OSH - Where y'at?!

Took this photo of the iPad flying up yesterday. I have never seen so many planes!

When? Arrived right before noon, at the tail end of a busy spree. We heard very explicit instructions to turn right. Only a couple of hairy moments, but it was also the busiest we've personally experienced. On the arrival, a biplane came right up on our right wing, seemingly oblivious to us. We slowed, he got a little ahead. Approach sent him to the right, and us up the tracks. On the downwind for 27, tower was shooting us in front of a tailwheel Cessna ahead on the downwind, he took our instruction to turn base, came in underneath at a fair clip... and we had to go around. That was fun. Fortunately tower put us on a quick crosswind and all went smoothly from there :)

I was there from 10 until 1 or 2. If you heard them saying go right to get on the grass, it was after the plane got stuck. They were going left until then.

I was sitting on the fence line on 27 when a large yellow/black antique ground looped right in front of me. Its initial trajectory was right at me, so I was up and in my Usain Bolt mode in nanoseconds. Fortunately, the airplane came to a rest quickly and I didn't need to sprint for my life, but that was my interesting moment de jure.

I saw that. Felt bad for the guy. Didn't look like any damage occured

7.4 hours later, am here in Fond Du Lac at dorms. Show the next few days :)

I had no idea how much I was going to wish I was there.
Really wish I had planned some things differently.
This year has been amazing so far. This is only my third time, but this is my favorite yet. My second favorite was my first (2015).

Scheduled to do flybys in the Venture tomorrow at 3pm during the airshow as long as I don't get bumped by someone more important. Spent the day talking to other venture pilots and browsing the vendor booths. Really like the new Dynon panels. Watched the ultralights and stol planes fly this afternoon then made a target run for a new belt since mine broke. Hope that is the only thing that breaks this trip.

Scheduled to do flybys in the Venture tomorrow at 3pm during the airshow as long as I don't get bumped by someone more important. Spent the day talking to other venture pilots and browsing the vendor booths. Really like the new Dynon panels. Watched the ultralights and stol planes fly this afternoon then made a target run for a new belt since mine broke. Hope that is the only thing that breaks this trip.
If you don't get cancelled, let us know. I'll make a point to be paying attention at 3.

Was a good day today. I mean perfect weather. I'm so used humidity the lack of sweating was discerning. Walked 11.5 miles today, saw lots of freaking cool planes, ate some over priced cheese curds, watched balloons light up the sky, and got to see the barenaked ladies. Great day in my book!

Got to meet Savvy Mike Busch today! Saw the B1 during lunch. Darn good event so far. Hoping to meet many of you.
I'm presenting as part of an ADS-B panel at 11 am Tuesday at the AOPA Program Pavilion.
HOPS party Wednesday night!

Yup. Did that too. So what were all the questions at the end...up front?
Got to meet Savvy Mike Busch today! Saw the B1 during lunch. Darn good event so far. Hoping to meet many of you.
I'm presenting as part of an ADS-B panel at 11 am Tuesday at the AOPA Program Pavilion.
HOPS party Wednesday night!

Tonights stol competition was a blast!!
Hard to good vid because of lighting & obstructions!
Neat to see those wings push air, on takeoff.

We all got a huge kick out of the ultralights; these guys seemed closer to flight than what many of us do!
They had very good speed control & smooth, unhurried touchdowns.
It made me contemplate how I could fit one into my life, & dream of how much pasture would be required!

Always have to drop in on the CriCri; she is getting dustier. i should offer to care for her. At my home.
(I have longed for a CC, and have a copy of plans. Alas....)

IMG_5619.JPG

Helo line-up
IMG_5602.JPG Wow.
IMG_5599.JPG Wood forum; hands-on rib construction:

IMG_5592.JPG

A completely delicious Lancair Legacy.
I am set up to purchase this tomorrow, fly it home from Osh. Will inform owner tomorrow.

IMG_5591.JPG

This plane is crazy-looking. Need to find time to research it. Its that bogie lashed to the gear leg?? Really?

IMG_5582.JPG IMG_5583.JPG

help. ???

IMG_5581.JPG

Last edited:
Helo line-up
View attachment 55107 Wow.
View attachment 55106 Wood forum; hands-on rib construction:

View attachment 55108

A completely delicious Lancair Legacy.
I am set up to purchase this tomorrow, fly it home from Osh. Will inform owner tomorrow.

View attachment 55109

This plane is crazy-looking. Need to find time to research it. Its that bogie lashed to the gear leg?? Really?

View attachment 55110 View attachment 55111

help. ???

View attachment 55112

Last two are Burt Rutan designs. The Grizzly was a canard STOL demonstrator. The V-Jet II was a VLJ demonstrator...long before the SF50 was a dream.

champions, Breakfast of

those doughnuts were out of the fryer less than 15min ago; omg

IMG_5685.JPG

OSH is closed to all arrivals except Vintage and Seaplanes.

Check before you launch. Already had one buddy turned away, cuz we are full up!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We are at the very end of Row 554, on the road by the gate to Friar Tucks. Look for the big Texas flag, the white chalet, and the Amelia's Landing banner.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Homebuilts have space. If you're flying an experimental, there is available space, so come on in.

Homebuilts have space. If you're flying an experimental, there is available space, so come on in.
Do the marshallers know that or will they get spun back out? The status page seems to say it's all shut.

Edit: err, disregard, I read it all backwards. It shows space for showplanes.

IMG_0626.JPG Looks like next while I'll be over at AOPA---ForeFlight then ADS-B. Good stuff

Back