iphone mail

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Somewhere, sometime, somehow, the behavior changed.

Now, when I go into MAIL, there is a message that says "checking for mail" and then it will download all mail I have received since the last time I was in mail. Sometimes, this takes several minutes and I just close it before getting my mail.

Previously, it would download mail in the background so when I opened mail, the messages were already there. It took a lot less time.

Is there a way to restore this? I can't find it.

Settings\Mail\Accounts\Fetch New Data. Set to "Push" and "Fetch" on your email account

This may depend on email server too

Are we talking Yahoo email account?
In that case, you will be chasing your tail forever. It is a bug in the servers. Whether it is on Microsoft's side (Yahoo mail servers) or crApple's side (push servers), they won't tell us. But it is a known bug with one of them and neither of them give a sh*t about their customers so nobody cares to fix it.

Workaround: delete your email account from your iCrap device. Add the email account. Allow push & fetch. It will work for a month or two now. If it happens again, rinse, lather, repeat.
Why fix it right when they can push the burden of fix onto the users? :)

And funny tidbit: when I asked crApple customer support about this, their first question was: "Yu still uze Yahu email? Dat iz so old, holy Krishna". *shrug*

Are we talking Yahoo email account?
In that case, you will be chasing your tail forever. It is a bug in the servers. Whether it is on Microsoft's side (Yahoo mail servers) or crApple's side (push servers), they won't tell us. But it is a known bug with one of them and neither of them give a sh*t about their customers so nobody cares to fix it.

Workaround: delete your email account from your iCrap device. Add the email account. Allow push & fetch. It will work for a month or two now. If it happens again, rinse, lather, repeat.
Why fix it right when they can push the burden of fix onto the users? :)

And funny tidbit: when I asked crApple customer support about this, their first question was: "Yu still uze Yahu email? Dat iz so old, holy Krishna". *shrug*
Yep. It's a Yahoo account and all the settings seem correct. I guess I'll just live with it until I get around to getting a new email server. But this address is tied into a million accounts and would be a real pain to change.

You are not the only one affected. I have several friends with Yahoo accounts and crApple devices, same complaint from everybody. And same as yours, nobody wants to have to move to a new email address just because of some lazy dumb monkeys who don't know how to do their job. *shrug*

If you have any friends who can pull some strings to make either Microsh*t of crApple fix it, please do so, for the benefit of millions.

My gmail account fetches my Yahoo email(not that I use it for anything) :)

Never had the problem, no clue why and I don't want know.

Cheers

For what it's worth, 100 percent of my device-related mail problem tickets for the past seven years and counting have been from iThing users. They tend to come in clumps, which makes me suspect either updates to Apple's servers or silent updates to the devices. Mail that was working suddenly stops working, despite no changes to the settings. It just stops, usually with an authentication error, despite the information being correct.

The only thing I've found that works when this happens is to delete and re-create the account in the device's mail client, closing it between deleting and re-creating. Everything else I've tried has been a waste of time.

Rich

But things work just fine if you use Apple's mail service.... :rolleyes:

It is up to the email provider to push the email to you, as Apple does not act as a mail relay for anyone.

Last I checked, Apple's iOS mail client supported ActiveSync and IMAP IDLE for push email. Google somewhat infamously stopped offering ActiveSync for "free" Gmail accounts a few years ago, at which point push email to the Apple Mail app stopped working (but fetch works fine). Microsoft's Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) still supports ActiveSync for free accounts. I believe that Google (and likely Yahoo) apps support push for their respective services.

JKG

I have seen the same problem, but it is more like 15-30 seconds, not minutes.

Anyway, my cure is to just use the Yahoo mail app, which I prefer to iOS mail anyway. I use it for my yahoo and gmail. I use the Outlook app for work email.

It is up to the email provider to push the email to you, as Apple does not act as a mail relay for anyone.

Last I checked, Apple's iOS mail client supported ActiveSync and IMAP IDLE for push email. Google somewhat infamously stopped offering ActiveSync for "free" Gmail accounts a few years ago, at which point push email to the Apple Mail app stopped working (but fetch works fine). Microsoft's Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) still supports ActiveSync for free accounts. I believe that Google (and likely Yahoo) apps support push for their respective services.
I will confirm that neither Gmail nor Yahoo pushes mail to my Apple mail app. The only two choices are "fetch" and "manual". I have the Gmail app in case I need an answer immediately, but I don't use it that often. Yahoo is my throw-away address so I don't care.

