Basic Med may not catch on

"Precisely why we need Advanced Nurse Practicioners, who can practice independently, approved to do BasicMed. Just as good as a doctor and cost less."

I wonder how many doctors who are not AMEs will feel comfortable signing off on basic med.

the real elephant in the room is the day the faa starts calling IN the forms from you or your Dr and goes through them with a fine comb ,a lot of form letters are going to be mailed with bad news, you heard it here first

the real elephant in the room is the day the faa starts calling IN the forms from you or your Dr and goes through them with a fine comb ,a lot of form letters are going to be mailed with bad news, you heard it here first

Just curious...

How do you visualize that occurring? Are you talking about an incident or accident involving medical issues, or do you see it happening for incidents or accidents in general?

Unless one has one of the few disqualifying conditions, and was honest and forthright on the forms, I fail to see the problem

Last edited:

Your prediction seems not to be consistent with FAA Policy.

Brad,

Thanks for that link.

Especially relevant: "If, during an investigation or ramp inspection, the ASI questions the validity, authenticity, or existence of the CMEC, or suspects that the airman does not hold a CMEC that was issued in the previous 48 months, the ASI may ask the airman to produce the entire CMEC. When requesting an entire CMEC, the pilot must take reasonable steps to ensure the medical information on the CMEC is protected.

Sounds to me like they want/require you to block out all medical information if asked to produce the form. Am I reading that right?

I answered every question on the form honestly. It's consistent with my last medical certificate that I submitted to an AME a year prior and was approved. My doctor did the exam, checked every box, and signed the form. What bad news would I get if the FAA reviewed the form?

Speaking of BasicMed, I finally flew as PIC under BasicMed yesterday. It kind of felt like I was doing something wrong flying without a valid medical certificate lol

Brad,

Thanks for that link.

Especially relevant: "If, during an investigation or ramp inspection, the ASI questions the validity, authenticity, or existence of the CMEC, or suspects that the airman does not hold a CMEC that was issued in the previous 48 months, the ASI may ask the airman to produce the entire CMEC. When requesting an entire CMEC, the pilot must take reasonable steps to ensure the medical information on the CMEC is protected.

Sounds to me like they want/require you to block out all medical information if asked to produce the form. Am I reading that right?
Maybe they just want you to provide the last page of the form which just has the info for the doctor and their sign-off.

Brad,

Thanks for that link.

It's an error. It should be "the ASI must take reasonable steps..."

Going back to the OP premise, both points I believe have been dis-proven.
Is there some other reason BasicMed will not catch on? I am likely to switch to it when it is time to renew.

Tim

I didn't hear it here first: The form prominently displays a notice that says (paraphrasing) you can be prosecuted if you lie in filling it out.

The notion that there are going to be "a lot of form letters" mailed out seems rather fanciful, though.

I would have liked Bob Hoover to weigh in on this . I only met him once, but just knowing he is not with us any more makes me sad. I am sure that is true for everyone.

I would have liked Bob Hoover to weigh in on this . I only met him once, but just knowing he is not with us any more makes me sad. I am sure that is true for everyone.
While it is sad he's gone, its up to us to make our own decisions moving forward. We're the pilots now.

I was trying to point out the obvious ,remember how the faa jacked around a true American hero? just think what they could do to you.

I was trying to point out the obvious ,remember how the faa jacked around a true American hero? just think what they could do to you.
They revoked or denied his medical so he would have been locked out of BasicMed if they had it back then, but the great thing about BasicMed is that once your medical has lapsed, FAA Aeromedical has no authority over you. They can't just pull the crap they did with him. The FAA can still pull your pilot certificate, but I'm under the impression that they need more justification for that.

Your prediction seems not to be consistent with FAA Policy.
Brad,

Thanks for that link.

It's an error. It should be "the ASI must take reasonable steps..."
And the document is now corrected.

Do any of you know a doctor in the Bay Area that will sign off Basic Med?
One of my Oakland friends said that he got his done by Doctor Toth in Concord. He said the doc is a student pilot and aircraft owner.

