Hobby Flying

wdewg88

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WDEwg88
Everyone has been great in replying to my other questions- so I'll throw one more out. For those that have licenses and don't fly for business purposes- -what sorts of flights are you doing and how often are you taking these trips?

I would envision that if/once I get my PPL, I'd hopefully join a club with a few C172s. Then I would fly on the weekends, perhaps on the one off during the weeks when work is not busy. Likely my wife and 1 of my 3 daughters are not going to be passengers due to fear of flying commercial, much less GA. That rules out day trips to the beach. Plus with 5 of us, a C172 doesn't have enough seat belts- -no matter that we'd be fine based on W&B.

So, at best, we are talking the 2 younger girls and their Dad flying to a couple of pancake fly-ins, some sunset flights to sight see, and flights out to the training area to stay proficient. Maybe even fly to see my folks (about 1.5 by car- so only 30-40 min by plane), or the occasional college football game a state over?

What else do you all do with a PPL? I'm trying to build a case in favor of it.

Thanks!

You can still do day trips to the beach, just with the two daughters that like it. My youngest and I used to do day trips to the beach occasionally. Now she's in college.

The vast majority of my flying is cross country flights. They are split between travel and Angel Flight missions. Some years more towards travel, some years more towards Angel Flight. You need an instrument rating to do Angel Flight missions. You could look into other volunteer flying such as Pilots N Paws.

We fly to see our daughter at UK in Lexington, KY as that's ~1:45 flying or 6 hours of driving. We typically drive to see our daughter at USC in Columbia, SC as that's ~1 hr flying or 3:30 driving. For over and back trips to SC we fly, but for the weekend we drive. We may fly this fall as she'll have a car and my parents are also going to see her campus, so there will be two cars there already. I've flown to a few Auburn games, but that's more for the fun of it as there's little to no time difference.

I'm flying a Baron and SR22s, so I can cover a bit more ground in 3 hours than a 172, so some of our trips are farther. We live in Atlanta and have traveled to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Key West, Cape Cod and more. It's nice being able to go on our schedule. Plus we can do some hopping that would be hard to impossible via car or commercial (time and/or cost). A couple of years ago we flew to Disney for a few days, then Ft Lauderdale for a few days, then hopped across Florida to Sarasota to visit my wife's mother for lunch and the afternoon and then flew home in time for dinner.

Likely my wife and 1 of my 3 daughters are not going to be passengers due to fear of flying commercial, much less GA.
I'll never understand the logic behind people who have a fear of flying commercial, it's just plain weird to me.

I merely "go flying" with a few landings. Maybe follow a river, or do other sight seeing from the air.

It seems most family members rather travel by car--more comfortable, easier to do restroom breaks, stop for ice cream, walk along a trail, etc.

But I do fly a lot. One year I put 225 hours on the plane, now it's closer to 80-100 hours. Every flight is different, even over the same terrain -- seasonal changes, weather, etc.

Chances are you will never win the "case" for getting your certificate. When I got mine the conversation with my wife went something like this. " Wife, I have wanted to fly for as long as I can remember. I have no useful reason to do it other than I just want to. Now its gonna cost around 10k and I may not ever really do anything with it. So, what say you Wife"? Wife says, Ok. You really cant justify it and likely never will be able to. Honestly, I really cant explain it. There is just something magical about taking a flying machine into the sky and bringing it back in one piece that does something for me that nothing else can. If I NEVER get to fly another time, it was worth all the time and money. How does that answer your question? I don't know. BTW, War Eagle!

Where are you located? There are lots of things you can DO while flying...fly dog rescues to no-kill shelters, fly patients to doctor appointments and medical treatments, fly wounded veterans, fly kids through the young eagles program. As far as going places, it's never gets old flying a short cross country at 1,500 feet to enjoy the scenery. Honestly I've never been to a fly-in pancake breakfast, but I've had thousands of dollars worth of hundred dollar hamburgers. It's a drug; some get hooked, some are chippers and can fly a bit here and there, not too many people ever say they regret learning how to fly, even if they're no longer active. Enjoy.

