Rich mans game

I had a co-worker once who named his cat "mushu". Even funnier was he didn't know why it made people laugh.

Hopefully, one day us Americans will realize that most politicians are only out for themselves....it doesn't matter what side either.

I collected blood once at a chicken processing facility to isolate topoisomerase. I never ate chicken again.

I guess any meat processing plants are pretty gross. I don't need to know about it. However, what James does is totally different. The chickens lay eggs, and when their egg laying lifecycle is up they get sold to the meat processors. It looks like a pretty clean environment to me.

I guess any meat processing plants are pretty gross. I don't need to know about it. However, what James does is totally different. The chickens lay eggs, and when their egg laying lifecycle is up they get sold to the meat processors. It looks like a pretty clean environment to me.
Do the chickens have large talons?

Who started it?
Doesn't matter, if the political sniping continues, the thread will be closed and warnings will be given. The people who continue in that vein are just as guilty as the starter.

Doesn't matter, if the political sniping continues, the thread will be closed and warnings will be given. The people who continue in that vein are just as guilty as the starter.
Funny, the "guilty" ones on your side of the aisle never seem to get publicly admonished.

Just an observation.

Funny, the "guilty" ones on your side of the aisle never seem to get publicly admonished.

Just an observation.
Both sides are equally guilty, . You have no idea who gets private warnings.

BTW, although I have certain political opinions, at this point I can't stand either "side".

The chickens lay eggs, and when their egg laying lifecycle is up they get sold to the meat processors. It looks like a pretty clean environment to me.
I believe that is nearly entirely incorrect. The breeds of chicken that you eat are distinct from those that lay eggs, at least according to my understanding. Indeed the ones you eat are grown by a small number of monolithic corporations, those who raise the chickens are in effect small-time employees of said corporation, and are treated about how you expect. John Oliver did a great piece on it.

Not being in the business I will be the first to say I could be mistaken, and with luck our own resident Egghead can correct me if I'm in error. That said, egg production and muscle mass are distinct traits controlled by different alleles. I find it difficult to believe that a strain bred for one trait would be good for another.

Can't resist posting this:
latest

BTW, although I have certain political opinions, at this point I can't stand either "side".
But I know who gets public warnings.

Double-standard much?

See it's so bad that they got YOU talking about politics...smh!!!

I believe that is nearly entirely incorrect. The breeds of chicken that you eat are distinct from those that lay eggs, at least according to my understanding.

I never said they were sold to be eaten by humans, just sold. I believe they are processed into feed or some such.

But I know who gets public warnings.

Double-standard much?
The only reason I quoted your post is that it was the most appropriate one for me to answer. You asked who started it, I said it didn't matter. We don't allow political bashing from either side.

The only reason I quoted your post is that it was the most appropriate one for me to answer. You asked who started it, I said it didn't matter. We don't allow political bashing from either side.
giphy.gif

I didn't know your lawn was made out of arugula. I feed dandelions to my pet tortoise Rosie. Never seem to run out of those.
Sometimes it seems my lawn is only made of arugula!

Sure. Glad to help.

1. Avoid debt.
2. Pay off credit cards every month. Every month.
3. Live well within your means.
4. Invest surplus (see 3 above) in low to moderate risk mutual funds, well diversified.
5. Continue patiently for 20 to 30 years.

You're welcome.

I did that, opened my first IRA in 1982 at age 24. 35 years later, my wife and I have amassed $800,000, which I suppose sounds like a lot of money, until you try to live on it. Using that rule of thumb that you should spend no more than four percent of your income producing assets in a given year, that would give me $32,000 per year. If that's being rich then it's overrated.

If you're in the upper middle class and your follow HF's advice, and you never have a long spate of unemployment, and you never have a serious illness, you can collect a nice nest egg to make your retirement more comfortable, but you will not be rich or wealthy. I'm hoping to stay in my current profession until I'm 70, but as my mother used to say, "If you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans.".

I did that, opened my first IRA in 1982 at age 24. 35 years later, my wife and I have amassed $800,000, which I suppose sounds like a lot of money, until you try to live on it. Using that rule of thumb that you should spend no more than four percent of your income producing assets in a given year, that would give me $32,000 per year. If that's being rich then it's overrated.

If you're in the upper middle class and your follow HF's advice, and you never have a long spate of unemployment, and you never have a serious illness, you can collect a nice nest egg to make your retirement more comfortable, but you will not be rich or wealthy. I'm hoping to stay in my current profession until I'm 70, but as my mother used to say, "If you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans.".