I have also heard that an AME by the name of Dr. Beth Cowan is doing them at San Carlos Airport. (650) 593-4330. Her office hours there are said to be Tuesday afternoon and sometimes Thursday afternoon.

Any of the Colorado contingent done BasicMed? Asking for a friend... I"m keeping my 2nd Class... but rumor is that most of the local AMEs aren't doing them.

And at least one "well known" HMOs have banned their docs from doing them nationwide. They'll happily take the money from thousands of thousands of kids and their parents for "sports medicals" every year, but pilots? Nope... "too risky". LOL.

Of course, there's still the "I'll sign anything Docs" down in Montbello who mostly work signing medical marijuana stuff... hahaha...

Clearly it is the San Francisco Bay Area. Everybody knows that... If I told my friend Bob, "hey Bob, I have to go the Bay Area tomorrow" he would know exactly what I mean. He might ask "East Bay, South Bay or The City?" Of course, everyone also knows that "The City" specifically implies The City of San Francisco, not other cities, such as Concord or San Jose.

Edit: Another example is "Wine Country". This clearly only applies to the Napa and Sonoma area. I was in Boston once, eating at a nice restaurant, and my now ex-wife asked what cabs they had from the "Wine Country" and the flippant waiter asked "what wine country, Argentina?"

Clearly it is the San Francisco Bay Area. Everybody knows that... If I told my friend Bob, "hey Bob, I have to go the Bay Area tomorrow" he would know exactly what I mean. He might ask "East Bay, South Bay or The City?" Of course, everyone also knows that "The City" specifically implies The City of San Francisco, not other cities, such as Concord or San Jose.

Edit: Another example is "Wine Country". This clearly only applies to the Napa and Sonoma area. I was in Boston once, eating at a nice restaurant, and my now ex-wife asked what cabs they had from the "Wine Country" and the flippant waiter asked "what wine country, Argentina?"
Clearly, there's more to the world (amazingly) than the bubble that is Kommifornia. Where I'm from, "The City" was NYC, but I don't go elsewhere and expect people to know and accommodate my personal provincial context.

And then of course, there's The Bay State, which refers to Massachusetts.

How is it clearly SFO bay? There was nothing in the post to indicate that. People who live in other bay areas use the term to refer to their area as well. It is not unique to SFO. Same with wine country. NC and other states have their wine countries as well.

Typical display of CA egocentrism.

and then there's the east coasters who think the only thing NE could stand for is New England, while most of us here in the flyover country think Nebraska? :)

Clearly, there's more to the world (amazingly) than the bubble that is Kommifornia. Where I'm from, "The City" was NYC, but I don't go elsewhere and expect people to know and accommodate my personal provincial context.
sorry, I forgot the ;) wink...

Am I correct in that the only advantage to renewing my Class 3 instead of Basic Med is that Canada will accept my Pilot Certificate if I'm PIC up there?

Am I correct in that the only advantage to renewing my Class 3 instead of Basic Med is that Canada will accept my Pilot Certificate if I'm PIC up there?
Or fly in the flight levels (above 18,000 feet) or fly over 250 Kts or fly an airplane with a gross weight over 6,000 lbs. If none of that applies, you are good to go. Oh, one more strange one. Safety pilots who are not PIC, but are required crew members need a 3rd class (can't use Basicmed, anyway).

Forgot "The Bay", which is the department store from the company that started as the Hudson Bay Company.

The gotcha I see looming is what happens to a pilot who has been on BasicMed for years and then has a "big three" event occur. Now they have to re-establish a 3rd class and it's going to be awful filling out the forms and trying to reconstruct all your medical visits for year past.

And PIC on BasicMed...I feel like the guy on Star Wars...almost...there....I've done all my air work, I just need to do a flight to class C to get signed off FR, club annual and club checkout. Sunday morning, weather looks great so far. Flew today and I was awful, slammed the soft field, ran over the short field by about 500 ft, probably would have killed myself under the hood...it was ugly. First thing, I need to get up and practice getting back to being as good as a student is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back