordane93 ! :)

Beautiful day today! Full stalls, turns about a point, rectangular course. Tomorrow, Pattern and touch and go's.

Added a multi-engine rating to my commercial ticket today. I figured if I wanted instruction from @denverpilot , it was faster for me to add on multi than for him to get his single engine CFI! (Aww just kidding Nate!). I did it in a couple of days at Traverse Air between Oshkosh and family vacation in Michigan. When Tom (CFI) mentioned how the quickest learners are young CFIs, I was sure he was talking about @jordane93 ! :)

That's seriously cool Sam!

Beautiful day! Pattern w/ full stops each landing and taxi's. 7 landings today, A bit rough, but by #5 i was getting a little smoother. Next week, venturing out to a new airport for pattern and touch and go's. Pre-solo test this week.

Hello Everyone! I logged my first 1.2 hours today in a Cessna 172! It was a great experience and I really cannot wait to get back in the air again. I have a brief write up below, but if you're a tl;dr type - I had a blast and cannot wait to join the community.

I met with an instructor here in the Kansas City area a week ago and set up dates and times for my first lesson. We did the pre-flight together on our rental and I found a missing cotter pin. That grounded the plane... great. Fortunately, there was another 172 available so we took that up. He let me (mostly) taxi which was quite an adventure. My "following the yellow line" more closely resembled a Disney ride. We spent an hour going through climbs, turns, descents, and other basic maneuvers and then he landed the plane. He let me take off again, fly the pattern and then land the plane (with assistance). Unfortunately, our schedules are both pretty hectic so I can't get in the cockpit again until next week, but I'm hooked and I'm already checking dates for Oshkosh!

Hello Everyone! I logged my first 1.2 hours today in a Cessna 172! It was a great experience and I really cannot wait to get back in the air again. I have a brief write up below, but if you're a tl;dr type - I had a blast and cannot wait to join the community.

I met with an instructor here in the Kansas City area a week ago and set up dates and times for my first lesson. We did the pre-flight together on our rental and I found a missing cotter pin. That grounded the plane... great. Fortunately, there was another 172 available so we took that up. He let me (mostly) taxi which was quite an adventure. My "following the yellow line" more closely resembled a Disney ride. We spent an hour going through climbs, turns, descents, and other basic maneuvers and then he landed the plane. He let me take off again, fly the pattern and then land the plane (with assistance). Unfortunately, our schedules are both pretty hectic so I can't get in the cockpit again until next week, but I'm hooked and I'm already checking dates for Oshkosh!

Welcome!

Flew Tuesday night for my 2nd night flight. I didn't do much on the first one due to a thunderstorm that sneaked up on us. 5 full stop landings and take offs for a total of 6 now. I really enjoyed night flying this time and felt confident about it. The last landing my instructor reaches over and shut the landing light off when we are about 50 feet above the ground. That was an eye opening experience but went fairly well. Wasn't too bad of a landing, but definitely not my best. But by what you guys say it was a great landing - we both walked away and the plane was still usable. :D

Flew dual this morning as well and practiced short field landings and take offs. Nailed all 3 of the short field landings and stopped the 152 within 800 feet. Moved on to the grass strip and did a couple soft field takeoffs and landings. Those are pretty dang fun I think and it was nice to see the difference in performance from being on the paved runway to the grass strip. Finished up the lesson with 0.5 simulated instrument and did a GPS approach with my CFI giving me vectors as if he was ATC. Pulled the hood off at minimums and landed the airplane.

ASEL:
171 Landings (6 Night) 34.1
Cross Country: 2.1
Night: 2.2
Simulated Instrument: 1.2
Dual: 30.8
PIC: 3.3
Total Time: 34.1

Getting close! Solo cross country next. Persuaded my friends to loan me a few go pros so I plan on putting getting some footage of the next trip.

Went up this evening for 1.3, started with some pattern work with touch and go then out to the practice area for some ground reference maneuvers. Finished up with more pattern work and a couple of touch and go landings and 1 full stop.

I'm starting to get more comfortable with the plane and proper sight picture. Sitting at 4.0hrs dual at the moment. Still working on that footwork as well.

Last edited:
Back