Does stratus care if I am 14 or 28 volts?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Does my stratus 2 know / care what the voltage of my plane is?

1 plane is run on lots of new volts and magic.
The Grumman however is run on 14 volts but they are older volts left over from the 70s.

If I plug the business end of the stratus into an cig adapter in the 14v G-Machine will there be an issue?

I am digging around the website and am not seeing anything (or can't find it)
I don't want to plug it in and create some sort of issue with this stuff.

What say the Pilots of A?

If this is a dumb question, and I should know better, Fire my CFi, Bonanza, then Mods, Please Delete Problem solved.

Just remember all the electrons in your Grumman are recycled. So it's a green system.

As to the Stratus, I have no idea. It's so simple to make supplies that handle both these days I'd be surprised if it cared, but I don't know. I do know that electronics and the magic work via smoke. If you let the smoke out, they don't work any more.

Dude it's USB. Since that hadn't been invented when your plane was born it just won't work. Sorry.

You could try a time converter but those flux capacitors just aren't stable.

No idea on the immediate solution, but a longer term one is one (maybe two?) of these. I'd go visit Trevor's shop (TechAero) and see how soon he can get it done for you.

(click image to see product details)

No idea on the immediate solution, but a longer term one is one (maybe two?) of these. I'd go visit Trevor's shop (TechAero) and see how soon he can get it done for you.

(click image to see product details)

$357 (<-- If I knew how to capitalize that I would have) ???????!!!!??!?!?!
The whole plane didn't cost that much...

$357 (<-- If I knew how to capitalize that I would have) ???????!!!!??!?!?!
The whole plane didn't cost that much...
The prices for these devices has gone down. The one we put in 55WB a few years ago was closer to $500.

But it does the right job for powering both the Stratus 2S and iPad at same time.

And I guess we should be asking what it is you're trying to accomplish with your question.... Are you thinking of "straight wiring" the power wire to your electrical system?

No need to buy an expensive panel thing that just gives you USB power. The Stratus is powered by USB and is neither 12 volt nor 24 volt. The USB adapter you plug into the cigarette lighter of either airplane converts the power to the USB spec (which is 5 volts).

Stratus requires a 5V USB spec compliant power source.

So what matters is that your USB cig adapter can handle a 12 volt system. I've never seen one made that can't. The cheap ones will handle 12V and the better ones will handle 12V or 24V.

So - plug a 12V usb cig adapter into your airplane - plug your Stratus into that and you are good to go. I doubt you'd find a USB cig adapter that wasn't 12 volt compatible (as it wouldn't work with most any car if it wasn't). If it works in your car it will work in your airplane.

And I guess we should be asking what it is you're trying to accomplish with your question.... Are you thinking of "straight wiring" the power wire to your electrical system?

No, I am just not an electrical engineer.
My new plane has a cigarette lighter plug (I can call it that instead of an AC outlet since it is next to the ash tray)

I just want to make sure I can plug the stratus into it so it will remain charged in flight.

Maybe I am naive but couldn't I just plug one of these doohickey's in and call it a day?

11-13313a.jpg

My new plane has a cigarette lighter plug (I can call it that instead of an AC outlet since it is next to the ash tray)

I just want to make sure I can plug the stratus into it so it will remain charged in flight.

Maybe I am naive but couldn't I just plug one of these doohickey's in and call it a day?

11-13313a.jpg

Should be fine. And I don't know how much current Stratus draws (iPads draw more thabn some USB adapters will produce) but it may only hold it's current battery level not charge it. Depends...

No need to buy an expensive panel thing that just gives you USB power. The Stratus is powered by USB and is neither 12 volt nor 24 volt. The USB adapter you plug into the cigarette lighter of either airplane converts the power to the USB spec.

So what matters is that your USB cig adapter can handle a 12 volt system. I've never seen one made that can't. The cheap ones will handle 12V and the better ones will handle 12V or 24V.

So - plug a 12V usb cig adapter into your airplane - plug your Stratus into that and you are good to go. I doubt you'd find a USB cig adapter that wasn't 12 volt compatible (as it wouldn't work with most any car if it wasn't). If it works in your car it will work in your airplane.

Outstanding!
Thanks @jesse!

The problem is that if you get the really cheap USB plug in things, they are often made using the electrons that got swept up off the floor of the electron factory. Thus, they tend to be pretty dirty and this can cause interference in radios and the like. (I hope that wasn't too technical)

11-13313a.jpg

One of those things works just fine in my '05 GMC.. Except get the $10.00 one. The $5.00 only worked for 3 days......

11-13313a.jpg

There should be a voltage spec somewhere on that. If it allows 28V, it should say so. Many do; cars weren't always 12V either.

If it doesn't say, I wouldn't mess with it.

I feel sad for the Cirrus. Its been relegated to 'the other plane', while the new bird is "The Grumman".

:(

I feel sad for the Cirrus. Its been relegated to 'the other plane', while the new bird is "The Grumman".

:(

When 52F is down for the runway repair, It will be all red handles, chutes, and unicorns again.

Saw this one the other day that supposedly supports 12 and 24V
http://ipadpilotnews.com/2017/06/best-usb-charging-accessory-pilots/
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/flight-gear-dual-usb-charger.html
Only problem that I can see is it's only available from Sportys, $18.95. F that place and their high prices and shipping.

We've had no problems with the Aukey or Anker plugs in our 12/14V 172. Some of the really cheap Chinese/no brand ones we tried did create noise in the headsets.

Using this one now with no issues
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YWEEOX4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure to get one that is at least 2.4A per port. The older 500mA and 1A models likely won't work.

Watch out with the cheapo-USB converters. I had one in mine.. Whenever I'd turn it on, I'd get unbearable static in the comms. I had to get a nicer one to fix that issue.

They are dual voltage and have not produced any radio interference in any aircraft I've tested them in.

Specs doesnt specify any input voltage on that one, and not necessarily the most legit, but a QA on that from 2 years ago said that it requires 12V input and won't work on 24V.
If you scroll down on that link a bit, it says there is a newer version out and gives a link to that. The new one specifies that it handles 12/24 volts.

If you scroll down on that link a bit, it says there is a newer version out and gives a link to that. The new one specifies that it handles 12/24 volts.

Thank you. Bought the newer one

When 52F is down for the runway repair, It will be all red handles, chutes, and unicorns again.

The Grumman could stay at Candyland during the closure. Another guy is bringing his 7A over but there might be room for one more.

Let me know when you know for sure.
Wingspan is 32 ft

11-13313a.jpg

The Stratus battery is pretty good, I flew 4.5 yesterday and had it on the whole time and when I shut it down the battery was still at 68%. I have never once had to plug it in during flight.

Back