Cirrus steps up to the plate

I just went and watched the OP video.
I may need to make a video submission to see if I can get selected as a Cirrus Embark trainer.

Lots of used Cirrus on the market and high accident rates from untrained pilots.

Ya know, I've never figured out the Nickleback-hate thing. The drummer is a pilot and I like their music. Is it because they're Canadian?

Me too I always liked nickelback lol

I agree. However there are a lot of people who do not have an on deck circle for their thoughts and will say whatever comes to mind behind the anonymity of a forum. You have to have a thick skin on this and every other forum I've been a member of. People say things on forums that they never would say to another person's face. The video posted just tees up comments from people. Can I land on a grass strip? How much oil do I add? Really? I think the asshats other than the ones who take pot shots at others behind their computer screen of course, are the people who want to fly, have enough money to afford almost a million dollar aircraft and don't take the time to understand how it works. If I made enough money to toss my keys to the mechanic and tell him to give me a call when the annual is done, I would STILL want to know how the thing works and what to do when it doesn't. I'm not saying that you're that guy either.

Having said that, if you're not having fun then come on over to mine, Briany, Cajunchick (sorry Des), IRPhoenix and eman's table. I'll buy the first round. ;)

Very well said!

So when it's BFR time, can @SixPapaCharlie 's dad "sell" the -22 to him for the free training (plus perhaps a BFR sign-off) and then "sell" it back to his dad for more free training (and possibly another BFR sign-off)?

Me too I always liked nickelback lol

by the way, I added you to my people at the make believe table I mentioned earlier. I couldn't remember your call sign here other than, "that guy in Deer Valley who's dad's name is Russ. ;)

by the way, I added you to my people at the make believe table I mentioned earlier. I couldn't remember your call sign here other than, "that guy in Deer Valley who's dad's name is Russ. ;)

Haha that's pretty funny...although my middle name is my dads name, Russell!

I can't ever hear the name "Russell" without thinking of the joke about what you call a quadriplegic in a pile of leaves... I know, it's bad, but I can't. :)

I can't ever hear the name "Russell" without thinking of the joke about what you call a quadriplegic in a pile of leaves... I know, it's bad, but I can't. :)

here we go!

flying over a fence? - Homer
in front of a door? - Matt
floating in a pool? - Bob

What do you call a dog with no arms or legs?

It doesn't matter, its not gonna come to you anyway.

To be fair Cirrus is a plane w/o my name on the title but the decision process for us was joint and had nothing to do with marketing.
We (Dad and I) flew several planes. We had a TB9 so the 20 was the next logical choice. We flew it and looked at 3 or 4 of them.
We flew Pipers, a commander, Dad even flew a skymaster (I missed that one). I sat in a Mooney and that was all I needed (not a dig, just reality). We put an excel spreadsheet together w/ a bunch of planes on it and went down the list of pros and cons.

A friend of a friend that knew we were looking to get into something a little less of a trainer said "lets go for a spin in my Cirrus"
Dad and I got in it and couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Ergonomic, Roomy, Useful load, 2 doors, no retracts, no smacking your head on the ceiling like in the TBs, and the list goes on.

We landed and talked through our list and I said "The only thing missing is a canopy that can be opened in flight but you can't have everything". That's not true but I feel like a lot of the marketing talk is thrown around almost as if to suggest that Cirrus somehow tricks people into buying their planes through fancy smoke and mirrors or because the wives will love the chutes.

Maybe that is true for some subset of the population. I know a number of pilots that fly these things and I only know one that repeatedly says "I just love knowing I have that extra out if things go south" I hear many times more chute and marketing talk from non Cirrus pilots than I do from those that fly them. It would be like me saying "Blue Knob" every time I meet a 182 pilot. He never thinks about that knob but I look at it like it is from a space ship because it's not a part of my flying.

Anyway, the marketing and chute thing could really be given a rest. I suspect most pilots buy them because you get a very simplified machine capable of flying like more complicated planes and there is no denying it is a luxurious experience which is important to a certain population.

So much trying to justify why they sell a lot of planes. They are, to many, a remarkable aircraft.
But hey, there are Nickelback fans too so who knows why people choose what they choose?

My knob is white. Suck it Bry!

WAIT!!!......er..........I mean.......

My 182 prop control knob is off white in color.

Last edited:
My 182's knob is off white. Suck it Bry!

I hear once you try the black knobs, you never go back.

I have black knobs. What you have heard, is true! :)

All of us, out playing with our knobs... and dials... and switches...

@MauleSkinner I think we have to give them a little more credit on this one than saying it's "just marketing". Offering real training isn't something that's only designed to make sales. I think they know their Marketing is slightly dangerous when it hits the crowd that thinks it can use a single as an "always get there" traveling tool, and they're at least taking a stab at keeping those folk alive.
Hell it was probably suggested by the legal department after they looked over the marketing material

Hell it was probably suggested by the legal department after they looked over the marketing material

Most legal departments either give no input at all (meaning "not approval, but we're not unhappy about it") to "do not do that". I've never seen one encourage anything useful.

I get what cirrus is trying to do...but rolling up in a Benz to a hanger...i dunno how people will accept that.

