Highway Landing

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173

Nice landing. Unfortunately the cop gave him a speeding ticket.

Snakes on the plane?

And a news reporter desperately trying to make a 30 second story last two minutes...

Good landing, but he missed the first taxiway turnoff. :D

I love that the police was right there and it just looked like he was pulling him over. I wonder if the tower knew and called the police?

And a news reporter desperately trying to make a 30 second story last two minutes...

It always amazes me that people will slow down to a crawl to look at the most minor incident on a highway. The cops aren't helping much here with the two pillow trucks, fire engines, etc.

I noticed in the video that a guy pulled up in a pickup and had a tow bar. Mebbe they're gonna road it to the airport. :D

His OBS was set on the wrong heading...

Glad he made a safe landing. :)

Still flying when under a highway sign, and barely on the ground when encountering the overpass. Glad that worked -- could have gone wrong in a bad way.

Later, they took off the cowl and reinstalled, in that TV news footage.

What's up with NY/NJ over use of dump trucks as crowd control??

When I was based in EWR I noticed this freaking everywhere. Oh an accident on the highway there are dump trucks. Heightened security at EWR there are dump trucks parked along the drop off lane.

If Little Rock was NYC I wouldn't be surprised if our local Chick-fil-A that got shot up by police today wouldn't have dump trucks around it.

When I was based in EWR I noticed this freaking everywhere. Oh an accident on the highway there are dump trucks. Heightened security at EWR there are dump trucks parked along the drop off lane.

If Little Rock was NYC I wouldn't be surprised if our local Chick-fil-A that got shot up by police today wouldn't have dump trucks around it.
I can't explain the accident scene but when they're trying to secure a crowded area they use dump trucks filled with sand as barriers to prevent a terrorist from ramming a vehicle into a crowd like we've seen several times in Europe. They did this around Time Square for New Years.

I can't explain the accident scene but when they're trying to secure a crowded area they use dump trucks filled with sand as barriers to prevent a terrorist from ramming a vehicle into a crowd like we've seen several times in Europe. They did this around Time Square for New Years.
Dump trucks at the accident scene is to prevent the texting drivers from plowing into first responders when they don't manage to look up from their screens in time.

Note the crash barriers behind them.

We use them around big events here to prevent people with bad intentions from driving their vehicles purposefully into crowds, but I've never heard of them used around car accidents or other smaller type events.

We use them around big events here to prevent people with bad intentions from driving their vehicles purposefully into crowds, but I've never heard of them used around car accidents or other smaller type events.

Saw a pair of them earlier this year in NJ on I78, blocking two lanes in fast-moving traffic, while the pothole crew hand shoveled into holes ahead of them. :confused:

So then the terrorists will start ramming sand filled dump trucks into crowds.

The ASN states that it was a loss of engine power, however, by looking at the video, it must of just been a partial loss.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=196785
Someone on this forum mentioned that they once had a crankshaft break during the flight and felt like the engine was making no power, just windmilling. When they landed, the engine continued to idle but would not go above idle.

[RANT WARNING]

Does anyone else become irrationally annoyed at vertical videos? They're becoming more and more common. Seems everytime the news airs a video clip filmed by a plebian it's in this mega portrait vertical mode. The news does their best to fix it by putting the blurred edges in, but the damage has been done. I could hardly see the plane in that video. On my commercial flight back home the person next to me watched an entire movie on their iPad with the iPad vertically upright.. I think the movie took up about 1/3 of the screen as it squeezed widescreen onto a vertically oriented screen. Are people that stupid? (don't answer)

[BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING!]

P.S. - someone already changed that plane's picture on Flightaware to it pulled over on the highway:
upload_2017-7-20_11-2-54.png

My CFI would ask "Could you land on that highway?" Of course it was a trick question because there would be a nice big flat field on either side, and usually a private grass strip within gliding distance.

Reformatted
into
vertical
text to
irrationally
annoy you
even
further.

You're
welcome!

o_O

QUOTE="Tantalum, post: 2332620,
member: 30125"[RANT WARNING]

Does anyone else become
irrationally annoyed at
vertical videos? They're
becoming more and more
common. Seems everytime
the news airs a video clip
filmed by a plebian it's in
this mega portrait vertical
mode. The news does their
best to fix it by putting
the blurred edges in, but
the damage has been done.
I could hardly see the plane
in that video. On my
commercial flight back home
the person next to me watched
an entire movie on their iPad
with the iPad vertically
upright.. I think the movie
took up about 1/3 of the screen
as it squeezed widescreen onto
a vertically oriented screen.
Are people that stupid? (don't answer)

[BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY
SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING!]

P.S. - someone already
changed that plane's
picture on Flightaware to
it pulled over on the highway:
/QUOTE

Funny thing, my car GPS identifies the runway as airplane road.......

Cajun,

Given the current information supplied us by the "news" I see your point of view. Most civilians think the government and the police have an obligation to protect them. While the lattrer may do their best to accomplish their mission there is no guarantee they can keep you safe from all possibilities. Those who wish to attack us are constantly updating their means to do so. Given your task as a security manager I wish you the best. Just remember that for every defense you concoct the opposition has other ideas. I would not take your job under any circumstances. You go, girl.

Just remember that for every defense you concoct the opposition has other ideas.

Yep. The world has an unfortunate amount of sick people out there. People who want to do bad things will find a way to do them, but we are going to do everything we can to make that as difficult for them as possible.

My phone camera senses vertical shots, and dispkays an animated curved arrow telling me to turn it horizontal.

I like the idiot in the truck. Airplane lands behind you and you slow down and pull over causing the pilot to swerve.....

I like the idiot in the truck. Airplane lands behind you and you slow down and pull over causing the pilot to swerve.....
I've heard this before. Seeing a plane in the rear view mirror often drives the "Slam on the brakes!" reflex.

Back