I get what you're saying, it's not "wealthy", but rich? I think so. Sure beats an awful lot of folks who saved $0.

Mathematically it makes sense. If there were no such thing as interest and you know you'll live approximately 20% of your adult life with no income, you'd have to save 20% of everything you make in a lifetime to cover it.

That just matches lifestyle. It doesn't amass wealth. You'd have to invest far heavier than 20% to live a lifestyle above your working years in retirement in a no interest world.

Besides airplanes, which are hideously expensive, and obviously everyone here would like to fly them in retirement, which means a LOT more saved... what would you not be able to do in retirement that you could do when working at that $32,000/year number? Everything paid off, including house, and food and energy bills being the main/largest outflows.

With SSI added to it, how close will you be to $56,516, the median household U.S. income? Will your SSI number be at least $2000/mo? If it's higher, you'll be above the median. Most folks mathematically would call that "rich".

Not "wealthy" though. I get that.

To expand on this, numerous posts were deleted and warnings were given. Don't think that just because someone makes an inappropriate post that doesn't get deleted right away that you can jump right in with similar posts. It sometimes takes a while for posts to be noticed or reported. Then it takes a while for the MC to act.

I get what you're saying, it's not "wealthy", but rich? I think so. Sure beats an awful lot of folks who saved $0.

Mathematically it makes sense. If there were no such thing as interest and you know you'll live approximately 20% of your adult life with no income, you'd have to save 20% of everything you make in a lifetime to cover it.

That just matches lifestyle. It doesn't amass wealth. You'd have to invest far heavier than 20% to live a lifestyle above your working years in retirement in a no interest world.

Besides airplanes, which are hideously expensive, and obviously everyone here would like to fly them in retirement, which means a LOT more saved... what would you not be able to do in retirement that you could do when working at that $32,000/year number? Everything paid off, including house, and food and energy bills being the main/largest outflows.

With SSI added to it, how close will you be to $56,516, the median household U.S. income? Will your SSI number be at least $2000/mo? If it's higher, you'll be above the median. Most folks mathematically would call that "rich".

Well, if we were trying to live on $32,000 per year, I suppose we could sell our house and find a nice trailer to move into. Taxes, insurance, maintenance, and repairs on this house are around $11,000 per year in today's dollars. (BTW, that $11,000 would rent you a 1 bedroom apartment in a not so nice complex here.) We could downsize and pull probably $100K out of the house and get that per year figure down a couple of thousand dollars per year, but that's not going to make that big of a difference. What I'm hoping I'll be able to do is to stay in the workforce another 10 years and that $800K will double, and my social security doesn't get "reformed" away. since neither I nor my wife are covered by a pension. My mom stayed in the workforce until she was 80, but health care doesn't have the distaste for older workers that IT does, but I'll keep plugging away until no one will hire me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, we have it good, very good, and I wish more people had what we have. My point is just that unless you have a top 1% income and invest a big chunk of it, or a good upper middle class income and lived by yourself as a pauper, you won't be enjoying what most people would think of as a wealthy person's lifestyle. I still go back to that $8 million figure for being wealthy, that would provide you with $300K or so of income. It's not jet money, but you could live in a very nice house, take a couple of air travel vacations per year, drive nice cars, and go out to dinner whenever you wanted. The investments that are available to the average person just don't earn enough to make very many of us wealthy.

Actually, taxes and health care will be your highest expenses in retirement. Not too different from your working years.

Thanks. That was a few years ago in Ohio. I try to take each kid with me on a trip once per year and show them what Dad does when he's not at home.
Got me thinking of Iowa.

Well, if we were trying to live on $32,000 per year, I suppose we could sell our house and find a nice trailer to move into. Taxes, insurance, maintenance, and repairs on this house are around $11,000 per year in today's dollars. (BTW, that $11,000 would rent you a 1 bedroom apartment in a not so nice complex here.) We could downsize and pull probably $100K out of the house and get that per year figure down a couple of thousand dollars per year, but that's not going to make that big of a difference.

Be careful remaining where cost of living is that high. There's plenty of places where a decent house doesn't cost anywhere near that to maintain.

Actually, taxes and health care will be your highest expenses in retirement. Not too different from your working years.

True. These tend to be forgotten because they're ever present for everyone.

Some people even lobby for one of them to be higher.

Back