Bicycle Friendly Airports?

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
Do any of you know an information source for finding airports that have paved bike lanes or bike trails near the airport? I know that St Simons Island (KSSI), Jekyll Island (09J), and Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island (KFHB) have bike paths accessible from their airports. It would be neat to find more bike friendly airports like this. I'm sure there are also a lot of airports that may not have bike paths but are still bicycle friendly to explore the area and find a good resturant. Do any of you know a good source for finding these places or do you know any around your area that you would recommend? Thanks!

Good idea ,someone needs to start a web site.

Pearson Field, Vancouver WA (KVUO). Lotsa interesting historic stuff nearby, and a hotel and good restaurants on the Columbia River.

Sunriver OR (S21). Complete resort with biking, golf, fishing, hiking, great lodge, you-name-it.

KLIT in Little Rock has bike routes that connect to the River Trail System. The trail will take you all the way to the west side of the county on both sides of the river. So you can bike to the Rivermarket district from your tie down.

Here's a link to the map.

http://arkansasrivertrail.org/maps/

In Northern California, airports I know of that have bike paths either nearby or within a reasonable distance include ACV, AUN, CCR, CIC, EDU, HAF, L36, LVK, MHR, MOD, MRY, O69, OAK, OAR, PAO, SAC, SQL, and WVI. On the Central California coast, there's SBA, SBP, and SMX.

The way I find them is to use Google Maps and set it to display bike routes. It requires careful inspection of the colors to distinguish between bike paths and bike lanes. When in doubt, I switch to satellite mode or street view.

This is good, because it's getting me in the mood to go visit some of these places! :)

I found a few that started at First Flight at Kitty Hawk. Not sure if they connect to a larger trail system or not.

As an aside, it's a relief to have some level ground to pedal on for a change!

KTVC has the TART trails close by, KMCD has lots of bicycle paths adjoining.

The Leesburg, VA airport (JYO) isn't too far (about a mile mostly through Philip Bolen park) from the 32 mile W&OD trail. You can go west to Clarks Gap (there is an nice cafe there) or you can go east down through Ashburn, Sterling, Herdon, Reston, Vienna, Falls Church all the way to DC.

Don't have a good resource to search for bike friendly. Google maps or local knowledge seem to be the main resources.
KONZ connects to the bike path system on Grosse Ile Michigan. Getting off the island involves narrow bridges but isn't that bad. Routes to bike trails off the island are not particularly bike friendly.

Also Put-In-Bay Ohio (3w2) is golf cart / bike friendly.

Deland (KDED) has one just outside the airport, running along US 92.

Mid-State Airport, KPSB in Phillipsburg, PA is adjacent to Black Moshannon State Park. You can walk or ride your bike there, and there's lots of trails. There's a lake there also.

Do any of you know an information source for finding airports that have paved bike lanes or bike trails near the airport? I know that St Simons Island (KSSI), Jekyll Island (09J), and Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island (KFHB) have bike paths accessible from their airports. It would be neat to find more bike friendly airports like this. I'm sure there are also a lot of airports that may not have bike paths but are still bicycle friendly to explore the area and find a good resturant. Do any of you know a good source for finding these places or do you know any around your area that you would recommend? Thanks!

I'm not wild about biking on St Simons. First time I didn't realize there was a "bike path" as the bike path looked like a crappy sidewalk. Those "bike paths" on St Simons are so crappy they don't even show up on GoogleMaps as a bike path. The drivers were rude and yelling at us because we weren't on the bike path. Sorry, but bikes are legally allowed on the road. You can rent bikes at Monkey Wrench, which isn't far from the FBO.

I love biking on Jekyll. The whole place has a 35 mph speed limit and they have no issues with bikes on the road. My daughter and I brought our bikes there in a SR22 a couple of years ago. I did the Turtle Crawl triathlon, so I had my road bike with me. Drivers there were very understanding and had no issues with us on the road. I only went on a bike path once on Jekyll as it was getting dark and my road bike has no reflectors.

Fernandina Beach is great, but I've only biked there during a triathlon. Wow, they have dedicated bike lanes on some of the main roads now, and a few trails as well.

Cedar Key FL as a community is very bicycle friendly - so, by default, KCDK is as well. Can get anywhere on island riding and no such thing here as a major thoroughfare. Bikes are a great way to get to restaurants, museums, shops, the beach, etc.

Lunken (LUK) has a 5 mile loop and connects to The Ohio River Trail.

Moraine Airpark (I73) is very near the Great Miami River Trail.

Cheers

BDU, Boulder CO. Bicyclists are a protected species.

Fisher's Island airport (Elizabeth - 0B8) has bikes for rent at the FBO. The pilot gets one for free, the passengers pay (it used to be $9.00 a couple of years ago).
It's a fun place to ride.

Hilton Head is very bike friendly. When we have rented bikes there, they would deliver and pick up at the condo. It wouldn't surprise me if the rental businesses would deliver to the FBO.

Bike friendly and places to actually bike to? KPVC on the Cape in MA has bike trails that lead from the airport into town, and trails that head to the beaches.

In further consideration, was the OP referring to "bike friendly" as a place where one can toodle around on their city/beach/cruiser bike, or somewhere one can actually ride seriously for aerobic benefit?

I have a folding mountain bike (see below) that I can carry in my Cherokee. Some of the suggestions above that fit what I was looking for is like Cedar Key, Little Rock River Trail, Mackinac Island, and Hilton Head. I am NOT looking for the off-road trails geared toward the ultra serious riders. I do want to get some exercise but would prefer paved bike lanes and trails. I have really appreciated all of the suggestions received so far. I have gone to YouTube and found videos of a lot of the places you suggested. Thanks for the information!
image.jpeg

Chatham on Cape Cod is right on a branch of the Cape Cod Rail Trail, which is 30+ miles of nice riding.

O05 (Chester/Rogers Field) at Lake Almanor, CA does. They even give you a free bike at the FBO to ride into town for lunch.

Back