JKG

The backstory on that is Microsoft sued over patent and copyright infringement of the ActiveSync protocol itself. And of course I'm true Microsoft fashion, offered any company who had reverse engineered it (mostly from Microsoft's own documentation of it, ironically) into other products, that they could license it on a per-seat basis. Retail, it runs about $5/user per year. Google decided to license for paid customers, Zimbra made it an option for their customers to buy licenses through them, etc etc.

I will confirm that neither Gmail nor Yahoo pushes mail to my Apple mail app. The only two choices are "fetch" and "manual". I have the Gmail app in case I need an answer immediately, but I don't use it that often. Yahoo is my throw-away address so I don't care.

The actual GMail App is the way to go for GMail accounts on iOS. It also properly handles multiple GMail accounts if you have say, an office GSuite account, and a couple of home accounts or a home and a throwaway or ten.

Actually all the Google Apps work better than Apple's for accessing everything Google, except, sadly, Contacts. The other nice side effect is, if you later find an Android device that you like, the user interface will be identical. For better or worse.

Can't help anyone with Yahoo. Business-wise and engineering-wise, they've been on their deathbed for years. Haven't used my account there for eons. They may be the only major tech company with leadership worse than Apple, post-Jobs. There's really no real innovation going on at either one.

Can't help anyone with Yahoo. Business-wise and engineering-wise, they've been on their deathbed for years. Haven't used my account there for eons. They may be the only major tech company with leadership worse than Apple, post-Jobs. There's really no real innovation going on at either one.

Comparing the business practices of Apple and Yahoo! is like comparing potatos and oranges. Maybe even more disparate than that.

From a business perspective, it's virtually impossible to argue that Apple's current leadership is anything but exceptional. The numbers tell the tale. I agree that the disruptive innovation of the Jobs-era is sadly gone, but the current leadership has done a good job keeping the enterprise going with very few mistakes. Apple has no doubt benefited from the fact that its major competitors are no either no better with disruptive innovation, or poor with execution.

JKG

If you ain't using GMail, you ain't......well, you could do better.

Comparing the business practices of Apple and Yahoo! is like comparing potatos and oranges. Maybe even more disparate than that.

From a business perspective, it's virtually impossible to argue that Apple's current leadership is anything but exceptional. The numbers tell the tale. I agree that the disruptive innovation of the Jobs-era is sadly gone, but the current leadership has done a good job keeping the enterprise going with very few mistakes. Apple has no doubt benefited from the fact that its major competitors are no either no better with disruptive innovation, or poor with execution.

JKG

Sorry. Selling overpriced PCs to the fashion crowd isn't leadership, it's just Dell with a cult. OSX, nothing innovative in years. iOS, same. Different sized phones and tablets is all they've done since Jobs kicked the bucket.

They have always done marketing well, but they're overpriced now for what they are. Beats headsets? Give me a break. Junk.

As someone who liked the innovations of the Jobs era, my last visit to an Apple Store for a repair was meh. Not a single product that screamed "You need to spend hard earned money on this..." If anything, they keep killing the right products. When the Mini 4 dies, the replacements are the wrong size. iPhone 7? What a joke. Pretended to be "innovative" by removing the headset jack? LOL.

No. They're not doing well. They're coasting. Hockey stick. That they are expanding sales worldwide keeps the numbers going up, but Android devices are right up there with iOS devices now. And on the laptop side? They're behind. Well built, but you can get well-built laptops now from anyone for 1/2 the price.

Samsung had the iOS device killer and screwed it up with bad batteries. And then even more stupidly didn't revive it immediately. The S8 is no Note 7. I wouldn't be using an iOS device for a phone if the Note 7 had finished coming to market. I'd be stuck with iOS for flying but not for much longer. The products there are advancing quickly also. If the timing had been a month later, I wouldn't be using ForeFlight for another year either.

Back