what do i miss if i build a Straux?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
all parts are added to amazon shopping list and comes to under 110 (without the power pack, which i already have enough of). I will use it for ADSB-IN for my iPAD. waiting to see what iLevil Beacon is doing for certification. already have ADSB in/OUT with GDL 90, it doesnt meet 2020 mandate, but i get traffic / wx on my MFD, so i just need something cheap for my iPA. no point spending 400-500 more.

the only thing i dont get in my MFD is the graphical representation of weather, like moving cells etc, i only get METAR. from the documentation of my MFD i see, the live weather is not available with GDL 90.

so my questions is.. with Stratux and my EFB (FlyQ) will get live weather ? (i am aware they actually not live, NEXRAD delay etc)

If all you want is weather, build your stratux with a single sdr on 978MHz and call it a day, should be able to do it for around $60 with a pi3 and a nano sdr. Yes, stratux works with FlyQ.

If all you want is weather, build your stratux with a single sdr on 978MHz and call it a day, should be able to do it for around $60 with a pi3 and a nano sdr. Yes, stratux works with FlyQ.

It's a good point but doesn't hurt to do dual band and pick up as much traffic as you can. Will get better as equipage improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You miss any traffic outside of someone else's ADS-B OUT "hockey puck" (the specific anti-safety design decision by the FAA who's touting the system as providing additional safety) or any traffic your receiver misses (all installations can have this problem).

Other than that, you'll get everything everyone else has.

Congress specifically told FAA to give "priority handling" to ADS-B equipped aircraft, but thankfully other than FAA lowering the safety of the system, we haven't seen anything else that indicates FAA will follow Congress' asinine wishes in this regard.

It's a good point but doesn't hurt to do dual band and pick up as much traffic as you can. Will get better as equipage improves.

yah, i am planning to do dual band. just wanted to know if i would only get the METAR like my MFD or do i actually get live weather etc. AHRS is still not available, i dont care about it anyway

yah, i am planning to do dual band. just wanted to know if i would only get the METAR like my MFD or do i actually get live weather etc. AHRS is still not available, i dont care about it anyway

Yep, metar, taf, winds, nexrad

Yeah stratux is an awesome project.

I plan to but will require modifications to most cases...

Oh cool

Keep in mind that certain EFB vendors will disable the entire link to the Stratux if they see it sending AHRS data.

Ostensibly they don't want the liability. In reality they want to promote their partner's commercial products instead.

Keep in mind that certain EFB vendors will disable the entire link to the Stratux if they see it sending AHRS data.

Ostensibly they don't want the liability. In reality they want to promote their partner's commercial products instead.
good to know. i dont think FlyQ will block it. i see some reviews on amazon that are using this with FlyQ, but will find out soon enough. i also see the AHRS is pretty sketchy, still being in beta. in all reality, i couldnt care less about the AHRS, at this point anyway, but figured for $14.99 will give it a shot.

good to know. i dont think FlyQ will block it. i see some reviews on amazon that are using this with FlyQ, but will find out soon enough. i also see the AHRS is pretty sketchy, still being in beta. in all reality, i couldnt care less about the AHRS, at this point anyway, but figured for $14.99 will give it a shot.

And you can always pull out the ahrs chip

In my Stratux software it has the AHRS function toggled ON but I do not have the AHRS card on my Stratux. With this configuration WingX is apparently using the iPad internal gyros and it works great with the synth vision. I do not plan on spending the money for the AHRS card.

In my Stratux software it has the AHRS function toggled ON but I do not have the AHRS card on my Stratux. With this configuration WingX is apparently using the iPad internal gyros and it works great with the synth vision. I do not plan on spending the money for the AHRS card.

LOL. That's an interesting bug.

I have a Stratux with AHRS and I use FLYQ EFB, AHRS works perfectly fine and yes you will get weather as well.