Flying for fun with my plane

I'd say 20% trips going somewhere instead of driving, like a festival, or cool town

20% camping

60% just going up with no place in mind, might just be air work, might go fly along the river and see what's interesting, might do take offs and landings out of a few lakes. Basically I have X hours and X minutes in fuel, I'll go up for X hours and see what's clever.

For me it would be all about going somewhere for a purpose... Cool airports around the country, especially in the west..: With the occasional trip for food.

I'll never understand the logic behind people who have a fear of flying commercial, it's just plain weird to me.

Are you serious? Flying commercial terrifies me. I am always worried I'll get seated next to some chick who wants to ..... errr.... please herself during flight. And knowing my luck, the stew won't find me a safe place.

My wife would be the first to say that it isn't logical or rational. She had a bad experience on her first flight as a small kid and it is hard for her to shake it. I get it, and believe me- -between choosing a hobby or her, it'd be her every time. That's why I'm trying to make a case for doing it- even if she never comes around to flying with me.

I merely "go flying" with a few landings. Maybe follow a river, or do other sight seeing from the air.

It seems most family members rather travel by car--more comfortable, easier to do restroom breaks, stop for ice cream, walk along a trail, etc.

But I do fly a lot. One year I put 225 hours on the plane, now it's closer to 80-100 hours. Every flight is different, even over the same terrain -- seasonal changes, weather, etc.

I'm in suburb of Atlanta- -so I'm sure there is some terrain, but also a lot of neighborhoods with a pool and 4 tennis courts to see from the air. LOL

I find flying provides a magical experience and a destination is just an excuse to fly.

I fly to events at airports and fly nearby for lunch.

It is fun to visit friends.

I only fly about 200 hours a year for the pure fun of flying.

I also find great joy in instructing people how to fly so even though I get paid it is still for fun.

Chances are you will never win the "case" for getting your certificate. When I got mine the conversation with my wife went something like this. " Wife, I have wanted to fly for as long as I can remember. I have no useful reason to do it other than I just want to. Now its gonna cost around 10k and I may not ever really do anything with it. So, what say you Wife"? Wife says, Ok. You really cant justify it and likely never will be able to. Honestly, I really cant explain it. There is just something magical about taking a flying machine into the sky and bringing it back in one piece that does something for me that nothing else can. If I NEVER get to fly another time, it was worth all the time and money. How does that answer your question? I don't know. BTW, War Eagle!

That does answer it to some extent. and WAR EAGLE to you as well! Nice catch. My wife is very supportive (despite being terrified of flying)- -so that isn't it. I just would feel better having a plan of all the cool stuff I have in front of me before embarking on the journey for real, if that makes sense.

But flying to an Auburn game "just for fun" sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.

Chances are you will never win the "case" for getting your certificate.

Yep. Many people still try to justify it though. If a person can get past the thought that the expense needs to be justified and that you're just doing it "because I can and I want to" it gets more fun.

As for what I do recreationally with my certificates, I've taken some great vacations that would not be possible in a car. It's fun when you get to go places that are only accessible by airplane. My recreational flying isn't just about travel though, many times I'll just go out and fly for a while to relax, see the scenery, and maybe stop at a lake or a friend's place.

Where are you located? There are lots of things you can DO while flying...fly dog rescues to no-kill shelters, fly patients to doctor appointments and medical treatments, fly wounded veterans, fly kids through the young eagles program. As far as going places, it's never gets old flying a short cross country at 1,500 feet to enjoy the scenery. Honestly I've never been to a fly-in pancake breakfast, but I've had thousands of dollars worth of hundred dollar hamburgers. It's a drug; some get hooked, some are chippers and can fly a bit here and there, not too many people ever say they regret learning how to fly, even if they're no longer active. Enjoy.

Do people do the rescue stuff, young eagles, etc. using rental planes? Or is it strictly those with their own plane?

Just never know what phobia a person will have. I have a fear of falling, yet getting in a small airplane up in the flight levels doesn't bother me, as a pilot or passenger.

I also fear Velcro....

Most of my flights are long XC trips. We fly between Reno and Michigan each year and also take the plane on trips to Seattle to see a Mariners game (as long as they're playing the Tigers) or to visit friends in Salt Lake. Other trips are simply a $100 hamburger run. I would guess we fly about 150 hours a year.

