Planning a nice true cross-country flight

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Howdy fellow aviators,

my friend and I have started talking about taking a nice cross-country flight. And I mean a LONG flight across the actual country of the US of A.

We plan on departing TX and heading east, making stops along the way, such as:
New Orleans, LA
Pensacola, FL (NAS museum)
Charleston, SC
Wilmington, NC
Kittyhawk, NC
Salisbury, MD
Atlantic City, NJ
NYC

Then on the way back, we'll head west and plan on visiting the following places:
Williamsport, PA (Piper museum)
Dayton, OH (AF museum)
Batavia, OH (Sporty's)
Memphis, TN

Of course we are planning 2 weeks for this nice trip, no rush.

Any suggestions on other places to stop by (along the route) and visit?
Or maybe if you live along our route, let me know, we can stop by, grab a bite or beer ;) and shake your hand. (I like meeting fellow PoA members)

Given the route, I like what you came up with. I also like Destin, FL (probably too close to PNS) and if you haven't been, I'd for sure add Cedar Key for lunch.

Just did the AF museum a couple months ago, it was great. If you have to deviate further west on your return and find yourself near KARR you could knock out the Chicago skyline and I have ice cold beer in the fridge at the hanger.

Oh yeah, haven't been yet but planning on going this year...put-in-bay, OH would be worth a look for you.

If you come through Memphis or south of memphis let me know. Ill try to fly up and grab a bite to eat with you.

I think you will be really disappointed stopping at Sportys. If is a warehouse with a dinky showroom.

I think you will be really disappointed stopping at Sportys. If is a warehouse with a dinky showroom.

Meh. Sporty's is an institution. I always find something of interest there. And their Saturday BBQ is fun.

Get one long XC under your belt and it will only whet your appetite for more. It's so much easier with the modern tools we have today...seamless charts for the entire country is a true godsend!

Enjoy!

Nice route.... Personally I would prefer a western tour, but perhaps next time.

Meh. Sporty's is an institution. I always find something of interest there. And their Saturday BBQ is fun.

A short flight north of Dayton is the Neil Armstrong Museum, whch is a better stop than a warehouse/flight school with free weekend hot dogs and Metts.

Last edited:
Your plan sounds like a fun trip, and you have plenty of time for delays. Have a good time!

That seems like too many destinations for two weeks.

Given the route, I like what you came up with. I also like Destin, FL (probably too close to PNS) and if you haven't been, I'd for sure add Cedar Key for lunch.

Just did the AF museum a couple months ago, it was great. If you have to deviate further west on your return and find yourself near KARR you could knock out the Chicago skyline and I have ice cold beer in the fridge at the hanger.

Oh yeah, haven't been yet but planning on going this year...put-in-bay, OH would be worth a look for you.
Thank you for the suggestions, they sound great. Especially the invitation for a cold one, much appreciated.
But the lakes will have to wait till next summer when we go north (wife has a HS reunion in Michigan and we'll turn it into a nice flying vacation).

If you come through Memphis or south of memphis let me know. Ill try to fly up and grab a bite to eat with you.
Wilco!

Replace KSBY with KOXB. :) Much more to see and do.
We're stopping at KSBY for a lunch with a friend and then heading to KOXB before turning north, no worries, good suggestion, thank you.

Thanks for the report. I am not expecting much but we both want to just grab a T-shirt and say we'd been there. It is on our way so why not make a quick stop.

Get one long XC under your belt and it will only whet your appetite for more.
That is exactly what I am afraid of! :)

Nice route.... Personally I would prefer a western tour, but perhaps next time.
Shhhhhh, that's the plan for next year or 2019. But don't tell the wife just yet, she'd chew me out.

A short flight north of Dayton is the Neil Armstrong Museum, whch is a better stop than a warehouse/flight school with free weekend hot dogs and Metts.
We'll save that for next year when we go farther north. Great suggestion, I put it on my list, thank you.

Your plan sounds like a fun trip, and you have plenty of time for delays. Have a good time!
I can just hope I have plenty of time for delays. But I am not bound by schedule much. If I get stuck somewhere, I'm fine. It's my co-pilot who would get in trouble. :) But plan B for his is to hop on an airline and go home.

Yes, we have a lot. That's why we are currently assembling a list with travel times, overnight stops etc and I want to pare them down to fewer to ensure that we have enough buffer. I don't want to be on a tight hectic schedule. That's no way to enjoy a vacation and no way to fly safely. I am expecting to pad a few days for delays to avoid "get-there-itis".

Great suggestions, gentlemen, keep 'em coming!

We live 8 miles from the airport. Hope we can catch up and take you and your Bride out to lunch.

Last edited:
Hey!!! You say "across the actual country of the US of A" and then you ain't goin anywhere West of Texas! We ain't seceded yet. You scared of Mountains? OK, punchlines aside, have fun.

Hey!!! You say "across the actual country of the US of A" and then you ain't goin anywhere West of Texas! We ain't seceded yet. You scared of Mountains? OK, punchlines aside, have fun.
As I mentioned earlier, we will venture west later, maybe next summer or the summer after. Should be fun!