Is there an app folks use with the ahrs / stratux beta that is just for a backup ai, something to flip over to from ForeFlight if necessary?

Is there an app folks use with the ahrs / stratux beta that is just for a backup ai, something to flip over to from ForeFlight if necessary?
Foreflight is one of the EFBs that blocks AHRS data from Stratux anyway, so you wouldn't be using anything as a "backup" to it with an AHRS turned on, because it wouldn't have worked in the first place.

Foreflight is one of the EFBs that blocks AHRS data from Stratux anyway, so you wouldn't be using anything as a "backup" to it with an AHRS turned on, because it wouldn't have worked in the first place.

Ah, so ForeFlight chooses to disable your connection entirely rather than just ignoring the ahrs feed. Nice.

Ah, so ForeFlight chooses to disable your connection entirely rather than just ignoring the ahrs feed. Nice.

I can't speak for "recently" but that was the knee jerk they did when Stratux started sending early beta test AHRS data.

I would assume with their business partnerships with two or more other devices that are essentially Stratux devices themselves but claim to have had "extensive testing" while under the hood they're probably violating the GPL and using the exact same SDR receiver libraries -- they're not going to be interested in allowing Stratux data.

We all know that non-certified devices aren't going through any REAL third party testing so I don't really see the difference in them, other than money. And if they're stealing the libraries and not publishing their changes to them when they add receiver chipsets, etc... then folks who support GPL should be REALLY ****ed. But that's a different topic.

There's a "dangerzone" build of Stratux that purportedly presents itself to Foreflight as a Stratus, allowing AHRS. I've yet to try it, but I probably will this weekend; I have the AHRS sensors in mine.

There is only one thing that bugs me about the stratux.There is no central place for info. The info that is around is old.

My first post here so I can't post a link, but stratux.me is kept up to date on parts & images.

+1 for /r/stratux as well

Call me crazy, but all the info is just a huge mess. The only thing that stinks about this project.

Call me crazy, but all the info is just a huge mess. The only thing that stinks about this project.

What's a mess about "click one of these three links to get a fully assembled one that is tested and working"? That's one of the options there, you know.

If you're saying putting all of the shopping list components into a plastic box and plugging in wires is "a mess", it isn't a Heathkit manual, but it's not soldering the thing together from components either. It's literally plugging an SD card into a slot, and three USB connections and two antenna connections.

Besides downloading the software, it's less than 15 minutes worth of plug and play assembly work...

Show me how to find the info on the new AHRS + Fan module.

I built one, it took 10 minutes - I get it.

The problem is that this is an ongoing project, if you are happy with the results great, if you want to keep updating it to the latest and greatest, then you have to navigate a compete mess of info.

https://goo.gl/photos/zi5vscdNaRujhPjp9

I want to add the ahrs/fan controller, a larger battery and that cool info display I saw on some random post.
I quickly loose motivation, when I spend 1 hour just trying to find the info. Maybe in the winter.

Show me how to find the info on the new AHRS + Fan module.

It's a project, not a product. The AHRS stuff is clearly marked "under development". Who's developing that module? You'd just contact them.

Seems like talking to the developers directly on their Slack channel would be simplest. People pop in and out of there all day asking questions.

What are you missing with Stratux? An organized project.

I think a good expectation to set is, build one it will work. Ongoing support and tinkering takes much more time and effort than an organized project.

I don't mind ongoing projects especially when this is solely my backup and I have no intentions of skirting storm cells based on this info. got all the parts, and like an idiot left the Sd card out since you know .. I have like a zillion of them and of course I cant find even ONE rt now.... one of these days I need to organize my 17 unopened boxes. in my defense.. I did move (exactly 2 years back), so a lot of things are still in boxes :p

on a diff note, people who use this with remote mount antenna... is there a best place to mount it? or it something like move around and find the right place and semi-permanently mount it? I plan to put the box itself on the glare shield with a Velcro mount and hope it doesn't get dislodged in chops

Back