Opinions - Best current VFR ADSB out solution

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
Hi All:

I'm a new aircraft owner trying to determine what my ADSB plan is going to be. My C172N doesn't have a WAAS GPS installed and I don't have any plans to fly IFR so there won't be any nice panel upgrades in my future. I'm based at a Class C airport so I will need some sort of ADSB out solution by 2020.

I had just about decided to go with a Stratus ESGi but the announcement of the uAvionix SkyBeacon has prompted me to pause and perhaps reconsider my plan. Additionally I have seen some chatter regarding the long term viability of Appareo past 2020 and I would hate to end up with an unsupported transponder in a few years. So perhaps a Garmin GTX 335 is a better choice.

So my questions are:

Is the uAvionix SkyBeacon for real and is it likely the FAA will certify that solution?
Should I just go with the Stratus ESGi which would be an elegant solution?
Would it be more prudent to go with the Garmin GTX 335 and pay more money for less functionality but have the peace of mind the manufacturer is going to be around in 5 - 10 years?

Thanks in advance!

It's only 2017 and more innovation continues to hit the market every year. I'm going to wait until 2020.

For out only the GDL 82 might be the cheapest solution from a manufacturer who will be around awhile.

For out only the GDL 82 might be the cheapest solution from a manufacturer who will be around awhile.

That thing is pretty neat "eliminates the need for pressure altitude interface or control panel." Also looks like they will be selling over the counter and won't be a dealer-install-only product.

Kind of the same boat, just purchased a Ercoupe and within the Class Bravo veil, per my A&P IA, he recommended waiting. Prices are coming down, more options coming to the market.

Agreed. The only reason I didn't include it in my list was it appears to require about the same installation expense as the Stratus ESGi so the savings would be around $1,200.00. That said I'm told my KT 76A is only worth about $200 so a person could probably buy a couple spares relatively inexpensively...

I wanted to replace my late serial number KT76A at a time when Garmin only offered the GDL88. Fortunately before I was finished building the wiring harness they announced the GTX345 which was perfect for me.

Back