Going between Pensacola and Charleston you could fly over to St Simons Island in Georgia. It will all add 30 miles over the straight line distance from Pensacola and Charleston but makes a great fuel and food stop, not to mention a fun flight up the coast from there to Charleston. St Simons has courtesy cars for transportation around the island. If you like crab cakes or just good down home food, Barbara Jeans Resturant in the village area is really good to me.

Sounds like a fun trip! Have fun.

Hey!!! You say "across the actual country of the US of A" and then you ain't goin anywhere West of Texas!

Does gulf coast to Canada border count as "across"?

A couple of things. I don't think that there is a Piper Museum in Williamsport PA. It is, I think, in Lock Haven. It's about 25 nm to the west of Williamsport.

There are lots of recommendations in earlier threads on airports to use to visit NYC. With your routing after there, stay to the west of the city. Or maybe KHPN (Westchester) if you are willing to deal with the $$$ at their FBOs. Take mass transit into the city from wherever you stop, and I prefer the train to the bus.

Enjoy, and good flying.

Thanks for the report. I am not expecting much but we both want to just grab a T-shirt and say we'd been there. It is on our way so why not make a quick stop.

Sportys is funny. I lived in Dayton for a few years, so the first time I needed something, I flew down to Sporty's - expecting basically an aviation Wal-Mart. I had visions of browsing the entire catalog of items in person. Trying stuff on, actually holding items and comparing them, etc. Like the mecca of aviation shopping. I pulled up to the fancy glass building, and man, I was excited. Who wouldn't be? I walk in the door and I'm still excited - there's an airplane hanging from the ceiling (maybe?), some aviation-looking things around, a cafeteria on the second floor, I can get a medical down the hall, all kinds of stuff. Then I start looking for the products, and see basically a hallway with shelves on both sides. Okay, pretty cool, some hats and tie tacs and a display of headsets. Sure, maybe everything else is just around the corner.... wait, there is no corner, there's just a desk.

Now of course, you go up to the desk, tell them what you want, they call it in and they bring it up to you really quickly - which is nice. But the warehouse with all the stuff is behind that desk and wall. Yeah, not quite what I expected. But of course, I still got a picture of me and plane outside Sporty's!

If our friend in Salisbury cancels, me and my big fat hairy male "bride" will take you up on your offer. :D
(but only if you promise to take us to the top of the Chesapeake bridge with you ;) )

:eek: That was the top of the Delaware memorial bridges. Retired now so no access.

Lesson learned, other half works better.:)

Stop at Jekyll Island, GA. They'll give you a free electric cart to ride around in and there is enough to keep you occupied for food and a trip around the island.

Stop at Jekyll Island, GA. They'll give you a free electric cart to ride around in and there is enough to keep you occupied for food and a trip around the island.
Is this something new? Last time I was in Jekyll I rented a 'Red Bug' electric vehicle from the airport to get around. This is free now?

Going between Pensacola and Charleston you could fly over to St Simons Island in Georgia. It will all add 30 miles over the straight line distance from Pensacola and Charleston but makes a great fuel and food stop, not to mention a fun flight up the coast from there to Charleston. St Simons has courtesy cars for transportation around the island. If you like crab cakes or just good down home food, Barbara Jeans Resturant in the village area is really good to me.

Already on our itinerary! :) Thanks for the suggestion, we'll look into the restaurant as well.
This is a tight contender with the Jekyll Island nextdoor. ;)

A couple of things. I don't think that there is a Piper Museum in Williamsport PA. It is, I think, in Lock Haven. It's about 25 nm to the west of Williamsport.

There are lots of recommendations in earlier threads on airports to use to visit NYC. With your routing after there, stay to the west of the city. Or maybe KHPN (Westchester) if you are willing to deal with the $$$ at their FBOs. Take mass transit into the city from wherever you stop, and I prefer the train to the bus.

Enjoy, and good flying.
You are right, the Piper museum sure is in Lock Haven, my bad.
In NJ, I will be parking at Linden which is conveniently located a stone throw from my buddy's house. $20/night parking fee seems very reasonable to me for such a huge metropolitan area.
AND we get to fly the Hudson river VFR corridor, yay!

:eek: That was the top of the Delaware memorial bridges. Retired now so no access.

Lesson learned, other half works better.:)
My bad, it looked like the Chesapeake Bridge, oops. Too bad you're retired now, I love heights. But congratulations.
And to clarify (for all), I am not traveling with my "bride", "significant other", "better half" or any other PC version of a male companion. I am leaving the wife at home, she doesn't have enough vacation and she doesn't like flying that much anyway. So I'll be flying with my pilot buddy. We are only friends, nothing more. :D

Sounds like a great destination, thanks!
Now I have to replace the St Simmons Island stop with this one, dangit! Or do I? We can call both airports ahead and if the crew car or electric buggy is taken, we will divert to the other airport.

Great suggestions, guys, thank you. Keep 'em coming.

