Find me a plane

ateamer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ateamer
Mission: Just me, an occasional passenger, so two seats is fine. Short flights (300 NM or less, mostly under 100 miles), aerobatics. IFR probably isn't necessary I can't even seem to stay current, let alone actually use it. I am six feet, 230 pounds and not likely to go below 220 (solid weight, not flab).

It has to be Experimental. I love the flexibility and options that E-AB gives. I do want to stick with a Lyco or Conti or Rotax (four-stroke). Tailwheel or trike, doesn't matter. I can learn to fly a taildragger.

We're moving to south Florida and it will probably be on a tiedown or shadeport at best, given the hangar rental rates. I understand that the climate will be an isssue, both for corrosion and heat and UV damage. Does that preclude fabric, and/or wood? What about composite, especially if kept completely out in the open?

An RV-8 is my top choice, and am looking to buy, not build. If not a Van's design, what else fits the bill? Open cockpit would be fine, and being fast is nice but not necessary. I'm used to a 172.

I never left an airplane outside. I did have three that were in open ended hangars and it worked out just fine. U.V is really tough on an airplane. I would buy a five year old ( or so) rans courier with a rotax 912. I'd check the factory first as they usually have a couple for sale on their site. I might also buy a Cessna 180 but a nice one is pricey. Good luck.

An RV-8 is my top choice, and am looking to buy, not build. If not a Van's design, what else fits the bill?
Before I ever finished reading, I thought of an RV-8. Seems to fit the bill.
U.V is really tough on an airplane
And your skin. I need to have a shade of some kind if it's an airplane with a canopy.

there's a pretty nice RV-6 with a mid-time engine on VAF right now. That'll do what you're looking for.

I think he's asking $50k

Jay Honeck, who frequents these pages and will be ****ed that I misspelled his name (which I probably did), bought himself a very spanky RV8. He described the process on this site. A good read if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Sounds like an RV 8 ,would fit the bill.

Sounds like most any RV except the 3, 9, 10, and 12 would meet your needs and easier to find than most. I don't keep up with pricing but the 4 and 6 are probably considerably cheaper than the later models but just as fun. If I were committed to keeping it outside I'd definitely go with metal. Harder to find but equally interesting would be the Mustang 2 or Thorp T-18.

I'm probably close to your size and I fit fine in my RV-4. Stubby legs/long torso though. YMMV.

Nauga,
shaped like Domo

YES! Forgot the RV 4. What a great airplane , good looking, fast easy to fly, no bad habits. Better look at One! also forgot a certified which is a lot of fun to fly. A GCBC citabria!

Back