And people wonder why aircraft owners visit Ace and Napa...

Reflecting on high school days and bad ref's... nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, we got screwed.

I may have a few used bushings of those dimensions laying around here ;)

Why I fly experimental. You can make that part yourself.

Stop complaining, it's for the children. :eek:

As I contemplate ownership, this is the one thing that really will deter me.
I don't want to, but I might HAVE to go experimental to keep my sanity.

Owner-produced part.

For an owner produced part, wouldn't you only need to know the material and dimensions, then go "supervise the manufacture of the part"?

Seat belt bushing. A small bushing just over the bolt that holds the seat belt end in the anchor block. About 1/4 - 3/8" long and about the same diameter with a hole for a 10-32 bolt.

https://www.chaparralparts.aero/product-p/63900-53.htm

:sigh:

lol I cleaned my seat belts up the other day and in order to do so it was easier for me to remove the bolt to take them out (because of the stupid metal tip at the very end of the seatbelt and the angle of the anchor). Didn't realize there was that little bushing behind it. Took me like 30 minutes to get it back in there and lined up hahaha I was sweating my ass off

In strict accordance with the regs, couldn't an owner determine the existing material (say 300 series CRES), then get a length of 300 series tubing and "supervise" the trimming for length, ID and OD?

$78 dollars for that little thing? Lmao what a joke.

That price is funny... a local pilot told me "whatever you do, don't buy a plane" "unless you don't mind buying $75 nuts and bolts"

ok it's really not funny
it's insane

When I got my 182 in for the first annual, among other things, the right inside door latch handle was loose. I found that the glorified washer (approx 2" washer with a tube on it, top hat-like, for the handle to pivot in) had the tube portion broken loose from the washer. No problem, I thought...

400.00 (!) later, I had my replacement washer...

That is a "hat bushing"... not a washer.

We frequently machine hat bushings from Aluminum Nickel Bronze bar, NDT them, then Cad. plate.

That might help you understand the expense, also for those wishing to produce their own parts, what it could entail to be done correctly.

Last edited:
I’ve paid $80 a pop for bolts on my experimental. They’re sort of important, keep the wings on and all, and the appropriate size and specification used to be plentiful and are now quite rare. Experimental doesn’t always protect you from expensive parts problems but it sure helps on average.

op what is real funny is that $80 part dic not have tracking or performance paperwork available!

What kind of performance paperwork would you be looking for? Passing some destructive test? Often, just the purchase order can be used for traceability. It should come with a certification of conformity anyway.

Last edited:
For an owner produced part, wouldn't you only need to know the material and dimensions, then go "supervise the manufacture of the part"?
Not even that. Draw (or copy) the dimensions, take the drawing to the machine shop, and tell them "MIL-TDD-41" (Make It Like The Damned Drawing For Once". By some interpretations of the FAA Chief Counsel's opinion(s) you can make it out of goose fat if you can get a qualified engineer to sign off that it meets or exceeds the physics of the original part.

Jim

By some interpretations of the FAA Chief Counsel's opinion(s) you can make it out of goose fat if you can get a qualified engineer to sign off that it meets or exceeds the physics of the original part.

Jim

But isn't there some interpretations that say that "exceeds" is a no no? After all, at that point, it doesn't comply with the original drawings/type certificate. Semi serious, semi facetious question.

But isn't there some interpretations that say that "exceeds" is a no no? After all, at that point, it doesn't comply with the original drawings/type certificate. Semi serious, semi facetious question.
Yes,there "is" some of those interpretations. There "is" other interpretations that say the opposite. Remember, this is the FAA that learned the lesson that you can find both salvation and damnation for anything you like in both the Bible and the FARs.

Jim

I’ve paid $80 a pop for bolts on my experimental. They’re sort of important, keep the wings on and all, and the appropriate size and specification used to be plentiful and are now quite rare. Experimental doesn’t always protect you from expensive parts problems but it sure helps on average.

I thought true experimental guys use zipties instead of bolts.

Appreciate the offer Jeff but its been "taken care of" at a much more decent price. These were for the rear seat belts which are never used.

Back