QUESTION: Any good fuel/food stops around Alexandria, LA? We'd like to get fuel for the airplane and us in that general swampy hot humid LA area. But I read some negative reviews on the newly-managed monopolistic single FBO on the field. So looking for alternatives.

Monroe, LA is the friendliest I've ever been to. The Waterfront Grill is a great dinner place... maybe they do lunch too.

When you do the Hudson River route you might want to try it with a Central Park transition (not everyone is aware that it is possible). Start by flying it inside the Bravo (ATC will typically give you 1500 or 2000 ft) starting from the south and going northbound. Ask for the Central Park Transition to the East River. When you reach the middle of Central Park (you can't miss it...it's the large rectangular area of trees right in the middle of Manhattan...you can even ask the controller to call your turn) you will turn right to cross over the middle of Manhattan until you get to the East River on the other side. Then turn right again to follow the East River south past the UN Building, the East River Bridges (including the Brooklyn Bridge), and the east side of lower Manhattan. It is spectacular. When you get down to the southern end of Manhattan, you can either ask to descent to ca. 1000 ft into the exclusion to circle the Statue of Liberty (if you haven't already done so...it will be straight ahead) and then head north up the Hudson at 1000 ft, or just ask to descend out of the Bravo to 1000 ft and turn right north up the Hudson with the Freedom Tower 800 ft above you.

Have fun and be safe.

Is this something new? Last time I was in Jekyll I rented a 'Red Bug' electric vehicle from the airport to get around. This is free now?

We flew down for Sunday brunch in April and the Red Bug was free, but we were only there about 2-3 hours. The gentleman there wouldn't take my money, so I bought a tee shirt to help with the power bill.

QUESTION: Any good fuel/food stops around Alexandria, LA? We'd like to get fuel for the airplane and us in that general swampy hot humid LA area. But I read some negative reviews on the newly-managed monopolistic single FBO on the field. So looking for alternatives.

AEX has decent food at the FBO. If you're fine with going a little south CWF has an outstanding po'boy and a freezer full of frozen goodies. Also ARA has some of the best food I've ever eaten. It's usually a catfish filet, fried creamed corn, fried cheese sticks, and a pasta or gumbo of some kind. I don't know if the food at ARA is for military only though. HSA has a good diner on the field too but it's only open during the week. Always saw something cool when we landed there though.

Unless something has changed, it is "free" for $50.

I agree. If you plan to spend one night at each stop, that only leaves one day for the unexpected. And some of those stops definitely deserve more than one night.

But if you are mainly doing it for the fun of flying, and only plan some of those stops as meal and fuel stops, you can do it. But it will be grueling.

Of course, the "grueling" part depends partly on the plane. How fast can you go? For a trip like that, fast is good.

I'm planning two weeks just for one destination. Lol

It'll also be my first cross country further than 500 miles. I'm leaving a full week to get back home in case of weather, but it's a one day trip In the mooney if the weather holds. I can't really afford to miss work unscheduled so I'm planning for the worst case. If we have to leave later or stop in the middle to let weather pass, we'll have plenty of time.

Salty.... Good plan. Best alternative is a credit card in your wallet!

Salty.... Good plan. Best alternative is a credit card in your wallet!
Yep. Coming up to your neck of the woods. Flying in to 2g2 over towards wheeling / Pittsburgh.

Ok, it's across the state, but compared to Florida, it's not far. ;)

AEX has decent food at the FBO. If you're fine with going a little south CWF has an outstanding po'boy and a freezer full of frozen goodies. Also ARA has some of the best food I've ever eaten. It's usually a catfish filet, fried creamed corn, fried cheese sticks, and a pasta or gumbo of some kind. I don't know if the food at ARA is for military only though. HSA has a good diner on the field too but it's only open during the week. Always saw something cool when we landed there though.
I'll have to talk to you more about those. Plan on a dead cow and hoppy beverage this weekend! :)

Monroe, LA is the friendliest I've ever been to. The Waterfront Grill is a great dinner place... maybe they do lunch too.
I stopped in Monroe last summer for gas because I had heard the same thing about them being so friendly. Turns out you have to pay a $25 fee for that friendliness and to get the "free" snacks and ice cream. Even if you top off your 88 gallon tanks.

Sounds like a great trip. Have Fun!!

Also Southern Soul BBQ at KSSI at St Simons. DDD has been there. Looks like great BBQ every time I see the episode. You can walk to it from the airport.

Also Southern Soul BBQ at KSSI at St Simons. DDD has been there. Looks like great BBQ every time I see the episode. You can walk to it from the airport.

Oh now you've done it.
Why oh why did you have to go and post a video of such great looking pulled pork ever? I AM HUNGRY NOW!!!
You wanna meet us there, Brian? Pulled pork sandwich on me!

Oh now you've done it.
Why oh why did you have to go and post a video of such great looking pulled pork ever? I AM HUNGRY NOW!!!
You wanna meet us there, Brian? Pulled pork sandwich on me!

I might do that. I still need to do my long XC for my commercial. That definitely works for a stop. :D

Back