Great question. I like Mike Smiths answer. As a student, it has been at the back of my mind too...what am I going to do with this after all this work to get it. Like mike, my wife is 100% behind me from the start, and she is eager to fly with me. Not sure about the kids.

At this point I am just totally focused on getting my cert. Not being instrument rated (right now it is enough just to get my VFR rating) I also realize and explain to my wife the finicky nature of weather, that one can get stuck or socked in. It's not the most reliable mode of transport.

But again, great question. I have plans of tours (I'm in Norway) to itally, or other destinations. Not sure how feasible that really is, but I think and believe it will sort itself out.

I kind of think of it like boaters, my brother in law has a nice boat, and granted you can overnight in a boat much easier than in a Piper, still thy often go for day tours he and there, for no real purpose except to be out "on the boat" but seriously, how much cooler is it to fly?? Mega!

That does answer it to some extent. and WAR EAGLE to you as well! Nice catch. My wife is very supportive (despite being terrified of flying)- -so that isn't it. I just would feel better having a plan of all the cool stuff I have in front of me before embarking on the journey for real, if that makes sense.

But flying to an Auburn game "just for fun" sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.

It's not for nothing.

When I'm in a bad mood my wife tells me to go out to the hangar for awhile; even if I don't have time to fly, just hanging out with the plane always cheers me up. You can't put a value on that kind of pick me up.

I fly just about every weekend to get cheap gas and a bite to eat. Sometimes I'll have more of a mission. Right now, I'm visiting my folks 800 miles away and it's only 6 hours of blissful cloud hopping to get back again.

My wife would be the first to say that it isn't logical or rational. She had a bad experience on her first flight as a small kid and it is hard for her to shake it. I get it, and believe me- -between choosing a hobby or her, it'd be her every time. That's why I'm trying to make a case for doing it- even if she never comes around to flying with me.
Ah, that's a bummer. I wish you luck my friend. Get her over the bump and she may just enjoy GA flying.

Do people do the rescue stuff, young eagles, etc. using rental planes? Or is it strictly those with their own plane?
From a tax perspective it's actually better to rent, since you can deduct the full cost of the rental, rather than just fuel and oil if you own it yourself (yes some people will form a LLC for their plane and rent from the LLC but I'm not sure that'd pass an audit). That said, most people who do those activities generally own because those who rent tend to have limited time and budget for "extracurricular flying". I do see a lot of folks in partnership and club planes though.

IMG_1678.PNG Get away right now- this stuff is habit forming. A waning label should be printed on your license stating the same.

Every other week I drive a new rental car. A BMW 330i this week. Whatever. Stopped being fun a decade or so ago. That was about the time I was having one of those mid life experiences that make you ask a few questions about what you actually "get" out of all the effort at work.

So I have this crazy uncle that was trying to get me interested in this flying thing. Went up with him in his ratty old Luscomb that most here on POA wouldn't stand beside- let alone go flying in. That did it! Hook set.

Got a PPL back in 2006- and rented airplanes for years. Then the ownership bug hit. I just wanted to fly whenever and for whatever reason I wanted. I will say that pulling an airplane out of a hangar on a whim to go wherever you want is about the best expression of feedom one can have. There is no comparison- without being hue Hefner (google it).

So now I have something new to do on weekends- polishing an A35 (google it).

View attachment 54898 Get away right now- this stuff is habit forming. A waning label should be printed on your license stating the same.

Every other week I drive a new rental car. A BMW 330i this week. Whatever. Stopped being fun a decade or so ago. That was about the time I was having one of those mid life experiences that make you ask a few questions about what you actually "get" out of all the effort at work.

So I have this crazy uncle that was trying to get me interested in this flying thing. Went up with him in his ratty old Luscomb that most here on POA wouldn't stand beside- let alone go flying in. That did it! Hook set.

Got a PPL back in 2006- and rented airplanes for years. Then the ownership bug hit. I just wanted to fly whenever and for whatever reason I wanted. I will say that pulling an airplane out of a hangar on a whim to go wherever you want is about the best expression of feedom one can have. There is no comparison- without being hue Hefner (google it).

So now I have something new to do on weekends- polishing an A35 (google it).
Is that 8511A?

