GA in South Florida

FX1504

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FX1504
Relocating to South Florida and taking my Cessna 150 with me. Looking ideally at Ft. Lauderdale area but can go south to Miami or north to Palm Beach.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic (Annual is due soon) and/ or engine shop, etc.?

Any advice on airports, T-Hangars, tie-downs, FBOs that are GA friendly.

Thanks!! :)

Can't help you on the east coast unfortunately for hangars, etc, but if you need some info about the west coast of FL, just let me know.

Lakeland and Winter Haven (KLAL and KGIF) have some pretty decent mechanics. I sent my Cherokee 180 to a shop in winter haven for a pre-buy and, had I not sold it I would have got an annual there too.

Be prepared to use a tie down at most airports. Hangars are usually VERY hard to come by at any of the major airports. KFXE is a nice airport though if that's where you're headed. Been there once or twice.

I don't think I've ever run into an FBO that has treated me horribly in any of the airports I've flown into here in FL. Some will charge you more for fuel/service, but it's overall a pretty GA friendly state in my opinion.

My A&P likes Certified Engines Unlimited. They are at KHWO (Hollywood FL, about 12 miles from FXE). Been in business for a long time at Opa Locka but recently moved.
http://certifiedengines.com/

I've been based at KHWO (Hollywood), F45 (North County, Palm Beach) and KLNA (Lantana- just south of Palm Beach.) Out of the three, I prefer KLNA. Three runways, and the FBO Stellar Aviation, who are very friendly to GA, and who rented me a no-lease community hangar for a very competitive price. Full disclosure, KLNA suffered this past winter due to the frequency of Trump's visits to Palm Beach-- the airport is in the 10-mile no-fly zone, and many weekends were not flyable.

I'm not sure where you are moving from, but in general, be prepared for sticker shock in S FL. There are lots of pilot/owners here, though, and it's a fun place to fly. Good luck in your search!

Can't help you on the east coast unfortunately for hangars, etc, but if you need some info about the west coast of FL, just let me know.

Lakeland and Winter Haven (KLAL and KGIF) have some pretty decent mechanics. I sent my Cherokee 180 to a shop in winter haven for a pre-buy and, had I not sold it I would have got an annual there too.

Be prepared to use a tie down at most airports. Hangars are usually VERY hard to come by at any of the major airports. KFXE is a nice airport though if that's where you're headed. Been there once or twice.

I don't think I've ever run into an FBO that has treated me horribly in any of the airports I've flown into here in FL. Some will charge you more for fuel/service, but it's overall a pretty GA friendly state in my opinion.

If you don't mind would you share the names of the shop in Winter Haven and possibly Lakeland also. Thank you!!!! :)

If you don't mind would you share the names of the shop in Winter Haven and possibly Lakeland also. Thank you!!!! :)

Bill at PropellerHead Aviation (http://propellerheadaviation.com/) was a huge help on my pre-buy.

I did business with Double M Aviation for some work in Lakeland and Don from Mac Avionics gave me a killer deal on a GTN-650 install along with a new audio panel.

There's a couple guys at KSRQ that do maintenance and avionics work too. Had my autopilot fixed on field there and a couple other minor things. The flight school (Dolphin Aviation) took real good care of my plane for basic oil changes, etc.

Back