Restaurant stop in Illinois

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
I am looking for any suggestions for a stop in Illinois for lunch that are on the airport grounds. Looking at fun places to fly.com, it doesn't appear there are many options out there. If we can't find a decent restaurant, we'll just stop for the cheapest fuel somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Benjamin

I found a website that has a map of every restaurant on an airport.
Here's some of the restaurants for Illinois:

Wilkey's Cafe - KMVN
High Flyers Grille - KALN
The Hangar Restaurant - 2T2 (grass runway)
Airport Steakhouse - KMTO
Main Hangar Restaurant - KDEC
Bluehaven Cafe - KUIN
CJ's Family Restaurant - KBMI
Flight Deck Bar & Grill at CSC - KRPJ
Pilot Pete's - 06C
Kitty Hawk Cafe - KDPA
Charlie's Restaurant - 1C5
Lynnie Ques - KIGQ

There's some more but those are the more popular ones according to the website i found

CJ's at BMI was great and Image Air gives a substantial ($0.40 ??) fuel discount if you mention that you ate there (keep your receipt just in case). Note that they will not fuel you if you are parked in front of the restaurant, you need to taxi over to the FBO which is to your right if you are facing the restaurant from the ramp.

Flight Deck Bar & Grill at CSC - KRPJ
Pilot Pete's - 06C
High Flyers Grille - KALN

I've taxied up and ate at these 3. They are all good and have their own perks.

I'll second Wilkey's at Mt. Vernon and the Airport Steakhouse at Mattoon.

The only two I've been to, and both are quite respectable for on airport restaurants.

funplacestofly.com

It was another website, basically a map of the entire country with every restaurant at an airport and all up to date as of this month. I'll have to find it again

It was another website, basically a map of the entire country with every restaurant at an airport and all up to date as of this month. I'll have to find it again
Please do!

Yes, The Flight Deck in Rochelle, if it's a reasonable option on the route.

Mattoon is an absolute must-visit. Not the most exciting part of the nation geologically speaking, but the restaurant is fantabulous.

I've been to Bloomington IL too which was great. Been a few years so I don't know if it's still in biz but hopefully.

I will recommend KALN, the High Flyers Grille is on the field right next to the tower. You can taxi up to the fence and walk right in. They have outdoor seating right by the ramp so you can watch the other airplanes or indoor seating if you prefer. Food is very good, they're closed on Mondays but open the rest of the week.

I've been to Bloomington IL too which was great. Been a few years so I don't know if it's still in biz but hopefully.
It is. Just tell the tower you're going to CJ's to eat.

Pilot Petes is always good. Great view from the restaurant. Real close to Ohare.
Rochelle is good food and good drinks (for your passengers of course). And a huge skydiving section if you are interested.
Dupage has a small sandwich place that is only open during business hours last I checked- skip it
Charlies is a good greasy spoon type place.
ARR has or had last year a frozen pizza vending machine. FBO lady said a lot of guys land to grab some and take them home. Dunno if its still there or the validity of the statement.

@JC150, any luck? Not airfareamerica... Not New England Flying Gourmet Challenge...

Prairie du Chien (a little into wi) had an awesome steak house across the road.

Back