OP WARNING: read between the lines on this reply to Krupp-flyer

Yep- that's the airplane. I had the ok from the wife to spend a lot more on a bonanza. But she really wasn't interested. When I notice that one was on sale and since I have 200 hours already in a -35--- we'll, I couldn't help myself. (I should have. But I just couldn't pass that one up.)

Remember that government warning??

Heres a reason for fear of flying commercial: Flying commercial is a great way to breathe air that has passed through the lungs of people from all over the world carrying ever bacteria and virus known to humans. A passenger is less than 24 hours from contagions that have begun an outbreak in some remote part of the world.

All kids are different. When we fly as a family (wife is PIC...but not for long!) my 8yo daughter quickly grew tired of hops around the patch or a flight out and back agsin. However, once we hit a fly in she hopped out and was like "COOL". As of now the favorite is to fly to a town with a favorite pizza place, call in the order right before starting the plane, cruise there and pizza under the wing. She still talks about it. In other words have a destination and maybe limit to 45 min when they're young. Once I have my PPL I look forward doing a flight with just her. Also, the trip to Grandmas is great. She has her little Carry-on and iPad for a movie. With the exception of a bathroom it just about rivals commercial.

For me I look forward to being PIC on a trip or two each year, maybe a fly-in or breakfast and just keeping sharp with local pattern work.

Likely my wife and 1 of my 3 daughters are not going to be passengers due to fear of flying commercial, much less GA.

The one doesn't always imply the other.

I'm terrified of flying commercial. Truly terrified - sweating, shaking, heart pounding etc. To the point where my hands will start sweating just watching a movie like 'Flight'. And funny enough the worse for me is at cruising altitude. So flying across the country is a 5 hour long panic attack for me. I'm literally at the point now where I would drive coast to coast before flying commercial.

BUT, I'm totally fine and relaxed in the front passenger seat of a small airplane or helicopter. (My wife is the pilot). Moderate bumps, steep banks, stalls, IMC - all fine. I haven't flown acro but I'd probably be fine with that too.

Go and explain that...

I can't really. Maybe it's the difference between a claustrophobic tube where you can't really see anything and have no knowledge and no control over what's happening, vs. big front window where you see everything the pilot sees, know whats going on and have some input over the conduct of the flight itself.

Heres a reason for fear of flying commercial: Flying commercial is a great way to breathe air that has passed through the lungs of people from all over the world carrying ever bacteria and virus known to humans. A passenger is less than 24 hours from contagions that have begun an outbreak in some remote part of the world.

Well there is that. :eek:

Everyone has been great in replying to my other questions- so I'll throw one more out. For those that have licenses and don't fly for business purposes- -what sorts of flights are you doing and how often are you taking these trips?

I would envision that if/once I get my PPL, I'd hopefully join a club with a few C172s. Then I would fly on the weekends, perhaps on the one off during the weeks when work is not busy. Likely my wife and 1 of my 3 daughters are not going to be passengers due to fear of flying commercial, much less GA. That rules out day trips to the beach. Plus with 5 of us, a C172 doesn't have enough seat belts- -no matter that we'd be fine based on W&B.

So, at best, we are talking the 2 younger girls and their Dad flying to a couple of pancake fly-ins, some sunset flights to sight see, and flights out to the training area to stay proficient. Maybe even fly to see my folks (about 1.5 by car- so only 30-40 min by plane), or the occasional college football game a state over?

Thanks!
I started off getting my license about 23 years ago, just for the joy of flying. I would fly, regularly, just to do it. After about a year or two of this, I started looking more for "excuses" to fly: take a day trip here or there, go to a fly-in, etc. Now, I pretty much fly just for travel. My girlfriend and I jump in the plane, for a weekend, and just go somewhere...anywhere...within about 4 hours of my home drone (my personal self-imposed limit for sitting in my plane is 4 hours). So, I guess my point is, there can be a number of reasons to fly for pleasure, and don't be afraid to change them.

Early in my flying days I totaled up everything I'd spent on aviation in one year. I then assiduously swore I would never do so again.

We seem to be the only "hobbyists" who have to justify our avocation. I will never figure that out. The boats I see at the lake are all more money than my aircraft, but no one is asking them to justify why they own them. They just do. No one asks why guys own those huge Harley dripping with chrome do-dads. Yes, they cost as much if not more than some of our aircraft, and can't even be used in the winter. Many of the cars I see on the road cost more than my aircraft. Why? One doesn't need all that to get from point A to point B.