Like, c'mon. I'm going to drive my Mercedes onto the dirty tarmac? That's what my BMW is for. Geesh. And a hangar.? Clearly the only hanger I pay for is a hangover.

A friend of a friend that knew we were looking to get into something a little less of a trainer said "lets go for a spin in my Cirrus" Dad and I got in it and couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Ergonomic, Roomy, Useful load, 2 doors, no retracts, no smacking your head on the ceiling like in the TBs, and the list goes on.

Yep. Plus no yoke, nice climb rate, very good speed, good avionics and more. Passengers love them. I fly Angel Flight missions as well as trip with my family. The passengers in the front seat love the side stick. It really opens up the space in front of them. Many seem to feel if they even slightly touch the yoke "bad things" could immediately happen to the plane. It's easy to get into the back seat.

I've flown several planes, but I've really enjoyed the SR22. I like to travel via general aviation and the SR22 is a great traveling plane. I don't have the budget for a PC12, heck the Baron I'm flying now is pressing my flying budget. So I'm working on getting a partnership together to buy a used SR22.

Is it perfect? No. But it does the things I want done really well for a price I can afford; at least when purchased used, in group. ;)

Is it perfect? No. But it does the things I want done really well for a price I can afford; at least when purchased used, in group. ;)
the smartest things I did in flying was (1) form an LLC with great partners to buy the used 22 (2) have a good prebuy on it (3) train with a great CSIP, join COPA and attend their CPPP annually (4) upgrade the avionics to the Avidyne IFD series.

We charge ourselves a monthly assessment and $165/hour wet. It's a great deal to fly a fantastic, safe, plane at a reasonable for aviation price.

We charge ourselves a monthly assessment and $165/hour wet. It's a great deal to fly a fantastic, safe, plane at a reasonable for aviation price.

That definitely sounds like a pretty good deal.

the smartest things I did in flying was (1) form an LLC with great partners to buy the used 22 (2) have a good prebuy on it (3) train with a great CSIP, join COPA and attend their CPPP annually (4) upgrade the avionics to the Avidyne IFD series.

Is that for a SR22? What year? 165 wet for a Cirrus is very nice indeed.

That definitely sounds like a pretty good deal.
Is that for a SR22? What year? 165 wet for a Cirrus is very nice indeed.

We're looking at a monthly fee for the fixed costs, and a low dry hourly rate. Dry to promote not using "full rental power" and our home field isn't the lowest cost; there are nearby fields ~$1.75/gal cheaper. Should end up around $180/hr for fixed+dry+fuel at 80 hr/year, a bit more if we can manage to get a hangar (not a given). If stuff breaks faster than we budget it could go up.

Most legal departments either give no input at all (meaning "not approval, but we're not unhappy about it") to "do not do that". I've never seen one encourage anything useful.
Not getting useful suggestions describes almost every interaction I've had with corporate management. I do get lots of stupid questions though.

We're looking at a monthly fee for the fixed costs, and a low dry hourly rate. Dry to promote not using "full rental power" and our home field isn't the lowest cost; there are nearby fields ~$1.75/gal cheaper. Should end up around $180/hr for fixed+dry+fuel at 80 hr/year, a bit more if we can manage to get a hangar (not a given). If stuff breaks faster than we budget it could go up.
Are you just charging an hourly rate, or are you also charging a monthly assessment?

Monthly plus hourly (dry).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hmmm...that's what we are doing. We charge for a fuel flow generally higher than we run it and at the max price for fuel in our area. We also include an engine reserve, oil change reserve and a $5 per hour misc reserve.

Hmmm...that's what we are doing. We charge for a fuel flow generally higher than we run it and at the max price for fuel in our area. We also include an engine reserve, oil change reserve and a $5 per hour misc reserve.
That's incentivizing pushing the engine hard, running inefficiently, and not bothering to buy gas where it's cheap.

That's incentivizing pushing the engine hard, running inefficiently, and not bothering to buy gas where it's cheap.
How can you make a comment like that not knowing us or how we run our plane?

Not really. My partners and I buy where gas is cheap and we all run the engine the same way. We just had it borescoped and there still is cross hatching in it; we have oil changes every 30 hours; and do blackstone reports. We run it LOP utilizing the lean assist feature. We've been told we have the best run Cirrus partnership by several people. And we have lots of cash in our account.

How can you make a comment like that not knowing us or how we run our plane?

Not really. My partners and I buy where gas is cheap and we all run the engine the same way. We just had it borescoped and there still is cross hatching in it; we have oil changes every 30 hours; and do blackstone reports. We run it LOP utilizing the lean assist feature. We've been told we have the best run Cirrus partnership by several people. And we have lots of cash in our account.

You don't seem very attentive to details. I didn't say you run your plane that way. I said that you're arraignment makes it cheaper to run the engine hard to minimize time and there's no incentive to find cheap gas. Wayne pointed it out before me and you still don't seem to get it; nor do you seem to have read his next post properly either.

Lots of used Cirrus on the market and high accident rates from untrained pilots.

This will come off wrong, please don't take it that way (not a Cirrus owner or fanatic, though I like em). Let's have some numbers. What's "lots" on the market as a percentage of total in service? What's "high" and how's it compare to other models?

Back