The answer is of course very simple. We're adults, and we get to expend our resources on whatever floats our boats, no matter how ludicrous is seems to others.

As for your friendly neighborhood Steingar, my flights are a mixture of going to see friends, going to see family, going on trips and just farting around in my airplane. In a good year the vast majority of flights fall into the latter category.

Early in my flying days I totaled up everything I'd spent on aviation in one year. I then assiduously swore I would never do so again.

Amen, Michael. I never want to know the totals.

I have only ever flown for fun. I have never flown to get somewhere. Although I have flown with others to go somewhere the math just doesn't work for me to rent a plane to travel. Maybe someday it will.

Mostly it is just flying for the fun of it.
I take a lot of people for rides.
I have flow to pancake breakfasts.
I have flown to airshows.

People spend all sorts of money on hobbies, I was at a model rocket launch at our airport recently the amount some of those guys spend for a few seconds of flight and they are not even on-board is crazy. Ever talk to a guy into racing stock cars? Dragsters? Classic Cars? Have a membership at a golf course? Ride horses? Motorcycles?

There are lots of ways to spend money on hobbies.

We seem to be the only "hobbyists" who have to justify our avocation. I will never figure that out. The boats I see at the lake are all more money than my aircraft, but no one is asking them to justify why they own them. They just do. No one asks why guys own those huge Harley dripping with chrome do-dads. Yes, they cost as much if not more than some of our aircraft, and can't even be used in the winter. Many of the cars I see on the road cost more than my aircraft. Why? One doesn't need all that to get from point A to point B.

The answer is of course very simple. We're adults, and we get to expend our resources on whatever floats our boats, no matter how ludicrous is seems to others.

As for your friendly neighborhood Steingar, my flights are a mixture of going to see friends, going to see family, going on trips and just farting around in my airplane. In a good year the vast majority of flights fall into the latter category.

Yep. I have had a few discussions regarding that with some friends. One in particular had a speed boat, a Harley, and a full sized heavy duty 4x4 pickup that he basically only used to commute in. Plus he lived in a huge 4 bedroom house with just his wife and one kid. He couldn't believe I could afford to fly even though I just drive a Jeep Wrangler, don't have a bike or boat, and live in a much smaller house. Go figure.

So you don't have your PPL yet? Have you solo'ed? I haven't read the other posts.

Apparently you need to do this; who cares about the logic of any of it.

That said, the smartest thing I've ever done in my life is a) have kids and b) buy my plane. The wife has never flown with me; the 7-year old could care less about flying and never goes any more unless bribed (ice cream). None of it makes any sense from any angle but so what.

The one doesn't always imply the other.

I'm terrified of flying commercial. Truly terrified - sweating, shaking, heart pounding etc. To the point where my hands will start sweating just watching a movie like 'Flight'. And funny enough the worse for me is at cruising altitude. So flying across the country is a 5 hour long panic attack for me. I'm literally at the point now where I would drive coast to coast before flying commercial.

BUT, I'm totally fine and relaxed in the front passenger seat of a small airplane or helicopter. (My wife is the pilot). Moderate bumps, steep banks, stalls, IMC - all fine. I haven't flown acro but I'd probably be fine with that too.

Go and explain that...

I can't really. Maybe it's the difference between a claustrophobic tube where you can't really see anything and have no knowledge and no control over what's happening, vs. big front window where you see everything the pilot sees, know whats going on and have some input over the conduct of the flight itself.

I wasn't going to offer this originally- but she has said pretty much the same thing (ie preferring something small where she can see everything and see the person in control (me?!) versus a big tube with no idea where or what it is heading into). So, I can't explain it- but she feels the same.

"So, your saying there's a chance!" :D

Charity flying. First it was Pilots N Paws flights which helped in a big way to build cross country time and general experience. Then once I had the minimum time, I joined the local Angel Flight organization, helping to transport medical patients to/from the regional medical centers around the state.

I also participate in EAA's Young Eagles program, and a few other events that expose teenagers to the joys and fun of aviating.

Yes, it's often allowed. But check the rental rules to be sure.

Back